I have just got my "small dslr" Its a Canon 650d that i have mated with my Canon EF 28mm f1.8 USM Lens.
This is to be my small/compactish camera for walking around with, street use and general snap happy days.
My other camera is a Canon 60d.
First Impressions of the 650 compared to the 60 -
1. Despite being only marginally smaller on paper the 650 feels much smaller in comparison.
2. The 650 feels much lighter in weight.
3. Touch screen is really quick and responsive, it could be useful in certain circumstances.
4. VF focussing speed is quick and seems accurate.
5. Big Plus - The live view focussing is vastly superior comapred to the 60, its really quick and up there with the G12 - I understand this may be slow in comparison to other compact systems but for me its fast enough and good enough.
I was torn between getting a true compact such as the FF X100 or Canon G1x But the "spare" 38mm lens and preference for DSLR swung it for me,
I have had this for 48 Hours, i will post more findings when i have them,