Birds Show Birds

Hi Sue

Yours is an Australian Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus maxillaries)

I saw mine in South Africa and mine is a Common Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus caeruleus) ……… which can also be seen as far North as parts of southern Spain and Portugal and as far south as New Guinea, Sumatra, ****, Borneo, Philippines, etc.

Not sure about any in N America

Best image I have - taken from the back of a 4 x 4 in S Africa

BSK_1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BH_3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gorgeous birds, Bill :) I love them, just rarely see them in the wild. Today was just dumb luck.

Hmmm. I wonder which country it was that you posted up there, that the forum script thought was bad language. LOL!!! Sometimes I think this stuff is taken way too far :)

Probably ****

J a………v ….a

A duck walks into a pharmacy....

and asks the pharmacist for some lip balm (he's been out in the wind and the sun all day, obviously).

The pharmacist (who had never seen a duck buy lip balm before) asks, "will you be paying with cash or by credit card?".

The duck looks at the pharmacist like he's crazy. "Where would I keep a wallet? Can't you just put it on my bill?"

14421399697_e5cd706554_b.jpg
A duck walks into a pharmacy.... by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

Bald Eagle in Juneau, AL (another has been included in my travel report). All taken with Fuji X-T1 and 55-200 zoomlens. Too bad that Fuji does not have a long telelens yet, otherwise I would have had a great time shooting eagles in Alaska. E.g. we were in Ketchekan, where we saqw dozens of Eagles circling, diving, and resting. Amazing.

View attachment 95035

p650013921-6.jpg

This one looks like the one in the travel report but it's a different shot:

View attachment 95036

View attachment 95037

Wow!!! on the eagle photos! You did beautifully with your available lens, Peter!!

And "how incredibly cute!!" on your darling yellow robin, Darren! The closest bird in resemblance that we have here in the eastern USA would be one of our spring warblers, I think.

Love this thread - and it's The One that makes me periodically wish for a serious compact with an interchangeable lens!

Some really great captures going on here! I regularly find the onslaught of bird shots a bit boring (no offense to bird shooters around the globe!), but this collection does excite me!

Captured with a measly Sony HX9v travel zoom, and cropped. Nothing amazing at 100% but displayed like this, it'll do just fine I think.

Cormorant, sitting on a cliff in the Western Sahara.

14503818919_5202f680fa_b.jpg
Cormorant by bartjeej, on Flickr

Back