Micro 4/3 GM1 is SMALL (and impressive)!

Something I'm enjoying very much is just how small the GM1 is, and how it can be fitted with every m43 lens regardless of size. Suddenly the Pana 7-14 becomes something much less obtrusive. The Voigtlander 25 can fit in a jacket pocket. And with a light prime like the Oly 17, 25, 45 or Pana 14.5, you can hang it around your neck and barely notice it is there. It suddenly occurred to me that unless I want fast burst modes or specific handling, I have no real need to carry the EM-5 or GH3 for general shooting, either.

Interestingly, the raws process somewhat differently from the EM-5 and GH3, perhaps because the GM1 uses a newer Panasonic sensor instead of the Sony of the aforementioned beasties. I'm still learning the quirks of the GM1 raws in Lightroom. If Panasonic had its own raw processor, it would be interesting to see how they could implement the many special effects and presets of the GM1 body. LR4 does not support the GM1, but Raw Therapee does, as does Photo Ninja. No way am I using that horrible Silkypix software, though. Ugh!

I've had my GM-1 for several months now, and was worried that the novelty would wear off. Every now and then i pine for my old X-10 or S100; but, when i think about the pocket-ability and compactness of the GM-1, and its great sensor, the feeling goes away. i shoot primarily with the 12-32 and the 45mm. A few recent photos with the GM-1 which I've posted elsewhere on SC and mu43.

P8680010-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P8670061-Edit1.jpg

P8670752.jpg

I love taking pictures with that little camera, it is the right camera for my needs. At the moment I don't even feel any urge to take my E-M5. I love the implementation of the touch screen of the GM1 so much and that it is so easy to change the size of the AF field so easily. I have used that so excessively these days that I do not want to miss it anymore. I love the focus peaking, a feature the E-M5 is missing.

It is about three weeks ago when I wrote that and it is still true. My GM1 is about one month old and I have not used any other camera for a month now. This little camera is that great and I have a lot of fun with it. I use my 20mm and my 14mm nearly exclusively (and most of the time the 20mm) and I am very fine with that.

Let me finish this post with a shot I took with the GM1 and the 14mm.

14690498261_7e8afd20d0_o.jpg

Untitled by pictor / strolling shooter, on Flickr

Still in my honeymoon stage with the GM1, so far so good. Except for those times that banding affect some of my shots, all is well.

Here's one with the 20 pancake...
_1000213_072014.jpg

And with the PL15... (suddenly I don't know which one I prefer LOL, I still prefer the FOV of the 20 and it's a pancake size. OTOH, the PL15 renders nicely, AF is quick, and built like a tank.)
_1000301_072014.jpg

I'll keep both as of the moment.

I've been using the GM1 for about a month now, and I am enjoying it immensely.

It's like an upgraded Panasonic GH3 in a camera the size of a Canon Ixus, which is quite amazing. The ability to use any m43 lens makes it extremely versatile. At the same time, I bought an Olympus 17/1.8 and 25/1.8, which are with the camera all the time now. Image quality is at least equal to the EM-5 and GH3, and in some ways better, as it handles white balance and Lightroom conversion in a more pleasing way.

The controls are a bit fiddly, and that's even for me with small hands and fingers, but it works out okay. Video is super, just as good as the GH3 and better in higher ISO situations. Unfortunately it lacks 1080 50p, maxing out at 25p, which means no slow motion, but for normal speed video its fine. Battery life isn't the best, but that's part of the package when it comes to a small battery powering a large sensor.

The mechanical shutter is surprisingly quiet, almost sounding like the leaf shutter in the Ricoh GXR or even quieter, and the electronic shutter is truly silent. It's around my neck on a constant basis now, and travels with the Ricoh GR and Pana LX7 in my bag. I barely touch a larger camera for personal work now.

Posted elsewhere on the site. GM-1 with 12-32 kit lens.

P8680244-Edit.jpg

P8680236-Edit-Edit.jpg

P8680291-Edit.jpg

P8680439.jpg

P8680347-Edit.jpg

P8680355.jpg

P8680370.jpg

P8680317.jpg

NY shots, first w/ 12-32, rest w/ Oly 25mm:
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Back