Birds Show Birds

Two Ducks - Mr & Mrs

Blur on both because my shutter speed was too low and the first is over sharpened - the white edge to the bird gives it away

TD_5.jpg
TD_6.jpg

One Greedy Heron

All the technical excuses in the world for the quality of this shot - rushed, big crop etc., - pity I did not have more time
taken today in the UK
He or she swallowed it in one go!!! ……… "bit of a mouthful"

Anyone recognise the fish, small Pike, (Jack Pike in the UK).

I suppose this is an example of "gorging"

fish_.jpg

fish_2.jpg

fish_3.jpg

One Greedy Heron

All the technical excuses in the world for the quality of this shot - rushed, big crop etc., - pity I did not have more time
taken today in the UK
He or she swallowed it in one go!!! ……… "bit of a mouthful"

Anyone recognise the fish, small Pike, (Jack Pike in the UK).

I suppose this is an example of "gorging"

fish_.jpg

fish_2.jpg

fish_3.jpg

WOW, that fish is huge.

Reminds me of a snake eating.

Today's offering - trying to bore you all

Lucky morning………. and a beautiful morning here and a lucky one for me.

Went out with my morning cuppa - tripod set up over my shoulder -heard this kind of buzzing on the house wall above my head - and looked up and there's a Short Toed Treecreeper - and it look as though it maybe nesting in the side of the house - we have an old stone farmhouse with lots of holes in it.

They move quickly but a got a few shots - bright sun and shadowy conditions - I prefer a more even light

Here's a Square one - taken with my usual "SC" gear - now enlarged slightly as I've added a grip

TC_square.jpg

big wingspan on that Osprey, Mike
no messing with the sticks

Interesting BoP vid I was watching yesterday
apparently it was taken some 30 years + ago by a Spanish wildlife photographer

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yz7FFlFy8eM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike - that is a fantastic picture of that Osprey in the process of nest building! Beautiful!

Bill - I don't know what the narrator was saying but that is one hell of a video! All I can say is watch the complete video...and be thankful you're not a goat or anything close to that size, if there's a Golden Eagle around!:eek: The other day while I was walking my dog on a very rural road with quite a bit of open space and a nice stream running through it..,out here where I live, I suddenly saw a BIG shadow over me. I looked up and saw a Bald Eagle as he swooped over me (and my 26 pound Sheltie - like a miniature collie) and he couldn't have been more than about 15 feet from me when I saw him! I hate to think about him going after my dog. Great video!

There is a feeling that the Eagle is a falconers Eagle - trained to do what it has done - you could go further and think the goat may have been semi tethered …… but the Spanish wildlife photographer who took the clip was well respected so probably not.
Anyway it is a great achievement as it was taken over 30 years ago …….without all the modern stuff we have today

Narrator and music - spanish drama at it's best!!

Wait...so it's not a "Golden Eagle" as the clip says? I wondered about that, knowing they are large birds...but... Hard to fathom that anyone could or would train a bird of prey like that to soar down to take the goat to his nest way up on the cliffside! I'll stick with believing it was real, as it seems more believable.

Very impressive indeed, Bill...let alone it being filmed over 30 years ago!

Wait...so it's not a "Golden Eagle" as the clip says? I wondered about that, knowing they are large birds...but... Hard to fathom that anyone could or would train a bird of prey like that to soar down to take the goat to his nest way up on the cliffside! I'll stick with believing it was real, as it seems more believable.

Very impressive indeed, Bill...let alone it being filmed over 30 years ago!

Yes it is a Golden Eagle, BB ………. but some have said that it is a Golden Eagle trained from young to hunt for man - trained by a Falconer

I don't think that they could lift the goat for long - the way they have "worked it out" is to fly from the top of the mountain and use their weight to effectively knock the prey down, falling using the preys momentum ……. quite smart really, much smatter than a dumb goat

They still use Golden Eagles for hunting in places like Tibet and Mongolia etc., - taken out of the nest and reared by man

<iframe src="DSC01056" width="534" height="800" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe src="DSC01081" width="1024" height="683" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe src="DSC01088" width="1024" height="682" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Back