Sony Grab bag for my RX1R

I'm really excited about my new RX1R (upgrade from a classic Canon 40D) and look forward to sharing on this forum. First order of business was to choose the right protection gear. I wanted a quick grab bag that could hold the minimal essentials, while also providing protection from bumps and drops. I plan to shoot outdoors and be out-and-about mostly. The Lowepro lens bag is a perfect fit with the grip and hood attached. Really well padded, compact and light. Total weight when loaded is 1.95 lbs. Photos: Dropbox - File Deleted

Fotodiox camera grip Amazon.com : Fotodiox Pro, All Metal Black Camera Hand Grip for Sony RX1 DSC-RX1 and RX1R DSC-RX1R Cyber-Shot Digital Cameras with Battery Access : Camera & Photo
Lowepro lens case 11x11cm Amazon.com : Lowepro Lens Case 11 x 11 cm (Black) : Photographic Equipment Bag Accessories : Camera & Photo
Generic lens caps (4-pack) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZIFWSY/
Generic hood Amazon.com : EzFoto 49mm Tilted Vented Metal Lens Hood Shade for Leica, Contax Zeiss, Voigtlander Lens : Camera Lens Hoods : Camera & Photo

Congrats on the RX1R and thanks for sharing your bag solution!

I am using a Crumpler Pleasure Dome when I throw the camera in my laptop bag. Otherwise, it is in my small Timbuk2 Snoop Messenger, along with another camera (currently A7/55) and a few accessories.

Thanks Krugorg for the reply. Here's one of my first photos out the camera. Really cool Plymouth that I found parked outside my gym.

13576424375_bf1450bc3f_b.jpg

What do you think of the Fotodiox grip? I'm very much considering that exact one. Is it well made? Does it fit in perfectly, and remain tight? Any play, or does it feel like it's one with the camera?

Fotodiox fits perfectly to the camera, highly recommended. It improves the ergonomics of the camera.

What do you think of the Fotodiox grip? I'm very much considering that exact one. Is it well made? Does it fit in perfectly, and remain tight? Any play, or does it feel like it's one with the camera?

The Fotodiox grip is what I was looking for to get more shots at low angles, since the screen does not tilt and I'm scared to drop the camera.

Overall build quality of the grip is solid, the only design flaw is a small hairline gap near the battery area.

The Fotodiox grip is what I was looking for to get more shots at low angles, since the screen does not tilt and I'm scared to drop the camera.

Overall build quality of the grip is solid, the only design flaw is a small hairline gap near the battery area.

I would agree about the build and quality of this grip. The only shortcoming that I have found is that with the grip fitted on the camera, it is a bit difficult to remove the memory card from its slot because of the additional depth created by the grip.

I can contribute only one thing to this thread...
Billingham Hadleys.

I had/have 4 of them in different sizes from small to large pro (mind you, large pro is larger than large)

On a small, before the RX1 even existed, I could carry:
NEX 7 + 24mm 1.8
5n w/EVF + 50mm 1.8
CV 15mm UW Heliar
CV 35mm 1.2 II
Cleaning kit (cloth, wet sheets, brush)
5 extra batteries
Pelican SD card case for 12 cards
Phone
Sunglasses
Wallet
iPod + earphones

From there, you can imagine you can fit 2 RX1s comfortably plus much more.
I almost never used the Hadley Pro (read medium sized) that I had because it was too in-between.
I use, almost daily, my Hadley Large. Whether its just for a day bag, or a job bag.

On a job, the Hadley Large fits:

Video gear:
GH2 + 14-42
irig pre amp
Audio Technica shotgun mic
Edirol recorder
run-n-gun rig that works with all of the above together
+
2 RX1s
Pelicase for 12 SD cards
3 batteries
RX100
cleaning kit
notebook
pens
wallet
etc etc etc

I sold the small because I wasn't using it as much (although I sometimes miss it)

Again...daily...Hadley Large just because you may want to pick up stuff on the go or on the way back home from the supermarket.
...or carry your DT770 headphones...and an umbrella.

If you can get one second hand...do it...they last for years.

I can contribute only one thing to this thread...
Billingham Hadleys.

I had/have 4 of them in different sizes from small to large pro (mind you, large pro is larger than large)

If you can get one second hand...do it...they last for years.

+1 to the Billingham line of bags.

I carry my Leica kit in either the Hadley Pro or Hadley Small.

Attachments

• 20140807-104049-©DuaneLPandorf-L1029870.jpg
    20140807-104049-©DuaneLPandorf-L1029870.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 185
I recently picked up a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack - its pretty much perfect for a RX1/r. I went with the Jumbo vs the regular size, because all it really does is add a water bottle holder, which works really well for a speedlight or something like that. The bag fits the RX1 + any accessories I can think of, plus there is enough space for the rest of your everyday items. I took it a big crowded EDM festival this weekend and it was just great. Really a perfect bag for smaller cameras like this IMO.

Back