Canon Showcase G1X Images

I'm seriously looking at LR4 though. The highlight recovery and CA correction look like a great couple of reasons to update my software. Not that the G1X suffers from CA, but a few of the Micro 4/3 lenses do.

I must know if what kind of bird that is who's resting in such a beautiful spot in your third photo, Dennis? I don't think we have them over here in the states.
Hi BB
It's a Jackdaw but I'm not a birder so I checked.
My book says its range is Europe ,N Africa and W Asia.

Thanks Karen. I commend you on your willpower (albeit husband-assisted :)). What were your initial impressions of the camera? I ordered mine online so I didn't get to form an opinion by handling or using it before purchasing. Very glad I did obviously!.

Big and chunky was my initial impressions of the camera. To be honest, I'd have dismissed this camera on its outward appearance alone had it not been for your flickr photostream. Its your G1X pictures that have consistently caught my eye of late and I really like what I see. So, anyway, my willpower finally shut up shop today because I'm now expecting delivery of my own G1X by the end of this coming week! :eek:

Big and chunky was my initial impressions of the camera. To be honest, I'd have dismissed this camera on its outward appearance alone had it not been for your flickr photostream. Its your G1X pictures that have consistently caught my eye of late and I really like what I see. So, anyway, my willpower finally shut up shop today because I'm now expecting delivery of my own G1X by the end of this coming week! :eek:

I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.
Just by looking at it , nobody could fall in love with the G1X but the more I shoot with it the more I like it - far more than my X100.

I'll give you an example of how this G1X beats the X100.
Yesterday I took some shots of a Rose in the garden. The Fuji went up to ISO 800 to accommodate the DR - but I had to set the camera that way - and the image looks great.
Meanwhile the Canon quietly took the shot and handled the DR perfectly ( Auto Mode ) and with a sharper lens and more resolution it looks even better. There's a lot of clever technology going on in the Canon.

Of course Fuji colours are lovely but the Canon produces some beautiful muted tones when the sun isn't too bright.

If Canon uses this sensor in their new ILC with a range of small lenses it will be a compelling buy.

Wow, congratulations! Enjoy the new camera. I'll be watching out to see what you do with it.

The B&W look fantastic (do I see a Leica look ;). What's your workflow? You mention slightly superior DR and somewhat less noise of the OM-D. On the other hand, the output from the G1X looks less digital to mee than what I see online from the Olympus. Maybe it's your PP which does the magic.

Thank you, but I don't think there's too much magic involved on my part! My b&w workflow on the G1X is basically the same as I use for any camera.

- Open the raw file in Adobe Camera Raw and mess with the recovery, fill light, and exposure sliders to draw out the highlights and shadows and get the exposure right.
- Apply some mild noise reduction if necessary
- Apply a filter in Nik Silver Efex. Over time I have played with just about every filter and effect in Silver Efex, but now I use the one filter about 95% of the time which is a modified, milder and frameless version of the "Fine Art, High Key, Framed" filter. I don't touch the film, noise, vignette, or burning options anymore.
- The SFX filter pushes the histogram to the right, so I adjust the tone curve to pull back some of the darker shades to a true black and give the image some contrast
- Sometimes I will open the image in Nik Color Efex and add a low strength color tint through the "Cross Processing" filter, or a vignette with the "darken/lighten center" filter (NOT the vignette filter!).

Travel Camera

IMG_2936_Snapseed.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_2943_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2960_Snapseed.jpg

Oh no, I feel some camera envy coming on! Very nice set, love the colours. Got any more?
I tried to use the Fuji X100 as much as I could but truthfully this is a much better camera and as I became more and more disappointed with the X100 my affection for the G1X grows.

IMG_2814_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2740_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2868_Snapseed.jpg

I tried to use the Fuji X100 as much as I could but truthfully this is a much better camera and as I became more and more disappointed with the X100 my affection for the G1X grows.

IMG_2814_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2740_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2868_Snapseed.jpg

G1X a better camera than the X100? Hmmm....well....maybe for some people. The G1X has zero appeal for me, and my allegiance to Canon goes back more than 25 years. I just don't consider it in the same league as the X100. But...horses for courses!

Very nice portrait with lovely soft tones just right for a wedding shot :) I'm beginning to appreciate a certain softness to an image now despite years of only ever looking at the sharpness! Love the light in their hair and on the back of the girl's neck too.

The RNLI ( Royal National Lifeboat Institution ) were out this afternoon demonstrating their use of Newfoundland Rescue Dogs ; and there's me thinking that all they had were Lifeboats!

IMG_3154_Snapseed.jpg

They certainly know how to bark. I could hear them over a mile away.

I love these pictures, especially as I've just returned from north Wales too and taken some exact same pictures with my new g1x. On an iPad at the moment but will upload some of them....I'm a new forum member too. Love the g1x pictures I've seen so far. Love my camera too, has its limitations...mainly my cognitive ability...but I'm so impressed with the level of detail it captures, quite superb!...David, Wales.

Beautiful images!! I recently acquired a G1X and it is taking me some time to learn it's strengths and weaknesses coming from my daily camera as an event photographer: D700 with heavy glass. So far I love the G1X and I think it may be a hard sell to many though. Many folks see the high price tag and associate that with great images. I am not a landscape photographer, however these images reflect talent...something that a high price camera does NOT provide. On some upcoming trips I hope I can capture images close to these...job well done AND they show what the G1X can REALLY do.

Todd

Back