Canon Showcase G1X Images

One in my serie 'Fietsen' (Bikes). More like these on my website.

IMG_0922.jpg

I missed owning a G series Canon. I always liked the build quality and handling. Years ago, I owned a Sony R1. It was ugly and heavy for a a built in zoom lens camera, but could that lens produce great image quality. The G1X sort of met a G series with the R1. I like it. Only downside is af, macro and small ovf.

I think that they are quite good, but have not played around with them all that much since shooting in raw locks out any jpeg customisation. When I have tried shooting jpeg it was using the HTP feature which is essentially a dynamic range expansion similar to that found on some other cameras where it uses minimum ISO levels of 200 or 400 at maximum strength. I didn't notice any nasty artefacts in the jpegs so the processor seems to work very well. It's just a pain that you can't save a raw for safety when experimenting with the jpeg options.

Very nice museum shots! If that is an interest of yours, you might like to take a look at Carolyn Hammett's work at p.base.com
Best,
Krugman

Hi everyone! Had my own thread going until I found this one LOL

Anyhoo - had the camera for just over a week now and finally got to play this morning in the dark. Here's the first shot straight from cam (JPG) second shot with slight sharpen and GIMP edit. Hand held, no flash, zoomed into 60mm... Was playing with the settings so can't remember what format I was using LOL

Shot at f5.6, 1/50th sec, ISO - 5000

web1.jpg

web2.jpg

It actually does subdued colours very well. Sometimes I see a Leicaesque Look.
In bright sunshine things are not quite as good with more saturation than I'd like but RAW files can be worked on quite easily.

I've hesitated to say this before but for me this is a better camera than my Fuji X100 ; images are much crisper and low noise is remarkable.
It also beats my m4/3 gear and my Sony A55 for IQ ; just wish it was nicer to use.

I have to agree Nippa.

Fuji make lovely cameras that handle very nicely and are capable of great results - I have an X-E1 kit - but every time I start processing RAW files off my G1X, I have to admit that as far as IQ goes, there's really not that much to choose between the two.

I also have the three Sigma DP Merrills, which IMO are unbeatable, especially for landscape. Just like the G1X though, they can be pigs to use.

I think of the Fuji as my 'nice'n'easy' camera and the Sigmas and G1X as the ones that give me a hard time - ultimately rewarding though that may be.

I've been tempted on more than one occasion to sell off my G1X but every time I head into the hills with friends - who I prefer not to inconvenience with my photography - it's the Canon that gets the gig, so I'm glad I've hung onto it :)

Nic - Tigger is a Maine Coon cross and his mane comes in full like this in winter. He's only two and a bit and still hasn't got his full growth or coat yet! I call him my little Lion Man although he's a Tigger LOL - and he only sat that still because there was a noise outside - the other shots are full of movement LOL

Back