Sony Sony RX-100 User Thread

So far I have only used seriously used 2 settings on my Mk1. Most of the time iAuto produces very good results, and it still lets you create RAW files. I set up Program mode with spot focus and spot metering, and I switch to that when needed - probably no more than 20%of the time.

Hi to everyone here,
I have some questions that will help me decide on my choice of 'serious compact', so all you RX100 owners here can you answer me these questions, please,

Is there a 3rd party battery charger available to buy now, if so who makes it & how much does it cost ?

Can you buy extra batteries now for the RX100 , either genuine Sony or cheaper alternatives ?

Does the RX100 support a wired remote shutter release or wireless/ infrared, or could I even adapt a manual cable on the shutter button ?

Is the Richard Freniac grip worth getting & a wrist strap, for added security ?

Best way to mount extra filters, both NDs & a circular polariser, glue-on adapter ring ( not too happy about this on a new camera.... ) or a tripod bush mount ?

Thanks for your input as at the moment I have my own 'serious compact' Wish List to choose from,( dependent on spare cash available ) to decide the one that will best suit me & my style of photography...............RX100, LX7, EX2F, P7700, XZ2iHS, Fuji XF1.........so far, maybe more to come !
I use the supplied wrist strap, but as I have tiny hands I put a slipknot in the loop. So the strap fits securely around my wrist but I can open it easily to take it off. The Richard Franiec grip is superb and has transformed the camera for me. I also recommend the Sony soft cases that fasten round a belt with press studs.

The Richard Franiec grip is superb and has transformed the camera for me. I also recommend the Sony soft cases that fasten round a belt with press studs.

....Do you have a part number for the Sony soft case which a RX100 II fits into, please? Trousers belt fixing is what I need.

OK. My ONE complaint on the RX100 is that there is no C (custom) mode on the dial.

I like to shoot primarily three ways -- auto-HDR, watercolor effect and shooting in RAW. The first two are occasional uses, so I'm mostly in RAW. But to get to them, you have to hit function, then go to picture quality, drop to jpg (and there are two options, std and fine), then back out and go to either the DR or effects menu and choose the one you want, and in both cases, there are TONS of options, so it's a lot of scrolling.

I would love one or two custom settings. At least if there was only one, where I could shoot jpg on one and RAW on the other, that would save me a step.

Still, by far, my most versatile camera, but this is the one thing I'd like to see corrected.

OK. My ONE complaint on the RX100 is that there is no C (custom) mode on the dial.

I like to shoot primarily three ways -- auto-HDR, watercolor effect and shooting in RAW. The first two are occasional uses, so I'm mostly in RAW. But to get to them, you have to hit function, then go to picture quality, drop to jpg (and there are two options, std and fine), then back out and go to either the DR or effects menu and choose the one you want, and in both cases, there are TONS of options, so it's a lot of scrolling.

I would love one or two custom settings. At least if there was only one, where I could shoot jpg on one and RAW on the other, that would save me a step.

Still, by far, my most versatile camera, but this is the one thing I'd like to see corrected.
Couldn't you use the MR function on the dial to set up two different ways of shooting? I have one set up for B+W so I can see how it will turn out on the screen.

Should add, I love your HDR effort above. :)

I would love to see a button can be assigned to separate AF lock(without locking AE), and user customizable exposure bracketing mode up to -/+3.

You can obtain AF lock by using chris2500dk's method described in this thread. It's not a good as having a dedicated button (and you need to remember to un-set it after the shot) but it's perfectly usable, once you get accustomed to it. Hope this helps.

I've only shot in FINE. When you guys shoot in RAW or RAW + JPG, what program do you use to make the file smaller to post on the internet? i understand shooting in RAW gives it better IQ, but when it comes time to resize the pic for forums posts, what do you use? Thanks.

I've only shot in FINE. When you guys shoot in RAW or RAW + JPG, what program do you use to make the file smaller to post on the internet? i understand shooting in RAW gives it better IQ, but when it comes time to resize the pic for forums posts, what do you use? Thanks.
Personally when I export from Lightroom I set the maximum size to 1024x1024px.

Also when you link from flickr you can automatically choose a smaller size like 800x600 or 640x480 for example.

I am looking at the mk ii for my lovely bride as she wants a zoom (poor 50mm Pentax Q may be retired). The only hesitation is the lack of a minimum shutter speed setting for auto ISO.

I was reading up on work arounds, through scene modes, hacks, or whatever, when I ran across this blog post, which refers to a default minimum shutter speed of 1/250 when in full auto mode:

REVIEW: Sony DSC-RX100M2 vs RX100 with Real World Sample Photos (Review Part 2 of 2)

Can anyone please confirm whether this is correct? It would seem like this would take care of any motion blur in P&S mode, maybe with a bit of flash, and she could always downshift to A or S mode when she has the time to do so.

Have a question....when shooting outdoors on a bright sunny day, what settings do you guys/gals tinker with...i noticed quite a bit of washouts from a few of my pics...did you guys tinker with the white balance or left in auto? what ideal settings did you use? just need some tips...thanks.

Examples would help narrow down the 'washed out' issue would help. I tend to shoot raw and fiddle around with contrast in post if need be, although I haven't really found it necessary most of the time. In general, the Rx100 have very good auto exposure and wb in good light.

Have a question....when shooting outdoors on a bright sunny day, what settings do you guys/gals tinker with...i noticed quite a bit of washouts from a few of my pics...did you guys tinker with the white balance or left in auto? what ideal settings did you use? just need some tips...thanks.

I usually shoot with -0.3EV on most cameras when outdoors and lots of sun, the RX100 is no exception, in fact -0.7 might be better.

Back