Sony Sony RX-100 User Thread

Very nice images Olli and KianO. Olli where is that blue shot from? Also very good symmetry on the metro shot.

I am using mine with med 10MP jpeg and iso 3200 looks good for a compact. I haven't checked the raw files. I think it is a good replacement for S90/95/100 series, eg pocketable P&S and a worthwhile sensor upgrade. If you are happy with those, RX100 is for you. It fits into my cheap samsonite bag that I used for fuji f31 / Canon S95 that I have/had. That is my pocket camera bag. I had a LX3 and sold it when I bought the e-p1, since it wasn't a pocketable camera for me. Still I prefer lx series range with 24mm-XX.

Steve Huff posted his preview also:
The Sony RX100 – My quick real world preview of this ultra sexy pocket rocket! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
He is a fan of Nikon V1 so his full review might be interesting. He said he liked it so far although he wasn't interested before in similar sized cameras like Canon S100.

Hi and thanks serhan,

I find my bw shot a bit too smooth, I guess the 3200 iso jpg noise reduction is too strong, dunno when LR will have raw support fro
Which I hope to have less smoothed out shots.

Thanks for the steve huff preview link. I've been trying the rx100 in the streets of London, Will see what I've got when I return home.

Very nice images Olli and KianO. Olli where is that blue shot from? Also very good symmetry on the metro shot.

I am using mine with med 10MP jpeg and iso 3200 looks good for a compact. I haven't checked the raw files. I think it is a good replacement for S90/95/100 series, eg pocketable P&S and a worthwhile sensor upgrade. If you are happy with those, RX100 is for you. It fits into my cheap samsonite bag that I used for fuji f31 / Canon S95 that I have/had. That is my pocket camera bag. I had a LX3 and sold it when I bought the e-p1, since it wasn't a pocketable camera for me. Still I prefer lx series range with 24mm-XX.

The Sony RX100 – My quick real world preview of this ultra sexy pocket rocket! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
He is a fan of Nikon V1 so his full review might be interesting. He said he liked it so far although he wasn't interested before in similar sized cameras like Canon S100.

After shooting with the rx100 for a few days in London, I must admit it is a wonderfull small camera, really slips into the front jeans pocket, although I always have a small pouch bag with me so I wouldn’t mind it being bigger, but I have found that I tended to slip it in the pocket more often that put in the pouch bag !

I found that for shooting in the streets by wandering around and letting a situation "hit me", situations where you don't have time to frame precisely and time for the auto-focus to work effectively, I was missing features I discovered recently with the GRD camera and readings from this forum.

I'm missing the auto-iso in manual mode, I wonder what went through the sony engineers heads with that. Some argue that manual is "manual mode" and auto iso shouldn't be needed, I tend to disagree, for those who don't want auto-iso they needn't worry, they could still set the iso manually.The other feature I'm missing is the zone focusing ability.

Out of street like shots, I have found that without the two features mentioned here above, the focus system often missed what I wanted it to focus on, and that the camera's choice of speed was often two low thus motion blur was often a problem. I guess the camera is trying to keep iso as low as possible and lower shutter speed and rely often on image stabilisation.

The other aspect is depth of field, when the focus was ok, the depth of field was often limited, so I would rather like the camera to be able to work in auto-iso and set the diaphragm and speed manually and let iso go up and down according to the metering. Add the zone focus and voilà. Well anyway, the importance of that I found out by reading posts from Don and Ray, but I never felt how important they were until shooting with this little camera.

I believe there are three motion blur problems striking in many of my pics, the persons moving in front of the camera, my own moving and the fact that I haven't necessarily hit the button before my hand motion of framing had stopped. Being able to set aperture and speed manually would have improved my keepers.

Otherwise I found the zoom range really interesting, I would be hit by something happening acrosse the street and the zoom proved to be very helpfull. Although I have complained about the mpix being too high, I do see this as being usefull because since I am not an accomplished and true street shooter, it allows me to frame less precisely and crop in PP (I was able to take quite a few pics without even looking at the display).

I'll post a few pics when I return from work, I only have one posted so far since we returned late last night from London.

Here are a few shots taken during a visit to London with my family with the RX100 camera. All processed from jpg in LR. I've put a few here and more in the London Album on flickr, I don't plan on keeping them all in my flickr galery because I don't have a pro account.

Hope they give a good impression on the B&W capabilities with the camera using only LR.

View attachment 56527

View attachment 56528

View attachment 56529

View attachment 56530

View attachment 56531

View attachment 56532

View attachment 56533

View attachment 56534

View attachment 56535

View attachment 56536

Some nice shots - I particularly like the relationship between seemingly disconnected people in the second and I like the composition of the third. I don't see the problems you were mentioning in the previous post, but then I guess we're only seeing the ones that worked, not the ones that didn't! I assume these were all auto-focus?

-Ray

Thanks. The blue shot is taken in the Hirshhorn Museum on the Mall. It's part of one of the current exhibitions. I agree on the LX and the 24mm starting point. Even though I have the RX100 now I'm still reluctant to move the LX3 on since I still appreciate the wide fast option. Who knows, if the reviews are good, I might even be tempted to pick up the LX7. Right now I'm on the verge of selling the DLSR and all lenses and the NEX5 and buying an NEX7. A line up of LX3/7, RX100 and NEX7 would be nice.

Hello, I have attached the "yellow man" pic in color as one would more easily understand the "yellow" meaning of it ;). I have aso attached an out of focus image that I have tried to creatively take advantage of.

Anyhow, further to Ray's comment, I'm not sure that the auto-focus problems are so bad, the camera's auto-focus is quite good I believer, as I said in my previous message, the out of focus problems can come from motion blur, but being able to manually set speed and aperture can diminish such problems, better technique also I must confess.

Anyhow, the rx100 is a fine camera, the best compromise I have found up to date, it is a pleasure wandering around and taking pictures.

I have one regret that has nothing to do with the camera, I shot some punks in Camden Market, and one of them came over to me quite agressively to claim money for the shot. I was reluctant and told him that I would rather delete the picture than pay him for it. At the moment I deleted it in front of him, and realising it was too late to surrender, I immediately regretted deleting it because I suddenly noticed that I had captured him with an aggressive grin on his face that could well have been my best day shot.

Well, anyway.

21072012-DSC00093.JPG
21072012-DSC00113.JPG
21072012-DSC00169-2.JPG
22072012-DSC00333-2.JPG
22072012-DSC00465.JPG
23072012-DSC00568-3.JPG
23072012-DSC00576.JPG

Thanks a lots Ray, indeed they were all taken in auto focus which finally may well allow to say that the auto-focus is very effective in such a mode. I have posted a couple of out of focus pics above and also two shots that seem better in color.

Some nice shots - I particularly like the relationship between seemingly disconnected people in the second and I like the composition of the third. I don't see the problems you were mentioning in the previous post, but then I guess we're only seeing the ones that worked, not the ones that didn't! I assume these were all auto-focus?

-Ray

I would like to get a little more personal and comment on the picture number 8. The one where you see planet earth and the word "UNITED" across what seems abvious as being a rocket. In a world of turmoil, I see this picture as being a "PUN", not intended against anything in particular, just the mere fact that that the world isn't "united" on a surface level, god knows, if that has any meening at all, that some kind of empathy seems to be missing.

21072012-DSC00146.JPG

So what? "Unite" seems wonderfull next to "Mother Earth", with that half of planet showing Africa... For those that might be offended, take no offense, I am myslef a pure product of liberation from "that kind of war", my grand'ma with my father (5 years old at the time) escaped from occupied Estonia and she lived in a very poor condition to pay for my father's studies in the US as a physicist, one want's contrast, here we go...

Well, this being said, the following picture has some meaning to me also, apart from having some esthetical qualities that please me. During my visit to London, I hadn't returned there since the age of 16, I was taking a pure "tourist bath" going down the river Tames (Thames) and I was striken by the following picture that shows the Oympic rings right next to one of the most famous GB battleships that defeated the german army during world war.

21072012-DSC00248-2.JPG

If there are some german people reading this post that would feel offended by this rambling, please take no offense, my grand'ma and young father at the time, took refuge in germany and I live thanks to strange circumstnances.

It is a strange thing to see a war vessel slightly in front and to the right of the olympic rings under one of the most famoust bridges in the world. I have tried to give this picture a kind of "passé" look but with a modern camera.

Still, while going down the Tamed River, we had a commentor with a profound Londonian slang with the most irrestibible british humour that would take the mickey out of everything, I dare repeat what he said about the following picture (sorry for you british guys, I forgot to tell you that my mother is british, but she does hate that I ramble over the royalty, my mom's mother even more...) :

22072012-DSC00363.JPG

While I'm speeking of my grand'ma on my mother's side, she told me that I should "Taste" one beer while in London, one beer that was her husband's favorites. Here is a pic that illustrates my promise (with one of my daugthers in background) and in full l color, sorry this ain't a rx100 pic, t'is taken with a famous camera phone ;):

londonpride.JPG

Cheers all, this beer was indeed very nice!

I appologize for my ramblings and wish you all the best.

PS: I have been a moderator on a ultra light hiking forum, I could understand that this post will be censored, this forum is by no means political, and yet, rest assured that I have no political opinion on all this, it is only the contrast that I see, light contrast and contrast of meaning. I hope you enjoy them whatever.

Hi Kian, thanks for your photos, and for your personal story and feelings, which give the photos an extra layer of meaning. I wouldn't worry about the "no politics" rule, I don't see how your statements could be divisive or offensive.

cool and thanks bartjeej :).

Hi Kian, thanks for your photos, and for your personal story and feelings, which give the photos an extra layer of meaning. I wouldn't worry about the "no politics" rule, I don't see how your statements could be divisive or offensive.

London Pride - excellent choice, great beer. Was pleased to find that I can get it here in Washington at World Market.

Back