What I have learned since getting a new screen

Not employing colour management does NOT mean you can't get great output. It just means it's far more difficult to get CONSISTANTLY great out put. Colour management eliminated variables which makes problem solving a whole lot easier when it comes to issues with colour and output.

Sue has shown that she wants something more from her images than many. It's a matter of what"good enough" means for any individual. But the original query is directly related to colour management and without it she will continue to be frustrated.With it she'll get a fatsre, easier and more predictable output.

Gordon

:) Bingo.

Blimey!!! this has made my head spin!

I figure for myself that unless I am making a nice living from my photography then I'll just be happy with what I think it looks like and not worry about all the new screens and such. I have my macbook air and iPad for doing photos on and that's enough.

If I like them at the time that's enough for me, They are not unusable by any means.

Sure if that's your thing to get it right according to calibration then cool! but most people who do look at online stuff don't have anything near calibrated monitors or laptops.

PS, I am saving for the retina macbook pro for my photos tho, so maybe everything I just said is meaningless, :)

LOL. I think thats what Gordon said. Its about whats good enough for you, and if that is... thats fine :) and I had to laugh about the rMBP. If you wanted consistency then you'd still need to calibrate. Also worth mentioning is that your 13" Air has a much better screen than my 13" basic MBP. I might not have been so keen to get an external had I gone with a better screen on the laptop in the first place... ie.. an Air instead of MBP.

I'm happy with my decision for the moment. What I am doing is using lightroom on the large screen (oh what an absolute JOY that is, being able to SEE my photographs in a reasonable size, not to mention the app itself, not being all squeezed into a 13" 1280x800 screen) and still using the MBP for everything else at the same time :) Its excellent. However I still feel a bit overwhelmed by the sheer immensity of the screen. I'll get used to it.

Nowdays all you need is a mid range puck for a hundred dollars or so. And the whole profiling package is automatic and takes a few minutes. All the major OS's are colour management enabled by default. It's interesting that we'll spend a grand on a marginally better lens but we won't drop a hundred on a spyder. Especially when 90% of all photographic output is via a computer. We'll spend days exploring focus stacking but we won't try and absorb the single A4 page of information you need to understand the basics of colour management. In a couple of hours you can be producing consisitantly superior prints.

It's a matter of what"good enough" means for any individual. But the original query is directly related to colour management and without it she will continue to be frustrated.With it she'll get a fatsre, easier and more predictable output.

Could not have said it better. To me, purchasing a Spyder is a no-brainer. The amount of paper and ink I wasted before getting my first one would have probably paid for my first Spyder twice over. Not to mention the time wasted and the frustration...

Cheers,

Antonio

Back