Nature Show "Flowers"

IMGP5771a.JPG

This one is from last summer.

Lovely thread to look through on a grey day here on the Outer Banks of North Carolina - at least we don't have a hurricane in the offing! That said, we've been pummeled since last night with rain, winds and thunderstorms so being able to look at everyone's beautiful photographs is quite uplifting.:flowers_2:

Grevillea Kay Williams

Flowers are not my forte.

I had to give my new cheapo kit lens (Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR) a run to see if it is OK. I got home a little late and it isn't the best shooting conditions. Nothing much going on so I duck out the back yard. No ducks but some flowers I have yet to kill through neglect.

5323262970_0511ed3ba5_b.jpg

Grevillea Kay Williams by peterb666, on Flickr

More a close up than a macro. This shot was taken at 105mm and a distance of 0.6m. Although the light is very overcast, I managed to get 1/25s at f/16 while shooting at ISO200. In retrospect, f/11 would have given better bokeh while retaining sufficient depth of field. I am very impressed by this cheap kit lens. 105mm is claimed to be a bit soft but that looks fine to me and note the shot is hand-held and there is a little bit of a breeze. I guess the IS works. I would say this lens will be a keeper.

Thank you each for breathing new life into this thread. I was surprised to see that I had missed quite a few before.

As I sit here and look out the back door window at the snow covered garden and shivering cat who I must let in - these flowers remind me that spring and summer will come again here!

Back