Nikon Showcase Nikon 1 Samples

8031734179_1aa4115940_c.jpg

When I saw the shots of the R1100RT (guessing on the specifics) I thought you'd say your mount was something like a new Concourse or an FJR1300. But the RSV-R... good lordy. That's a bike I'd like to borrow for about 2 hours.

(says the owner of a 2007 FZ6, bought new, now with 49,750 miles on it)

Thanx. I'm in the enviable position of being able to own a bike that makes absolutely no sense! I've done nearly 10,000 miles this summer, with 98% of those miles on press bikes.

p.s. - re, FZ6 - love the middleweight standards! Easily the most smiles per buck.

John, when you are shooting action what do you get in the EVF? Does it have a lag in between shots (like all pure EVFs I've experienced) that makes it very challenging to follow action -- especially something kids soccer? Or, does the hybrid AF and dual-shutter approach somehow give you an uninterrupted view just like looking through an OVF?

Your images have me really considering this camera. Thanks for sharing them.

10k miles in a summer... good god. I did 10k a year for about 5 years in a row commuting to work, and that felt like a healthy amount... 2 hours in the saddle a day everyday. And my saddle was a good bit more comfy than yours. Your back and wrists must be made of stern stuff.

John, when you are shooting action what do you get in the EVF? Does it have a lag in between shots (like all pure EVFs I've experienced) that makes it very challenging to follow action -- especially something kids soccer? Or, does the hybrid AF and dual-shutter approach somehow give you an uninterrupted view just like looking through an OVF?

I haven't noticed any EVF lag with the V1. But that doesn't mean that it's not there - it's just that I haven't looked for it. For example, the Pentax Q has some pretty serious EVF lag - What Blog is this?: Lag of Pentax Q rear LCD

With its high frame rate (from 5-60 FPS) the V1 is a unique camera, and thus I think you have to adjust your normal shooting habits to get the most from it. Based on my brief experience, I'd probably set the camera up at 10FPS for a youth soccer match, and for pivotal moments in the action like a corner kick or penalty shot, use the easily accessible F button to switch up to 30 or 60 FPS. Or shoot video and take stills while shooting video. I'd be careful to watch my buffer count in the lower right of the EVF, trying to always have a handful of shot available even as the camera is clearing out a burst, and I'd do a lot of half presses of the shutter to bypass the instant review mode; that may be the most annoying thing about the camera in this situation.

10k miles in a summer... good god. I did 10k a year for about 5 years in a row commuting to work, and that felt like a healthy amount... 2 hours in the saddle a day everyday. And my saddle was a good bit more comfy than yours. Your back and wrists must be made of stern stuff.

I was luck this year - most of the miles were on cushy, long distance bikes (BMW R1200RT, Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, Victory Cross Country Tour, Ducati Multistrada).

I think I was toying with my smartphone when I heard a crescendo of screaming. I look up to see Matthew streaking past the defenders and towards the goal. I quickly pick up the Nikon 1, point and click. This is what I got.

8129654442_e9ee7f500e_c.jpg

If I develop raw I never touch the luminance noise, just the chroma. It's not noise per se that bothers me -- I have a pretty high tolerance for simple "grain like" noise -- but color mottling of chroma noise. I just ordered a V1 against my better judgement, but your shots are helping me justify it. See what you've done??:D

Back