Nikon Showcase Nikon 1 Samples

On-The-Way-To-Xmas.jpg

This is from my first day out with the J1... I never really got the hate this camera attracted, it ticked alot of my boxes. My images might not be great, but at leasr John's showing how it should be done, and what this camera can get up to in capable hands

Nice shots, Blanko. Along with John's work, it's making me more and more comfortable with my decision to get the V1, which should arrive Monday next. I should warn everyone that they'll start seeing some of shots in this thread.

Nice shots, Blanko. Along with John's work, it's making me more and more comfortable with my decision to get the V1, which should arrive Monday next. I should warn everyone that they'll start seeing some of shots in this thread.

It's worth bearing in mind, looking at my files, that I'm really pushing this sensor. Given the amount of light I'm shooting here at ISO1600, so a much cleaner image is possible. Right now I'm very pleased with my decision to get the J1. I was looking at the RX100, but it was slightly more than twice the price and I wasn't seeing many samples that fitted with the images I make. But I kept seeing Nikon 1 images that impressed me. I too had previously discounted the camera based on the negativity surrounding it, so it's nice to buy this feeling it's earned my investment based on the images it's turning out. Now there's a 18.5 (50 equivalent) f1.8 You also feel the system's taking shape.

I was also heavily persuaded by Steve Huff's review of the V1. If you've not read it, it's worth a google. It'll wet your appetite for Monday

Nice shots. Your dog is beautiful, and the golden leaf shapes are classic.

I can hardly wait for my V1 to arrive. The additional lens for it is out for delivery today, but it looks like the camera won't get here until Monday -- he says with frustrated anticipation.

+1 for dogs. There's a line in a Yeats poem (No, not THAT Yeats) "The Curse of Cromwell" that goes:

"And when I pay attention I must out and walk
Among the dogs and horses that understand my talk."

I've always understood perfectly. On another note: dogs with dental challenges, like the second pup, have a special place in my affections. My Peggy has a skewed lower jaw. I tell her (and anyone else who'll listen to me) that it's because she'd otherwise be perfect and that would offend the gods, like they say.

First shot with Nikon 1 V1

Well, it's bigger than I thought, but as light as I anticipated. It's not going to replace my XZ-1 as a pocketable alternative to my m4/3 cameras, but I can see myself getting to like it. This is shot at iso 2000 (auto iso) with the kit zoom and looks pretty good -- everything I post will be developed from raw -- but the XZ-1, which would not look as good at this speed, would have had it's zoom at f2.2 or so at this magnification instead of f5.6, and so could have been shot at around 500, where it looks very good indeed. My next shots, though, will be indoors, dim light, with the 18.5mm f1.8.

Attachments

• DSC_0025-2.jpg
    DSC_0025-2.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 664
  • DSC_0025-2.jpg
    DSC_0025-2.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 620
Here are a couple of the first pics taken with my new V1. It was a cold and cloudy winter day, but I was enjoying myself. Both photos were taken using the 10-30mm kit zoom.

I think I'm going to enjoy this camera quite a bit and if the price of the new V2 body drops to a reasonable level, I see myself purchasing it, as well. I bought this camera because, like John, I'm an avid motorcyclist(dual sport and sport/sport touring rider) and wanted a small system camera that wouldn't take up too much room on the bike. Btw John, if you haven't already, check out ADVrider - Powered by vBulletin. It's an amazing site, especially the ride reports from all over the world(most with pictures). I waste way to much time on there.

Nice shots. It really is quite a good camera. It was a bit bigger than I'd anticipated, and I ended up selling mine to buy an X10 for the smaller overall size and fast zoom. Decided I did not want another system to feed; I know myself, and as lenses became available it would have cost me a small fortunate.

The photo files are wonderful, though, and I'd have no hesitation recommending it. I figure the E=PM1 or 2 with the small Panasonic kit lens is as small, and I have lenses of that system already. Also, truth be told, I like trying out new stuff, and at the price the V1 was offered it was irresistable. I sold it for very little less than I paid for it to get the X10 -- and no promises I'll keep that. But, like the Nikon, it's a camera I've been curious to use.

I ended up selling mine to buy an X10 for the smaller overall size and fast zoom.

.....truth be told, I like trying out new stuff, and at the price the V1 was offered it was irresistable. I sold it for very little less than I paid for it to get the X10 -- and no promises I'll keep that. But, like the Nikon, it's a camera I've been curious to use.

Yeah, I wish the kit zooms were a little faster.......but isn't that always the case? I set the auto ISO to 100-400 for an indoor shot of my dog, just to see how good the VR is on the 30-110 zoom. I'm pleased to say that I got a usable print, handheld, at a shutter speed of 1/10th of a second.....not too bad.

I have to laugh, because I go through bikes like you seem to go through cameras. I've owned over 2 dozen overall, and have 2 at the moment. I'm getting simpler bikes as I get older, however. I do all my own maintenance, including tire changes, so simpler is better.

Here's the picture of my dog I mentioned above. A Brussels Griffon, her name is Coco. She's a great dog and makes me laugh every day.

Cute dog and a good shot.

If I didn't already have the m4/3 system presently built around my E-M5, I'd have probably kept the V1, which I liked. If I do buy into another system it will probably be the Fuji X series; the X-E1 intrigues me, and though not cheap, it is at least in a league where I can think about acquiring a used one. I suppose it will largely depend on my experience with the X-10, which the USPS is holding hostage. It was mailed 6 days ago left Los Angeles four days ago and is still not here in Albuquerque. Arrrgggghhh! I'd planned to try its point and shoot capabilities at a Christmas party tonight.

Here's my last photo contribution to the Nikon 1 samples thread:
It disappeared from MediaFire, along with several other photos. The mysteries of online storage.

3a7a2feabfb374f4ef8f5af0cb95544e0d50eedd03f1492f3861e30e21ec3d0f4g.jpg

That must be the last leaf to fall this year.....so your last photo in this thread is very appropriate. Nice job!

Too bad about your X-10, and I agree that the X-E1 is a very intriguing camera. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back