Ultimate Portable Media Storage Solution?

man, the storage geeks are having a heyday in the comments section over there. It never really specifies what makes it ruggedized (I'm falling more in love with that word every time I see it). Also of note in the description over at B & H......not compatible with Apple computers.

Do you need a ruggedised computer to use that drive? Do the images have to come from a ruggidised camera?

Seriously I'd rather have a Hyperdrive with a SSD in it.

Gordon

Drop it and see how much a thin layer is of semi-ridgid rubber really "ruggedizes" it. Maybe the word mean it turns it into a rug or only protection from rugs.

Drop it and see how much a thin layer is of semi-ridgid rubber really "ruggedizes" it. Maybe the word mean it turns it into a rug or only protection from rugs.

I think this is the key here. If it won't stand up to substantially bigger drops and harder knocks than the "non-ruggedized" version, then it's extra money wasted.

Macbooks use a motion sensor to detect if you drop them and disengage the heads from the hard disk before it hits the ground, maybe this does the same?

man, the storage geeks are having a heyday in the comments section over there. It never really specifies what makes it ruggedized (I'm falling more in love with that word every time I see it). Also of note in the description over at B & H......not compatible with Apple computers.

What? How could they make it not compatible with Apple computers??? Thats nuts. Probably formatted for PC which is not an issue. In the meantime... I just use a 500GB WD portable. Its not ruggedized.

What? How could they make it not compatible with Apple computers??? Thats nuts. Probably formatted for PC which is not an issue. In the meantime... I just use a 500GB WD portable. Its not ruggedized.
They have since changed the description. When it ships, it is formatted for use with a PC, but it can be reformatted to to work with the fruity machines that some prefer.

They have since changed the description. When it ships, it is formatted for use with a PC, but it can be reformatted to to work with the fruity machines that some prefer.
You don't even have to reformat if you dont want to. The fruity machines talk just as easily to FAT and ExFAT formatted as they do to HFS+. And, I think they can read from (but not write to) NTFS as well.

Well, I won't be bothering with a WD portable again. Mine got the "Click of Death" (I could hear it ticking... nasty) and so it had been sent to HD heaven with the help of a hammer.

Click of death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So... it wasnt a very fast drive in any case so I've relegated an older but more reliable non-portable drive to do the Clone work. I no longer need portable anyway so no biggie.

Back