B&W The Real Silver Effex Thread and Gallery is now online.

I have to put my hands up and admit to using Silver Efex Pro for all my B&W conversions - it is a great package and I tend do my basic editing in PS, then use SFX and the High Structure setting before tweaking gently , adding tone, vignette & border as I see fit.

I personally feel this software offers me the best option for good B&W conversion, a few samples below with more in my gallery.

Rest_BW.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Music_man_BW.jpg

Through_the_window_B_W.jpg

The_Saxophone_BW.jpg

Damp and dull with drizzle - on Boxing Day - Silver Efex solves the problem.

Silver Efex Pro2 has become my default convertor for B&W as it is the closest software I have found that can replicate the B&W images I used to produce when working in analogue and a wet darkroom - quicker, more control with less smell!!

Tall_trees.jpg

Leaning_over.jpg

Lock_keepers_cottage.jpg

Neglect.jpg

I tend to use sfx pro 2 as a blunt instrument for my be conversions. Lots of vignette and burning etc for max atmosphere. I try to turn the extraordinarily mundane into something of interest. I classify my sfx use as like a punch to the face.

6565901745_515f04de2f.jpg

Fur Jacket Lady by petach123, on Flickr

6556417929_028e832e45.jpg

The Pool Player by petach123, on Flickr

6547537669_8dc8c8977a.jpg

high_heels by petach123, on Flickr

It's fantastic for bringing out detail from an otherwise flat photo
6500758573_01ed2f7c14.jpg

Top Santé by petach123, on Flickr

I totally agree with Petach, SFX is a superb tool for conversion and can make ordinary photos look great and like Petach the vignette function adds power and impact to a photo.

Beautiful shots. I too like the second very much. For me personally I would be inclined to ease back a little on the treatment of the sky since I find it distracts a little from the beautiful structure of the tree.

Thanks for the feedback.

Olli, I tend to go for the High Structure look in SFX as it gives me the gritty look I like, I know all images are a case of personal preference and each person will have a different opinion.

I also find that with trees against sky, the High Structure gives me more of a 3 dimensional feel to it and makes the trees stand out more from the dramatic sky behind - I also find that the sensor on the X100 contributes a lot to this effect.

Some architectural shots processed through SEP 2

6663451663_eb754b9813_o.jpg

Cuartel de Ballajá by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

6663451435_21e0045721_o.jpg

6663451201_fd65c12196_o.jpg

6663450905_6b1169ebfd_o.jpg

Escuela de Artes Plásticas by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

The first three are of Cuartel de Ballajá and the last one is of Escuela de Artes Plásticas, all in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. All shot with Lumix G3 and 25mm 1.4 DG Summilux.

Cheers,

Antonio

Back