RAW v DNG

BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
After a recent problem with LR and RAW files maybe I should start converting all RAW files to DNG before I import them into PP

I believe the files will be a little smaller as they are compressed without loss and of course the big benefit is that DNG is an open source format

What do you guys think ...... OK it's another process but maybe it's worth it

Can't think of a reason not to, bill.

Unless adobe decide to start charging you for the use of the dng format of course ...

They are both RAW formats. I would assume that any file size difference is negligible in the grand scheme of things. Unless you are using some obscure camera with a RAW file format that may go away after 10 years, I wouldn't bother. The DNG files may be SLIGHTLY more futureproof. But I also know a few guys who bought a ton of BETA gear when they realized that it was the ultimate in video tape storage quality.

If you have LR 3.6, (i.e. anything before LR4), it is the only, (?), option that you have if you want to use recent camera RAW files, i.e. from the Nikon D7100 ........ so if you are running LR 3.6 and buy a Nikon D7100, you have to upgrade to LR4 or convert to DNG if you want to use your RAW files

I'd only do it if I was trying to use a new camera with an old version of Lightroom, but then you need to consider whether spending a bunch of money on a new camera and saving a little bit of money by running old software is the best way to go anyhow.

Back