Ricoh The Ricoh GR image thread

View attachment 70488

My GR copy couldn't shoot the broad side of a barn in full sunlight with any sharpness or clarity. This was the only shot I got, besides whilst in macro mode and shooting close up, that had good enough detail to share. I did tinker with it as far as tweaking the raw for color etc, but not sharpness. Up close one could see hundreds of long necked dandelion buds ready to bloom any day now. For its closeups or what it calls macro it did rather well once I figured out the distance although there was some lens dancing when focusing, at times anyway. If anyone is interested I can share more of that but it seems like street shots are the preferred images. This is as streetable as I got. I never shot in b&w, nor any of the effect mods or square format that I really had wanted to play with. I was so concerned with getting a sharp image and after some 370 shots on tripod and in hand and at varying fstops etc.. that I didn't want to push my luck in returning it. It was shipped off today and the sadness lingers but I would have never been able to use it.

I found that the embedded profile, which give rise to the inaccurate color in Ray's test shots, can produce some more pleasant skin tone (to my eyes) than the Adobe standard. Makes me think again that Ricoh might have done it deliberately (especially they are more well known in Japan)

8982127943_4eedc73964_b.jpg

Maybe - that shot certainly looks nice, although it makes me wonder what color her shirt is REALLY! Regardless, a really cute photo!

But I'm not sure they'd want to leave reds and oranges as dull as they came through with that profile. I also have NO idea where those "embedded" profiles come from? Are they from Ricoh and essentially Ricoh's statement of how they'd like to see the colors from the camera come through? Or, being DNS files which is an Adobe format, are they just defaults established by Adobe at some point that they instruct each company how to write for??? I really have no idea but it seems that work is still being done on the colors from this camera somewhere in the communication chain between Ricoh and Adobe.

As further evidence, a guy who runs an online company that writes custom color profiles (I had no idea there was such a thing) contacted me after seeing the discussions here and on DPR, said he'd developed a preliminary version of a color profile for the GR and asked if I'd like to preview it. I said sure, I'd love to, and then a day or two later, after not receiving it I got an email from him saying "Sorry but I have found a large bug in the way ACR handles GR raw files, so my GR profiles are on hold until it is fixed." I have no information beyond that, but it suggests that something is still out of whack at least on the Adobe end. It also suggests that if you have a GR now and aren't quite happy with the colors, it'll probably be resolved at some point, hopefully fairly soon. And if you are, I assume the embedded profile will still be there for you after all is said and done....

-Ray

That an interesting development regarding the color profile, Ray. I wonder how far away adobe is from the final version of the profile. I will probably not be able to tell if there is still some accuracy problem in the current standard profile.

For the standard profile version, the skin would look a little more towards yellowish, and the blue will be less pop. Otherwise, the shirt color is almost the same.

Well, the Adobe Standard profile already looks great to me 95% of the time. The other 5% is still fine but not quite as subjectively pleasing to me as the Nikon. Evidently it's still not right, but I don't have a clue what's wrong with it or how it will be better (hopefully not worse) when it's finished.

I probably won't be actively following up on it though. I went back and forth a couple of times, but I'm feeling pretty settled on the Nikon for the last several days. I suppose it's possible I could have another change of heart, but it doesn't feel like it. Nothing to do with colors BTW, but a couple of features that work better for the way I use the camera (auto-ISO and exposure comp) and the simpler interface is just more comfortable for me to use and is plenty customizable for my needs. I'll miss the feel of the Ricoh in my hand (which is sublime) and the instant switching between AF and zone/snap focus with the Ricoh, but on balance this is feeling right to me.

Enjoy the Ricoh though - no bad choices between these cameras!

-Ray

I don't know if I'm gonna say anything over at DPR. Some of those folks might actually find a way to come and find me physically and I'm sure the tar and feathers would be good and hot. :eek:

It was always just supposed to be a comparison anyway and I think I did that pretty objectively, so what I decide to buy for myself shouldn't matter. But no need to go LOOKING for trouble!

-Ray

Well, the Adobe Standard profile already looks great to me 95% of the time. The other 5% is still fine but not quite as subjectively pleasing to me as the Nikon. Evidently it's still not right, but I don't have a clue what's wrong with it or how it will be better (hopefully not worse) when it's finished.

I probably won't be actively following up on it though. I went back and forth a couple of times, but I'm feeling pretty settled on the Nikon for the last several days. I suppose it's possible I could have another change of heart, but it doesn't feel like it. Nothing to do with colors BTW, but a couple of features that work better for the way I use the camera (auto-ISO and exposure comp) and the simpler interface is just more comfortable for me to use and is plenty customizable for my needs. I'll miss the feel of the Ricoh in my hand (which is sublime) and the instant switching between AF and zone/snap focus with the Ricoh, but on balance this is feeling right to me.

Enjoy the Ricoh though - no bad choices between these cameras!

-Ray

So if I decided today to switch over to the Ricoh, you could send the A back, keep the Rico and swap it with my Nikon? :daz:

LOL, don't bother with the dpr crowd. Some from the Ricoh side are going to burn you at stake. One on the Nikon side is going to use your word as proof that Ricoh is worthless and post it everywhere (see his comment on Steve Huff's site, it's getting ridiculous).

This is actually a very nice place having frequent several forums. +1 to the moderators and owners for keeping a friendly atmosphere.

I don't know if I'm gonna say anything over at DPR. Some of those folks might actually find a way to come and find me physically and I'm sure the tar and feathers would be good and hot. :eek:

It was always just supposed to be a comparison anyway and I think I did that pretty objectively, so what I decide to buy for myself shouldn't matter. But no need to go LOOKING for trouble!

-Ray

LOL, don't bother with the dpr crowd. Some from the Ricoh side are going to burn you at stake. One on the Nikon side is going to use your word as proof that Ricoh is worthless and post it everywhere (see his comment on Steve Huff's site, it's getting ridiculous).

This is actually a very nice place having frequent several forums. +1 to the moderators and owners for keeping a friendly atmosphere.

Mr. Perzon is making progress - his comment on Huff's site didn't even mention that he was able to get the Nikon for $799 at Best Buy on March (I forget the date, sorry).

Yes, this is a very civilized place. I somehow feel free to disclose my preferences here. Actually most folks on the Ricoh forum have been fine, with just a couple really getting on my nerves. And there are enough technically adept folks over there that I'll still find it worth while to stop in. I'll also still have my GXR-28 for when I need a Ricoh fix, so I'll probably still feel free to stop by and interact as a member of the club, albeit in questionable standing! :D

-Ray

I just bought the GR a few days ago, and have been lovin it, not so much the post processing. The colors are all over the place but i'm using 3.6 LR, I looked through the color profiling thread but i think I may need to upgrade to 5.0 when it comes out unless anyone has any tips.
One of the more colorful pictures i've taken so far.
8986733660_ef3b0c5737_c.jpg

G'day.

Heres a few of my first GR shots...still a few minor issues to figure out and I still need time before I instinctively know where what is, first day out was a bit of
a repetitious stop-start cycle and kinda lost a fair few shots, but the camera feels 'right'.....perhaps more right than anything I've used before, such a joy in
fact that even an admittedly 'dyed in the wool' EVF shooter like myself is actually having blast using the LCD. I'm still in a buzz at how good this camera
feels to the touch....a reassuring heft but a texture that is both soft and grippy. Whatever the particular rubber skin they've put on this the Ricoh engineers
deserve a big pat on the back. Another thing, man it's so freakin' liberating having such a capable camera that fits neatly and unnoticed either by bulk
or by weight in a coat or pants pocket....no need for neck straps, shoulder bags or sling packs of any sort. For a few weeks I was giving a lot of consideration
to possibly getting an e-pm2 and parking my P14 on it as my super small go anywhere anytime combo.....so glad I opted for the GR.

9069634682_f3dc7db88c_b.jpg

We Need To Talk by Livnius, on Flickr

This was shot at ISO25600...not on purpose mind you, simply a consequence of not having a handle on the inner workings of the camera yet.
ISO25600 and probably about half the frame cropped out and I think I still managed to salvage something of a shot.....quite happy all things considered.

9067416241_3b215f45dd_b.jpg

Old Friend. by Livnius, on Flickr

9067425775_cd078ee4ac_b.jpg

Gentleman by Livnius, on Flickr

9067431557_75f81bfcb1_b.jpg

Loud Noises by Livnius, on Flickr

This was shot wide open, when I viewed it at full size on my screen at home it was a real WOW moment. SO much detail...early days yet but I'm super
impressed so far with this diminutive little camera and lens. I've got a fair way to go before I'm able to extract the very best from it but I'm thrilled so far.

9067413281_5efeecd605_b.jpg

Public Transport by Livnius, on Flickr

Really nice Joe! I'm assuming that 25600 shot was when the TaV mode went a little crazy on you? In any case, you made something really nice from it - GREAT processing. After working with those two cameras for a while, not to mention the other stuff I've been lucky enough to get to shoot with lately, I'm coming to the conclusion that most modern cameras are just sooooo good its just down to which ones fit the way you work best and feels right to you. Because they all turn out such incredible images. I hope you and Tom and Don and others can tame that TaV beast. And, if not, using Av with manual ISO and just keeping ISO easily handy on the ADJ lever should serve you well. That's how I shot Ricoh's for three years without ever feeling like I was missing anything...

Have fun, and keep the great results coming. It really is cool having such a tiny little camera turning out such great results isn't it?

-Ray

...I'm coming to the conclusion that most modern cameras are just sooooo good its just down to which ones fit the way you work best and feels right to you. Because they all turn out such incredible images.
Well said Ray! Does feel like compacts are coming of the age of the ubiquitous film camera. Compacts of every shape and size with that ever capable 35mm sensor. You just choose what best suits your style. ;).

...It really is cool having such a tiny little camera turning out such great results isn't it?
Today's GR is sounding more and more like the GR1 series that preceded it. This is precisely what makes it dangerous, a serious temptation :blush:

Again Joe (as stated on flickr) top work mate (y)

Really nice Joe! I'm assuming that 25600 shot was when the TaV mode went a little crazy on you? In any case, you made something really nice from it - GREAT processing. After working with those two cameras for a while, not to mention the other stuff I've been lucky enough to get to shoot with lately, I'm coming to the conclusion that most modern cameras are just sooooo good its just down to which ones fit the way you work best and feels right to you. Because they all turn out such incredible images. I hope you and Tom and Don and others can tame that TaV beast. And, if not, using Av with manual ISO and just keeping ISO easily handy on the ADJ lever should serve you well. That's how I shot Ricoh's for three years without ever feeling like I was missing anything...

Have fun, and keep the great results coming. It really is cool having such a tiny little camera turning out such great results isn't it?

-Ray

Yeah, shot was taken with the crazy TAv thing going on.....went out again today using the new formula which couples DR-Strong and +1EV settings (rather than +1/3EV) to the TAv mode and it didn't trip up once, AND....the DR-Strong thingy only effected the jpegs and exposures seem consistent and true.
Held the the iso6400 limit except in the 1 most extreme case where it hit iso8000. Need another day to test it but the workaround looks like holding.

Although not without it's quirks it is an immensely capable and convenient little machine....and most importantly, fun to use. Just quietly, I think I'll be getting a lot of mileage out of this one.

Back