Ricoh The Ricoh GR image thread

The files that come out of the GR really take well to B&W conversions, this last week or so has probably been the most fun I've had working in mono.
I know there has been some interweb discussion as why the GR files take so well to mono treatment but that technical stuff is lost on me, whatever it is,
I've learnt in this past week that regardless of whether I'm working in colour or in mono the files take everything I can throw at them.
Anyways, here a few colour shots just mix things up a little.

9092186825_7740bd7507_b.jpg

RMIT by Livnius, on Flickr

9092182777_bdb40d3e43_b.jpg

QV by Livnius, on Flickr

9094394056_6cbe77391f_b.jpg

Going Home. by Livnius, on Flickr

Monet's Garden was shot with the LCD, Waiting by the Water was from the hip. This Wintery Web was shot with the LCD, and Skatin' through the park was an instant 'on-FullSnap' moment from the hip. Oddly, the GR sometimes says 'Unmatched File' during playback, but the DNG is fine in Lightroom. This happened for the skateboarder image, where I turned the camera on and shot in very rapid succession. Perhaps the GR does not have time to write a proper thumbnail but the main DNG is still fine.

You guys are making me want a trip to Australia AND a GR.....neither of which are in my budget. Keep feeding me images to satisfy my cravings.
US dollars getting stronger and duty-free is becoming enticingly priced for consumer goods. So see you for Summer mate. I'll have a tinnie on ice for you and a shrimp on the barbie.:2thumbs:

Nice series fellas. You both shooting from the hip or using an OVF for shots like these in town?

Mark, I'm usually shooting off the back LCD...however when an opportunity presents itself to shoot off a frame of a person on the street then i'll just keep the camera by my hip/belly, no major change of settings required either
since I have my 'full snap' settings in place. All in all an incredibly fluid process...something I was personally never quite able to achieve with such comfort with some of my other gear for various reasons.
These first 2 images below were all taken in this fashion....full-press-snap from the hip.....the third I got down low and composed from the screen.

9092179425_b8f3270c72_b.jpg

...on Lonsdale. by Livnius, on Flickr

9094398070_804b38139c_b.jpg

Get together. by Livnius, on Flickr

9092169697_c165789396_b.jpg

State Library by Livnius, on Flickr

Crossing the Hohenzollern Bridge
R0000831.jpg

Checking train times
R0001137.jpg

Crossing the Rhine
R0001051.jpg

Livnius' State Library shot was taken outside the State Library in Melbourne. The partially buried building you see here was a result of the nearby university, RMIT, conducting quantum mechanics experiments that had unforseen side effects. Fortunately, as the experiment only dealt with non-living matter, no people were buried along with the building. However, their clothes were non-living matter, leading to further embarrassment for all concerned.

Livnius' State Library shot was taken outside the State Library in Melbourne. The partially buried building you see here was a result of the nearby university, RMIT, conducting quantum mechanics experiments that had unforseen side effects. Fortunately, as the experiment only dealt with non-living matter, no people were buried along with the building. However, their clothes were non-living matter, leading to further embarrassment for all concerned.

Sounds like an Aussie tall tale to me :) But I like it. And I like the photograph.

Mark, I'm usually shooting off the back LCD...however when an opportunity presents itself to shoot off a frame of a person on the street then i'll just keep the camera by my hip/belly, no major change of settings required either
since I have my 'full snap' settings in place. All in all an incredibly fluid process...something I was personally never quite able to achieve with such comfort with some of my other gear for various reasons.
These first 2 images below were all taken in this fashion....full-press-snap from the hip.....the third I got down low and composed from the screen.

9092179425_b8f3270c72_b.jpg

...on Lonsdale. by Livnius, on Flickr

9094398070_804b38139c_b.jpg

Get together. by Livnius, on Flickr

9092169697_c165789396_b.jpg

State Library by Livnius, on Flickr
Love what you are doing with the GR! I'm getting closer to getting mine, now :) Seriously considering selling the X100 (shock!)

Excellent shots. I would like some verbal elaboration on this one, if you please.

I think Archivers explanation is better than the boring reality of the truth. A few years back the State Library underwent a massive redevelopment, the structure you see was a quirky piece that the developers
had built at the bottom of the steps during that time. The photo doesn't show it, but it's fully 3 dimensional and really looks as if a building is partially buried there, odd for sure but it blends in quite well, I
like it and I think most Melburnians do too.....provides me a nice object to lean on to rest and have a smoke when I go on photo walks :)

Love what you are doing with the GR! I'm getting closer to getting mine, now :) Seriously considering selling the X100 (shock!)

Thank you Sue....I'm really enjoying it. At first I was concerned about the lack of evf/ovf since thats how I shoot all my cameras, but ya know, the screen is so good that I think I've come to be perfectly
at home with the rear LCD.

I had my GR for almost a week now and have been enjoying it a lot so here some pictures from the past week.

20-06-2013_09.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20-06-2013_01.jpg

22-06-2013_01.jpg

25-06-2013_14.jpg

25-06-2013_09.jpg

25-06-2013_07.jpg

25-06-2013_03.jpg

24-06-2013_01.jpg

20-06-2013_03.jpg

After procrastinating for some time, I've finally picked out some from my photostream:

8987656482_32500037b6_b.jpg

Forgot if this is the cross-process or retro effect...

8987670568_1f0d09679a_b.jpg

Before...

8986445451_70201741fa_b.jpg

After... using DxO Optics Pro "HDR artistic" preset to recover the underexposed areas. Very impressed.

Back