Nikon Showcase Nikon Coolpix A Image Thread

Wow....you guys are posting some REALLY good stuff here, really enjoyable viewing.

...and Tallahassee, big thanks to you for showing me that I shouldn't fear getting in close for portraits with such a wide lens.

Anybody can do it with 85mm lens :)

one more from the A,

_DSC1025.jpg

I know that you love your street shots, Ray, but I think these are the kind of images that REALLY show off what the camera can do.

Thanks Nic. I guess you're right in terms of pure IQ, DR, colors, etc. But they seem so easy in a sense - go take a walk in a pretty place and take photos of pretty stuff... Most cameras seem to do fine with this kind of shooting in decent light. The street stuff tells me more about a camera just because it challenges it differently. It has to capture movement, sometimes extreme contrast, constantly changing light, sometimes very LOW light (still with movement). I know the images don't show what the sensor can do quite as obviously, but it just seems they present a lot more challenges for the camera (and the photographer, but that's the one constant variable in my attempts with various different cameras). I guess they just tell different things about the camera. So far, the "A" is about the best set up street camera I've used (for how I shoot anyway - not meant t be a universal statement) and it obviously does the other stuff well too. It just seems like its getting pretty hard to find a camera that does NOT do the other stuff really really well!

-Ray

Wonderful images in this thread. Boosted my confidence to buy the Coolpix A today. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the practical tips on using this camera out and about.

Tonight's snap on the escalator a to an ice dinner in Mid-Levels, Hong Kong.

I'm getting to grips with the controls here. I set this to shutter priority, 1/80th, with auto-iso capped at 3200. The camera chose f/2.8 and iso-2000, which would seem to suggest it likes wide open over higher ISO.

It's no Pulizter photo, but I can see a lot more here than my iPhone would have managed in the scene. Also (and this is day two with the camera), I like the controls, and the quality feel...

escalator.jpg

Modern day Nikon S, or modern day Nikon mess?

A leatherette.jpg

(It was US$16.80 including shipping, but I had to buy without knowing how it might look. Easily removable. Adds some grip to ergonomics, but... does it look silly, or classic?)

I like it, but I would take a black marker or something similar and darken the little circle around the IR sensor or whatever the black spot above the DX logo is. Other than that, massive improvement IMO!

Phones
It often catches my eye just how engaged we are with our phones - they create our space, our own world.

phones.jpg

(I'm also enjoying that wide 28mm view of the world).

In an effort to keep this thread going in the face of very few Nikon A owners, I'll put up a handful of my favorite Italy shots taken with the A. I know there are at least a few of us with this camera - lets keep 'em coming...

9284902475_3971824bba_b.jpg

Nikon Positano-29-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

9186887440_d82186dcae_b.jpg

Dinner and Sunset-1-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

9173628250_2d0608e4b1_b.jpg

Greetings from Italy by ramboorider1, on Flickr

9208969193_ba1d6208a8_b.jpg

Positano-34-Edit-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

9236526129_8182e767fd_b.jpg

Path of the Gods-34-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

9287664008_db7bb19fc3_b.jpg

Nikon Positano-36-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

9297597505_2c1a267716_b.jpg

Nikon Ravello-Amalfi-66-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

9276694211_4e63c41134_b.jpg

Nikon Positano-6-2-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

9328273598_bcd2a8ebae_b.jpg

Nikon Misc-112-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

9325475121_3f60b67d80_b.jpg

Nikon Misc-41-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

I wish Nikon had found a way to put a Hybrid VF in it would make a modern day classic rangefinder..

I get that impulse, but I like it just how it is, as with the GR. Some cameras I prefer shooting with viewfinders, but some small pocket cameras like the A and GR I like just pulling out in their extremely unassuming way and shooting like you're using a cellphone or a pocket cam, which you ARE doing in a sense. But their image making capabilities are just so incredibly good - small or not - and if you have an eye you can make great photographs with these little wonders. If you want a modern day classic rangefinder type camera (because Lecia's making the only ACTUAL rangefinders out there today), the Fuji X100 or X-Pro fills the bill very nicely. The X100 isn't even all that much larger, but it's large enough to look like a "camera", rather than a pocket cam. But both of them have that rangefinder/OVF thing going on and can be had with 28mm equivalent lenses. But neither of them are nearly as small or unassuming as the A or GR. And if you put a hybrid VF on either of them, they'd probably be about as big as the X100. So I'm glad they exist just as they are. I have a little OVF for it if I choose to use it, which I very rarely do. Usually I like it just as is...

-Ray

I get that impulse, but I like it just how it is, as with the GR. Some cameras I prefer shooting with viewfinders, but some small pocket cameras like the A and GR I like just pulling out in their extremely unassuming way and shooting like you're using a cellphone or a pocket cam, which you ARE doing in a sense. But their image making capabilities are just so incredibly good - small or not - and if you have an eye you can make great photographs with these little wonders. If you want a modern day classic rangefinder type camera (because Lecia's making the only ACTUAL rangefinders out there today), the Fuji X100 or X-Pro fills the bill very nicely. The X100 isn't even all that much larger, but it's large enough to look like a "camera", rather than a pocket cam. But both of them have that rangefinder/OVF thing going on and can be had with 28mm equivalent lenses. But neither of them are nearly as small or unassuming as the A or GR. And if you put a hybrid VF on either of them, they'd probably be about as big as the X100. So I'm glad they exist just as they are. I have a little OVF for it if I choose to use it, which I very rarely do. Usually I like it just as is...

-Ray

I feel the exact same way. Despite shooting all my other cameras with an EVF, the GR just feels right shooting from the rear LCD. Every single camera I've had previously either had an EVF or I purchased the attachment, even with the wonderful tilt screen on the OMD I'd say 95%+ of my shots are with the EVF so when I purchased the GR I factored in $200 to get a nice little Sigma VF11 viewfinder, after a week with the GR...and to my surprise, I scrapped the idea and saved myself the $200. It's the one camera that I actually love shooting the way it is. With the RX1 I don't mind either way...but prefer shooting with the EVF.

Back