Nikon Showcase Nikon Coolpix A Image Thread

Here are a couple from Newburyport, MA. Really enjoy shooting with this camera. I usually have an OVF attached and use that a lot. Also often just shoot using the LCD.

DSC_0010.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0023.jpg

-Thomas

The DR is really nice in that shot - where is that from? I like the road "snaking" around the mountain, adds a bit if interest to the picture.

Here is another one showing off the superb matrix metering of the camera. Same shot with the GR shows the white building a lot more gray.

DSC_0143.jpg

Pelham, Massachusetts

-Thomas

Oh wow - Newburyport and Woodstock! Was just in NP for a friend's kid's birthday party 2 weeks ago, and we spent last Thanksgiving just outside Woodstock VT. I love that town.

Interesting thread and some wonderful pictures. I am on the prowl for a 'serious compact' camera with a lens wider than my RX1. I only wish someone would do a APS-C compact with a high quality 21mm lens. However, in the meantime this camera is really attractive.

LouisB

Interesting thread and some wonderful pictures. I am on the prowl for a 'serious compact' camera with a lens wider than my RX1. I only wish someone would do a APS-C compact with a high quality 21mm lens. However, in the meantime this camera is really attractive.

LouisB
Yeah, this is a great camera. But the Ricoh GR is very very similar, equally great in all but a couple of ways and arguably better in a couple others AND there's a 21mm adapter available for it that gets pretty high marks. It makes it larger, its probably not for everyone, but it might be the ticket for you if you don't want ONLY 21mm, but want it as an option. Both are worth checking out, but if you want a 21mm option, the Ricoh is the way to go.

-Ray

Greetings -

I have bit the bullet and taken possession of a Coolpix A. My first impressions are excellent - I compared side by side with the Ricoh GR, and aside from the difference in price, I preferred the colors, white balance, metering, and setup for street shooting with the A. After setting up the A for street shooting, I realized that I used almost the same parameters as I later read that Ray Sachs is using for his A. When I read further into Ray's posts, and saw that he also owned a Sony RX-1 and a Fuji XE-1, cameras that I also own, I came to the conclusion that great minds must think alike! For me, the A allows me to do street shooting when the occasion arises (New York and Boston), but I also like the ability to do landscapes where I live in New England, and in low country South Carolina, where we spend a good amount of time. Love the sharpness and the look that the A provides, and am very happy with the purchase. I will be posting as soon as work allows. One question - I have temporarily installed a U-Strap on the A, but would prefer a good wrist strap that would would well with the lugs on the A. Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Vic

Welcome to the forum Vic!! I went the Ricoh GR route, but I really like the A as well. I used one at the local store, and I was super impressed with the IQ.

I haven't installed a wrist strap on my GR, but on my other cameras, I like these OP/Tech ones: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/661964-REG/OP_TECH_USA_1821021_Cam_Strap_QD_Green_Plaid.html

It's a neoprene strap that is very comfortable on the wrist. It has a quick release, so you can interchange a wrist strap for a pinky strap or for a neck strap quite easily. I avoid the neck strap, because the neoprene flexes and the camera starts bouncing as I'm walking as if it's on a bungee!

Greetings -

I have bit the bullet and taken possession of a Coolpix A. My first impressions are excellent - I compared side by side with the Ricoh GR, and aside from the difference in price, I preferred the colors, white balance, metering, and setup for street shooting with the A. After setting up the A for street shooting, I realized that I used almost the same parameters as I later read that Ray Sachs is using for his A. When I read further into Ray's posts, and saw that he also owned a Sony RX-1 and a Fuji XE-1, cameras that I also own, I came to the conclusion that great minds must think alike! For me, the A allows me to do street shooting when the occasion arises (New York and Boston), but I also like the ability to do landscapes where I live in New England, and in low country South Carolina, where we spend a good amount of time. Love the sharpness and the look that the A provides, and am very happy with the purchase. I will be posting as soon as work allows. One question - I have temporarily installed a U-Strap on the A, but would prefer a good wrist strap that would would well with the lugs on the A. Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Vic
Wow, very cool - someone else who thinks like I do! Lest anyone raise suspicions, I had no prior knowledge of Vic and did not invent his user name or persona. If the Ricoh GR had merely allowed for a higher user selected minimum shutter speed in auto-ISO (in aperture priority mode), I might well have bought one of those. But they didn't and that seemingly small difference makes ALL the difference in terms of ease of use on the street for me. For anything else, its not really an issue at all, but for street shooting, its pretty huge for me.

Congratulations also on your fine taste in terms of the RX1 and XE1. I look forward to seeing your street (and other) work and am glad to have more participation in this thread. Since Retow got the GR and dropped his "A", its gotten pretty lonely over here.

Welcome Vic!

-Ray

Shot a bunch at a local restaurant festival today, all with the Nikon. Easiest street camera I've ever used. Set and mostly forget other than the exposure comp setting, or aperture changes if you're moving from good light to low light or vice versa, but mostly set and forget and just focus on getting the moment.

View attachment 76382
Restaurant Fest-55-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 76383
Restaurant Fest-110-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 76384
Restaurant Fest-23-2-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 76385
Restaurant Fest-33-2-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 76386
Restaurant Fest-108-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

Shot a bunch at a local restaurant festival today, all with the Nikon. Easiest street camera I've ever used. Set and mostly forget other than the exposure comp setting, or aperture changes if you're moving from good light to low light or vice versa, but mostly set and forget and just focus on getting the moment.

I'm enjoying these Ray. How are you shooting? Zone, auto-focus? What shutter speeds in general? ISO's in general? Sorry for all the questions. Still learning.

I'm enjoying these Ray. How are you shooting? Zone, auto-focus? What shutter speeds in general? ISO's in general? Sorry for all the questions. Still learning.

Hi Tom,

Zone focus, f6.3 (on all of them - I use f3.5 in low light, but all of these were in decent to very good light), mostly focussed at 2 meters (occasionally moved it in a bit closer when I was really close), aperture priority, auto-ISO with max ISO of 6400 (never reached in these circumstances) and minimum shutter speed set to 1/500. In low light, when the camera hits the max of 6400 and still doesn't have enough light to shoot at 1/500, it will start coming down to the shutter speed that will assure proper exposure, but until that happens, it maintains the high shutter speed.

-Ray

Hi Tom,

Zone focus, f6.3 (on all of them - I use f3.5 in low light, but all of these were in decent to very good light), mostly focussed at 2 meters (occasionally moved it in a bit closer when I was really close), aperture priority, auto-ISO with max ISO of 6400 (never reached in these circumstances) and minimum shutter speed set to 1/500. In low light, when the camera hits the max of 6400 and still doesn't have enough light to shoot at 1/500, it will start coming down to the shutter speed that will assure proper exposure, but until that happens, it maintains the high shutter speed.

-Ray

I appreciate your generosity and sharing of knowledge. I admire your work. I have learned a lot from you in a short time. Thank you Ray.

I appreciate your generosity and sharing of knowledge. I admire your work. I have learned a lot from you in a short time. Thank you Ray.

Happy to help Tom. Although from what I've seen of your work, you're pretty much there in terms of technique. You seem to have figured out how to get the best out of the GR for what you do. And so now, as with all of us, its more about going out and shooting and enjoying what you're getting and always trying to refine your vision to become a better photographer. Getting comfortable with the technical parts of street shooting can be a fairly consuming first step, but I think you're there. And now its just a matter of shooting a lot and getting more discriminating with our results. I know I've personally come to like less and less of my street work. I enjoy the process a lot and occasionally really nail a shot, but over time fewer and fewer of my shots stay in my "keeper" file. But the technical part I feel pretty comfortable with. As you appear to...

-Ray

I know I've personally come to like less and less of my street work. I enjoy the process a lot and occasionally really nail a shot, but over time fewer and fewer of my shots stay in my "keeper" file.

-Ray

I understand that sentiment. At first I was jumping up and down just to get a sharp photo. Now I delete shots that I don't feel are worthy of keeping just because they are technically well exposed and sharp.

Tom K.

Back