Nikon Showcase Nikon Coolpix A Image Thread

Hey Joe,

Nice shot and nice to see you posting in this thread - I didn't realize you had a Coolpix A. Didn't you have a GR at one point or am I thinking of someone else? If so, what caused the change?

The A was my first experience with Nikon since the film days and it really hooked me. Now I'm shooting with a Nikon full frame (still trying to decide for sure between the DF and D610 - two incredible choices!) and the "A" and the RX1. I really love the way Nikon thinks through an interface and set of controls. All those years of experience really are good for some things.

I look forward to seeing more...

-Ray

Hey Joe,

Nice shot and nice to see you posting in this thread - I didn't realize you had a Coolpix A. Didn't you have a GR at one point or am I thinking of someone else? If so, what caused the change?

The A was my first experience with Nikon since the film days and it really hooked me. Now I'm shooting with a Nikon full frame (still trying to decide for sure between the DF and D610 - two incredible choices!) and the "A" and the RX1. I really love the way Nikon thinks through an interface and set of controls. All those years of experience really are good for some things.

I look forward to seeing more...

-Ray

Hi Ray, the main reason I have a Coolpix A is battery and price. Uses the same battery as the V3 and AW1 and amazon warehouse deals had a like new one that kept going down in price to $450. Couldn't resist. Took lots of shots in Tokyo and worked great for street photography and all the tiny toys and dolls and anime characters throughout the city. Below is an example at iso 1600. And of course it is nice to be shooting the camera as you. Will try to post more when I get a little time. Joe

p335952832-5.jpg

One from this morning's sunrise. I'd really like to have taken the Df with a zoom, but when I'm up that early, I'm walking the dog, so the A was the only game in town. The other day the sunrise was gorgeous but in too small an area to capture well with a 28mm FOV, but this morning's spread out enough for the A to work pretty well. Shown elsewhere too, but this is the only thread I've seen anywhere online with a decent body of shots from this great little camera and I like to help keep it going...

14537934109_2d61987af9_h.jpg
Sunrise 7-23-26-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

This is a sunrise plus, it has a lot of foreground and midground interest as well as good cloudscape!
The Df looks too much of a behemoth for me. The A more goldilocks.

Tested Coolpix A on a tripod. It was surprisingly easy to use in this mode, everything in manual control.

Immediately after this picture I took similar one with my Df and Zeiss 28mm/2. The difference was minor and limited mostly to the style of lens rendering since only ISO400 was needed. Df files have more latitude for post processing (not a surprise).

14948779702_7f34b5b5d8_b.jpg

Large size in flickr for those who are interrested.
August Sunset

Tested Coolpix A on a tripod. It was surprisingly easy to use in this mode, everything in manual control.

Immediately after this picture I took similar one with my Df and Zeiss 28mm/2. The difference was minor and limited mostly to the style of lens rendering since only ISO400 was needed. Df files have more latitude for post processing (not a surprise).
That's really nice. I don't find the Coolpix A is more than slightly behind the Df, when it comes to DR and processing latitude (the D610 or RX1 is another story). It's primary strength is when the light gets really low and the ISO climbs and then it's as good as anything out there (with the possible exception of the A7s) and better than most. The Coolpix A is a pretty great little tool within it's somewhat limited parameters...

-Ray

I agree, at low ISO Coolpix A has almost fx-class picture quality. It is not the most flexible camera out there but with little bit of imagination it provides really great pics.

Some street shots from my recent trip to Melbourne. When doing street photography with Coolpix A I use mf almost exclusively. From this set only the last picture is taken with af.

14690918334_b18de2b4fe_b.jpg

14670294216_76f2b34ae0_b.jpg

14647664476_1c5b93ccab_b.jpg

14484020658_8c95a0001e_b.jpg

testing a Coolpix A

borrowed a friend's Coolpix A and have been testing it out the last week, and quite liking the results. mostly available light, small apertures, relatively low ISO's. I particularly like the dynamic range and the sense of colors which this sensor/lens combo seems to produce

an image from atop my writing desk (one of my muses, I'm afraid)

14899215118_fb6f8d9b32_b.jpg
Desk Simian by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

the keys on my ancient typewriter, sitting unusued for many years -

14842657847_8145a818a2_b.jpg
Typewriter keys by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

a water hose in my garden on an unspeakably hot late summer afternoon -

15082854891_41ec8185d5_b.jpg
Water Hose by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

and a tree branch in the same garden, near sunset

14899274580_493a3cf871_b.jpg
tree branch by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

I'm especially liking the diminutive size.

I may have to get myself one of these.

a few more

And rounding out my first week of playing around with the Coopix A -

This was taken late at night in a supermarket, in the pastry section -

14899421657_2bb12dbf95_b.jpg

Cupcakes
by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

A selection of hanging stuffed animals in the Toy section of IKEA -

14899591437_66340932b9_b.jpg

Hanging Wolves

And finally a bit of random roadside Americana, discovered at an exit off Interstate-5 in the middle of Oregon -

14899456358_6361fd583d_b.jpg

Mushroom Car

This lens produces beautiful tones.

Back