Nikon Showcase Nikon Coolpix A Image Thread

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
I know there are only a small few of us on Serious Compacts who have opted for the Nikon A rather than the Ricoh GR. Retow has already started a couple of great photo threads with photos from a specific trip or location. I've posted some as part of my review/comparison threads. This is just for more general Coolpix A shots. I know there aren't a lot of us, but I think there are at least 3-4 with this camera, so feel free to add your photos here.

I'll start out with some shots from a morning in Philly yesterday. I walked around for a couple of hours with Don "Streetshooter" Springer, me with the Nikon, he with the Ricoh GR. Small 28mm pocket rocket heaven...

View attachment 71013
Philly with Nikon-232-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 71014
Philly with Nikon-6-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 71015
Philly with Nikon-191-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 71016
Philly with Nikon-18-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

9044536709_0c3c148abc_b.jpg

Philly with Nikon-332-Edit-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 71018
Philly with Nikon-59-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 71019
Philly with Nikon-371-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 71020
Philly with Nikon-275-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

_DSC1016.jpg

Hi Ray, great pictures. The A comes close to the perfect street shooting cam, doesn`t it. Provided one likes the 28mm FOW. What are your settings for street shooting? I use it in M mode, 1/500 or faster shutter speed, between f5.6-8, auto iso limit at 3200 and sometimes even iso 6400, MF set around 1.8-2M.

Hi Ray, great pictures. The A comes close to the perfect street shooting cam, doesn`t it. Provided one likes the 28mm FOW. What are your settings for street shooting? I use it in M mode, 1/500 or faster shutter speed, between f5.6-8, auto iso limit at 3200 and sometimes even iso 6400, MF set around 1.8-2M.
That's the way I was shooting the Ricoh, but with the Nikon's auto-ISO setup, I just leave it in aperture priority with auto ISO set with a high ISO of 6400 and a minimum shutter speed of 1/500. The camera won't get up to 6400 unless it needs to and it there's not enough light at 6400 and 1/500, it'll start dropping the shutter speed as needed. This is the same logic I'd be using in Manual mode, but in aperture priority the camera does the work. All I do is change the aperture as needed (usually about 6.3 in good light, 3.5 in low light) and work the exposure com settings as I move between shadows and sun. I usually leave focus at 2 meters but sometimes move it to between 1 - 1.5 for extremely tight shooting. With this auto ISO setup, the A is the easiest to use street camera I've ever shot with. If Ricoh had a minimum shutter speed of 1/500 or higher, I'd have saved the $300 and bought the GR, but the difference between their max of 1/250 and Nikon allowing you to go as high as 1/1000 made all the difference for me. 1/250 makes that mode kind of useless to me in any kind of decent light. 1/500 makes it all work together perfectly.

Amazing how close the two cameras are in almost every respect, with the differences coming down to details and preferences. This particular detail made all the difference for how I like to shoot - for my preferences. I never changed a single setting other than exposure comp and aperture for any of the shots in this thread. Just changed aperture from 6.3 to 3.5 when I moved from sunny outdoors to dark indoors and that was it...

-Ray

Yeah, its starting to be my favorite portrait lens too, at least in your hands. Man, this is great stuff! Do you have a flickr or SmugMug page or something - there are some people I'd like to show your stuff to...

-Ray

Yeah, its starting to be my favorite portrait lens too, at least in your hands. Man, this is great stuff! Do you have a flickr or SmugMug page or something - there are some people I'd like to show your stuff to...

-Ray

Thanks Ray! I admire your work as well!

I have a lot, and I mean, a lot of stuff but it's all scattered on different webpages. I am in the process of putting together a personal website, I will send you a link when I have it up.

I'm not likely to do much new shooting before I leave for Italy next week and don't expect to be able to post much or often from there (although I'll be shooting myself silly). So here are a few last contributions until early August. First, a few more from the other day in Philly:

View attachment 71108
Philly with Nikon-137-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 71109
Philly with Nikon-118-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 71110
Philly with Nikon-181-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 71111
Philly with Nikon-287-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

I look at all these fine images, and I wonder to myself....how would I do with the Coolpix on car shots??

might have to find out.

You would do great car photos with ANY camera Lucille - I'm quite sure of it. The Nikon would do very well and if you like the wider perspective, that might be one place it would be better for a given shot over the RX1. But other than that, there's no way in which the Coolpix would be better than the RX1 for the kind of shooting you tend to do. Its great in low light, but the RX1 is way better than great. It has great image quality but the RX1 is better there too.

So, if you want a wider angle, go crazy. But otherwise, I don't think it offers much that you don't already have really well covered...

-Ray

Back