Ricoh Ricoh GR - Sigma DP1 emulation

Archiver

Top Veteran
In 2008 I bought the Sigma DP1, the first large sensor compact camera ever made. Much derided for its slow lens and even slower operation, the DP1 became a cult favourite for its quirky and glossy colour rendition, clarity and sharpness. Many have ascribed this look to the unique three-layer design of the Foveon sensor, as well as the processing that occurs in Sigma Photo Pro. Despite owning many other cameras, I have continued to use the DP1 as no other camera seemed to be able to produce that magical 'look'. Until now.

In the first few weeks of using the Ricoh GR, I noticed that a few images had a similar kind of transparency and wide dynamic range to DP1 files. Intrigued, I shot a series of images with the DP1 and GR side by side, and processed the DP1 images on Auto in Sigma Photo Pro. Then I used Lightroom 4.4 (including updated GR profile) to adjust the GR files until they were as close to DP1 colours and dynamic range handling as I could get.

Recovery of highlight and shadow was done with a combination of Basic adjustments as well as Tone Curve, and the DP1's idiosyncratic colour response was handled by a combination of Split Toning and Hue adjustments. The DP1 has a certain way of rendering blue and yellow, and the shadows and highlights are not strictly black and white. Frankly, I was amazed and very pleased at how close to the DP1 I have been able to come.

I call this Lightroom preset 'Fauxveon DP1'

Check this out.

9112413381_8fb7776c22_b.jpg

GR - Fauxveon Test 4 by Archiver, on Flickr

9114616478_7da990fb59_b.jpg

GR - Fauxveon Test 5 by Archiver, on Flickr

9112298715_f915a86f36_b.jpg

GR - Fauxvoen Test 2 by Archiver, on Flickr

9112313325_4f24d62d1c_b.jpg

GR Fauxveon Test 1 by Archiver, on Flickr

Work is ongoing to refine the Lightroom formula, but I'm very happy with how this has turned out so far. If anyone is interested, I can send them the Lightroom preset to play with. I am also working on a DP2 emulation preset for the Ricoh GXR 50mm module. This has not been as easy, and is still much more of a work in progress.

These look really nice, well done!
(I especially like the third one)

Yes, the colour in the shadows and highlights are a big contribution to the Foven "look". Most other cameras are in a way too neutral in these areas... And of course there's other stuff going on :)
Really interesting, thanks for sharing!

Very nice colors, Archiver. As soon as I reach the mandatory three posts, I'll send you a request for this excellent looking preset.

Here's a sample image using this preset. Thanks, Archiver, I'm really liking the colors I'm getting.

Attachments

• R0000774.jpg
    R0000774.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 255
Thanks for all the interest, as I love the DP1 look and colour signature.

The samples I used for calibration were taken using auto white balance, pointed into a bright summer day landscape, comprised of about half green trees and half blue sky and a few clouds. Shooting the GR outside of these conditions will give dissimilar results due to the use of auto white balance. If I were being more scientific about it, I would have set WB manually on the GR and done the same with the DP1, but I wanted the easiest route to that colour palette.

My reasoning was that if the DP1 renders in a characteristic way in bright daylight in auto WB, then I ought to shoot both cameras in that to make it fairly even.

So far about ten people have been sent the Fauxveon preset. More samples, guys! :D

Back