Micro 4/3 Oly VF4 Arrived!

Stan

Regular
Name
Stan
Just received mine from amazon. I am using it with the Epm2, though expect that this will not be the last body I will ever own compatible with the VF4. I'll post images soon. So far the optical quality, color, and detail are fantastic, and really changes the camera. I can frame very precisely with it.

The build is solid. I love the dial for the diopter. It has firm clicks, so doesn't move like previous models, when stored.

Have you used the VF2 or the OMD EVF? Any thoughts/comparisons?

I have used the VF2 and own the VF3. The VF4 noticeably bigger than the VF2 and streets ahead of the VF3. No contest with the VF3. I have also owned the GH2 and G1 in the past. Both those EVFs are nice, equivalent to the VF2. The VF4 feels close in size to my Canon 5D3 OVF, though the Canon OVF still seems larger.

One nice aspect of the VF4 is the color and exposure look close to what you see in replay mode on the LCD. Thus judging exposure is accurate via the VF4 (so far in my experience). In that regard it is a big step forward.

Side note: eye sensor is not functional with EPM2, EPL5.

Some pics of the VF-4 + EPM2. It's a bit Hulk-Fist mutant, but I like it anyways.

GU2A3147.jpg
GU2A3149.jpg

I'd like it on my E-p3, but that big hulk would defeat the purpose of having the small pen body. Looks to me. that I ought to just get the E-m5 or Pentax K5 instead, if I really want the VF. But, I will probably get the VF2 or 4, anyway. Cheaper that new camera, and it is removable, when not needed.

I'd like it on my E-p3, but that big hulk would defeat the purpose of having the small pen body. Looks to me. that I ought to just get the E-m5 or Pentax K5 instead, if I really want the VF. But, I will probably get the VF2 or 4, anyway. Cheaper that new camera, and it is removable, when not needed.

The fact that I can take it off to keep it small is what makes it work for me. I can use the 14/2.5, no EVF, and small wrist strap for discreet use. Or I can put the VF4 on and a neck strap for when I do more considered shooting, with more lens changes. It is mitigating my urge to get a larger body Oly Pen or OM (for the time being at least.)

Would you say it is a step up from the VF-2 with regard to manual focusing? I'm considering an evf for using my legacy glass with the E-PL5.

[I thought I replied yesterday, but my reply seems to be missing]
VF4 is bigger, more details, and better in estimating exposure. I would think it is an improve with regards to MF, but I don't shoot with legacy glass much. How much better is something I can't estimate, because I have not had a VF2 in a long while.

One of these days I'll borrow a friend's Minolta 58/1.2. That should be a good test :)

On a side note, focus peaking and the VF4 would be a nice combo. I could see MF being useful in much more situations with focus peaking and a big EVF.

Back