Ricoh GRD IV problem

Notjustanybeth

Regular
Name
Bethany
I'm really only posting for tea and sympathy here. :tongue:

My GRD IV is doing this:

[video=youtube_share;KRSn6uWjpRg]

I changed the battery. I left the battery out for awhile. I used a bit of compressed air to try and blow any lint or hairs or whatever out. No luck.

And there has been a weird smear(?) on a couple of shots recently. You can see it up at the top right hand corner of this shot. I don't know if the issues are related or not. It's very strange. I noticed it in another photo with a lot of sky, but then some others didn't have it. Any ideas?

facebook-0012619.jpg

I have packaged it up to send to Pentax Canada today. It is amazing how attached to a camera one can get. I haven't been able to use it for 5 days and I really miss it. It's the first camera I've had that I carry with me almost all the time.

If you have a cat with fine hair... that may be the streak... it looks like that kind of thing, out of focus. My Tom's hair gets into everything, even stuff he hasn't been near (which is why he gets multiple brushings every day). So far not in any zooms, but not for want of trying. I daren't leave camera bags on floor.

Hope you can get it fixed. My GRD3 has a broken battery latch (not the door, the little internal that keeps the battery in place) and it seems it will cost more than the camera is worth to get fixed. I'm tolerating it. sometimes it starts up after recharging and sometimes it doesn't. I've found I don't need to add tape to the bottom of the battery, its as reliable with as without.

I haven't had the camera for a year yet, so it is still under warranty. Hopefully it is an easy and quick fix. Fingers crossed!

Cat hair. Doh! Of course. I should have thought of that.

facebook-0012299.jpg

Agreed. I have one that I bought 2 months before GR came out (that I bought). Have not sold it yet and I'm not sure why except maybe 2nd thoughts. I do like the GR enough that I can't see selling. I know that sounds contradictory.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SeriousCompacts mobile app

I guess I will take out and about with me and give it another whirl. I'm afraid of the retractable lens breaking again. And not being an urban dweller my needs for a stealthy ninja camera are very low. I'm wondering if I should have gone for a camera with interchangeable lenses. We'll see. Maybe it's just GAS. :)

I guess I will take out and about with me and give it another whirl. I'm afraid of the retractable lens breaking again. And not being an urban dweller my needs for a stealthy ninja camera are very low. I'm wondering if I should have gone for a camera with interchangeable lenses. We'll see. Maybe it's just GAS. :)

Good luck! Stealthy ninja isnt all its good for, it does fabulous macro, wonderful landscapes and amazing seascapes. Its also good for catching birds in flight, believe it or not :)

This is not to say any of the following shots are by any means fabulous, wonderful or amazing. Or from the GRDIV. Mine is a 3, but the IV, with stabilisation, should be even better :)

6958617018_e7fd8557a9_c.jpg

Gull in Flight by kyte50, on Flickr

7457119212_69529a68d8_c.jpg

On Brisbane Waters by kyte50, on Flickr

7119880461_280950997e_c.jpg

Yacht at Anchor by kyte50, on Flickr

More than just a street camera, IMO.

Thanks. Yes, the macro is pretty amazing. I've heard it beats the GR in this. I haven't tried the GR, but I was pretty impressed with the IV's abilities getting up close and personal.

It reminds me of my old Panasonic FX-something which didn't have any sealing around its sensor. I had to take it apart every 3 months or so and clean the sensor, otherwise it developed all kinds of weird smears and black dust spots.

Oh, I don't want to go through this every 3 months. It seems strange, as I'd heard that they were pretty tough, despite the retractable lens. Hmmm... I've been doing some searching for that metal cap that will protect it, and keep it from turning on inside my bag, the GL-1. Maybe that would help.

Back