Fuji X100s and Ricoh GR: complementary or duplicative?

GR, A, RX100 can go into my pocket. x100s at twice the size cannot, that to me is the main difference. I can put GR in my pocket and pair it with a longer focal length camera on strap. If I am using x100s/DPxM etc, they will be the camera on strap or in camera case. So in this sense, I think the GR and x100s are quite redundant considering how close their focal length is (I won't carry a 28mm and 35mm at the same time). I can see myself carrying a DP2/3M and a GR together though.

Any long term feedback on your GR or X100S cameras? Switched? Sold for something else?

I sold both my GR and X100 (non S) and now wish I would have kept one of them.

Any long term feedback on your GR or X100S cameras? Switched? Sold for something else?

I have both the x100 and the Gr still. I bought both when they were first available in the US as well as a rx100.

The way I use them.
- GR is already pretty sharp wide open and only gets better stopping down a bit. It is my default everyday carry camera since I can fit it in my pocket. I like having overall better high iso then I can get w/ the rx100. It becomes the backup camera most of the time..

- the rx100 has now become my backup camera.. Depending on situation.

- x100 as a main camera when the gr is backup. My preferred focal lengths are actually 21/24/35/40/50/90.. With the predominance of my shooting in and around 40mm.. So even w/ a 28mm fov I tend to actually crop pics in and around the 35-50 perspective. So the gr's built in crop function gets used a lot.

Of the three, the gr gets used or carried the most as a single in my front jeans pocket or the backup for my main camera.

I agree w/ Ray, I also c enough difference between the 28 and 35 fov. But I tend to want more dramatic effect once I go wider than 35.. The 28 is an in between focal length for me though. For people shots, the 28 is the widest I would want to use w/o worrying about distortion related issues of lenses of wider perspective.

Gary

Sold the X100s soon after the GR arrived. The overlap in focal lengths was there but that's where the similarities end. They are so essentially very different cameras. The X100s is a more considered, make you think, make you slow down kind of camera, while the GR is about flow and speed. So I answered one aspect of my original question - the cameras are not duplicative.

Yet, today, if you look in the SC Classifieds you'll find a GR listed. So I have gone from both to neither.

Why?

I love looking at good (less than 5%) street images and the GR is the street camera born and bred IMHO, but I've not the opportunity nor aptitude for street photography. The GR's 28mm makes for a fine landscape camera in some instances but then it defeats the raison d'être of the GR - that speed and flow ethos. Also wide isn't always best for landscape (and cow portraits) - so one compact becomes two, three or four….making the working proposition uncompact.

But one aspect of my original question remains - are the X100s and GR complementary?

For me there are no regrets in the buying or the selling of both. Fine cameras the two of them, for two very different styles - neither of which is really me (though the Fuji comes closest).
You know that was not so easy to admit to anyone….including myself.

stillshunter, just out of interest: Do you still own and use a compact, and if so, which one?

Your description of the purpose and sweet spot of the GR strikes me as very accurate - thanks for that!

M.
Hey my pleasure.
Main camera: Leica IIIf w/- CV28/3.5 and Cron 50.
Digital back-up: Canon G1X and G15
Film back-up: Olympus mju:ii (at least 2)….

Back