Panasonic FZ200 Image Thread

Cooper_s_pond_006-3_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

From Cooper's Pond, Troy, NY, this afternoon.

Cheers, Jock

Two more with a maritime theme

130930-1000686.jpg

A gaff rigged Cutter in Plymouth Sound, the lens of the FZ200 is at full stretch, so an example of a shot that would not have been possible with any other of my cameras/lenses

130930-1000694.jpg

The range safety launch Smit Dee crossing Plymouth Sound below the Hoe with, in the background centre left, the elegant facade of West Hoe Terrace

The sky colour in both these shots is the result of some thundery weather to the west.

Barrie

130930-1000686.jpg

A gaff rigged Cutter in Plymouth Sound, the lens of the FZ200 is at full stretch, so an example of a shot that would not have been possible with any other of my cameras/lenses

130930-1000694.jpg

The range safety launch Smit Dee crossing Plymouth Sound below the Hoe with, in the background centre left, the elegant facade of West Hoe Terrace

The sky colour in both these shots is the result of some thundery weather to the west.

Barrie

Barrie,

I can see where "zooming with your feet" could have been difficult.

Your nautical shots are just lovely.

Cheers, Jock

Three with the FZ200

Verbatim copy of a post in "Show Birds" thread

131001-1000710.jpg

Sandwich Tern (Sterna sandvicensis)

131001-1000711.jpg

131001-1000763.jpg

1st winter Shag (Phalacrocorax aristotelis)

Note the thinner bill than a Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo), signs of a forehead, lacking on a Cormorant and a flatter crown to the head. These features are not fully developed in this bird hatched this year, also being a young bird it has a whitish throat and browner plumage than an adult would have.

The first two are probably outrageous captures with an FZ200, call it beginners luck, have to see how well I can repeat the exercise! They are both crops of the original 3:2 format to 2:3, but retaining the full height of the original shot.

Barrie

Verbatim copy of a post in "Show Birds" thread

131001-1000710.jpg

131001-1000711.jpg

131001-1000763.jpg

1st winter Shag (Phalacrocorax aristotelis)

Note the thinner bill than a Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo), signs of a forehead, lacking on a Cormorant and a flatter crown to the head. These features are not fully developed in this bird hatched this year, also being a young bird it has a whitish throat and browner plumage than an adult would have.

The first two are probably outrageous captures with an FZ200, call it beginners luck, have to see how well I can repeat the exercise! They are both crops of the original 3:2 format to 2:3, but retaining the full height of the original shot.

Barrie

Barrie,

Those in-flight shots are impressive!

What were your settings? Maybe I'll "borrow" the recipe . . .

Cheers, Jock

Barrie,

Those in-flight shots are impressive!

What were your settings? Maybe I'll "borrow" the recipe . . .

Cheers, Jock

Auto focus, f/4 and lots of luck, although I can't find a setting for that in the menu. I took no more inflight shots than those, although there were several terns around they hardly ever cam close enough for another attempt. The shots were really just a gamble, I didn't expect the results I got. Ok not the best of image quality, but they should be suitable as evidence if it were a rare bird to back up a written description, and that was the initial rational behind getting the camera.

Barrie

This is just a bit of superzoom fun

This is the view from Prospect Park, NY, this am at full wide 25mm equivalent. If you look very closely at the dead center of the horizon line, you'll see a bump.

Prospect_Park_FZ200_016_Medium_.JPG

Here's the bump at 1200mm equivalent with a bit of atmospheric haze:

Prospect_Park_FZ200_017_Medium_.JPG

Cheers, Jock

Auto focus, f/4 and lots of luck, although I can't find a setting for that in the menu. I took no more inflight shots than those, although there were several terns around they hardly ever cam close enough for another attempt. The shots were really just a gamble, I didn't expect the results I got. Ok not the best of image quality, but they should be suitable as evidence if it were a rare bird to back up a written description, and that was the initial rational behind getting the camera.

Barrie

I can't find a "lots of luck" setting on my FZ200 either. Maybe we should complain to Panasonic.

Cheers, Jock

Some moody black and white images

During my film days of many years ago one of the over riding considerations in my images was image quality, hence my favourite cameras were 120 roll film types capable of shooting 8 on 120 sized negatives.

The FZ200 will never compete on image quality with the results that could be obtained with such cameras, and they needn't have been expensive, top of the range models, my first was an old folding roll film Voigtlander Bessa 1.

However I can't help wondering if image quality is the be all and end all when it comes to judging a photograph. The subject, the emotion generated by the image, the artistic merits of the image and indeed the wow factor all play a part. Also photography is an art form, and above all it's subjective.

To that end I think that the FZ200 with it's at times slightly noisy files is capable of producing moody black and white images, particularly in the weather conditions I'm currently experiencing in my area of the UK. Couple that with it's relatively small size and the fact that beyond a spare battery you don't need to be carrying any other equipment it can comfortably accompany your outings that aren't being made purely for photographic purposes enabling a capture of unexpected opportunities to be made resulting of a record of the event, even if it has some technical shortcomings.

I hope these shots illustrate my point, even if they are not of the best when it comes to composition and the like, the results of a trip yesterday to one of my nearby favourite locations made between periods of rain, and by public transport.

131001-1000703.jpg

131001-1000704.jpg

131001-1000717.jpg

131001-1000738.jpg

131001-1000741.jpg

Barrie

Regarding Some moody black and white images

I particularly like the top one and the two boats heeled over.

They look like they were "shot with eyes the color of a North Atlantic squall."

Cheers, Jock

Shot in more favourable conditions

Some of my recent shots have been in rather difficult conditions, so here's one from earlier today when the sun came out, the rain of this morning (2 inches in 3 hours) thankfully having cleared through.

It shows a former naval liberty boat, now in private hands and used as a dive support vessel, passing below the iconic Smeaton's Tower on Plymouth Hoe. The terrace of houses is Elliott Terrace, number 3 served as the Plymouth home of Lady Nancy Astor, born in Danville, Virginia, who became the first women to take her seat in the British House of Commons (not the first women to be elected) having stood in a by election following the elevation of her husband, Waldorf Astor, to a Viscount on the death of his father. She was elected in late 1919 and served as MP for Plymouth Sutton for over 25 years, she was much loved in the city, and granted the freedom of Plymouth in 1959, but rather controversial in many respects on the national scene.

131003-1000826.jpg

I hope this shot does the FZ200 some justice, again it was being used in the role of walk round camera on what was otherwise a birding outing.

Barrie

Back