Olympus Olympus Stylus 1

Sorry, but you're not nuts. I have both a Pentax APS-C kit and a micro four-thirds kit. But I can see a use for a camera like the Stylus 1. I'll wait until the price drops a bit, but I plan on picking one up.

I can't help but think that with the new Sony/Olympus collaboration, at some point, Olympus will have a 1 inch sensored 'Super Compact'
-Stylus 2?
-XZ-3?
-Something different?

PLEASE don't say that!!! I also shoot with m4/3 and was thinking the exact same thing. (Please tell me I am nuts!)

He he!! I'm gonna buy my Stylus 1 today but still looking for a super high quality small camera for 'real serious' stuff! Looking at the Ricoh GR! I'm just getting fed up with changing lenses and having to think about what to take out with me. Having fixed focal length does mean you have to think more about the image and not have to worry about what lens to pop on. THe Stylus 1 will be for easy snapping when out with friends and family.

He he!! I'm gonna buy my Stylus 1 today but still looking for a super high quality small camera for 'real serious' stuff! Looking at the Ricoh GR! I'm just getting fed up with changing lenses and having to think about what to take out with me. Having fixed focal length does mean you have to think more about the image and not have to worry about what lens to pop on. THe Stylus 1 will be for easy snapping when out with friends and family.

Colour me green with envy. I want!!

Well I got it!! Spent the journey on the way home on the train setting it up and had a play in poor light tonight and it is pretty damn good. Can't wait to see the files in good light.

I just feel this is going to be a really good fun camera to use! It seems to do everything I want and I just love the green cross processing art filter! This camera is fun fun fun!!!!!

Also bought the Stylus 1 after nearly waiting to see the SP100EE.
Although cheaper and a larger zoom the Stylus 1 wins in so many other areas.
Very pleased with the camera, it's performance (it flatters my efforts immensely).
After several Olympus (starting with an OM10) this is my favourite.

I just upgraded from a Canon G12 to a XZ-2 and I'm extremely happy with it and much better IQ I am getting from it. Has anyone owned the XZ-2 and now the Stylus 1 (1)? If you have, can you tell me if the 1 has the exact same IQ as the ZX-2 or better or worse? I would like to have the longer reach, EVF, the 1 has, but IMHO the 1 does not have better or even the same IQ of the XZ-2. My main concern is trading my XZ-2 for the 1 and getting lesser IQ/sharpness. Can you (or anyone else) comment on the IQ of the Stylus 1 vs the XZ-2? If the 1 has the same or better IQ/sharpness as the XZ-2, I may just be tempted to get a Stylu1 one as a second camera. Thanks for any advise.

I just upgraded from a Canon G12 to a XZ-2 and I'm extremely happy with it and much better IQ I am getting from it. Has anyone owned the XZ-2 and now the Stylus 1 (1)? If you have, can you tell me if the 1 has the exact same IQ as the ZX-2 or better or worse? I would like to have the longer reach, EVF, the 1 has, but IMHO the 1 does not have better or even the same IQ of the XZ-2. My main concern is trading my XZ-2 for the 1 and getting lesser IQ/sharpness. Can you (or anyone else) comment on the IQ of the Stylus 1 vs the XZ-2? If the 1 has the same or better IQ/sharpness as the XZ-2, I may just be tempted to get a Stylu1 one as a second camera. Thanks for any advise.

HI Gary. I had the XZ-2 and sold it to get the Stylus 1. (After replacing my XZ-1 with the XZ-2.) And it was primarily because of the improvements (addition of the beautiful EVF and the increased zoom range). As far as IQ they are VERY, VERY close. I think the newer processor of the Stylus 1 give a slight advantage in higher ISOs - maybe 1/2 stop or so - and probably a bit better as far as contrast and sharpness. But the lens on the XZ-2 was faster and probably a bit sharper - to be expected with its much shorter focal length range. So as far as OVERALL IQ - if that is to be your sole deciding factor - I would not replace the XZ-2 with the Stylus 1. But for me, since Olympus was able to keep the IQ so close (perhaps a very slight edge to the Stylus 1) the additional improvements were worth the cost of the upgrade. I really liked the XZ-2 but I love the Stylus 1. I have not been able to do any direct comparisons because (1) I sold the XZ-2 at the time I got the Stylus 1 and (2) most of my XZ-2 shots were shot in RAW and all my Stylus 1 shots are shot in JPEG (because Apple Aperture does not recognize the Stylus 1 RAW files and I really dislike Olympus Viewer), so a true "direct" comparison is not possible. But from what I have seen - and I have been very impressed with the OOC JPEGs from the Stylus 1 - they are VERY close.

Thanks for the reply and comparison, that is basically what I figured. I think I'll keep the XZ-2 for close shots, indoors, low light and wait and see what the upcoming 2/3-1" new cameras that are expected to come out by the end of this year. I just need something that has more reach than 112mm and slightly better high ISO capability, at least to 1600. The XZ-2 is OK up to about ISO 800 and I like the handling, but need at least 200mm for a real travel camera, even if it's a bit larger and heavier. I'm hoping the rumored Nikon P8000 is introduced with its specifications which would be perfect for my needs. If not, any camera with similar specs would be OK with me. Only time will tell.

Well, I think I got a reconditioned Stylus from the Olympus 20% off sale for $447. That price cut through my hemming and hawing. I actually missed this price on the last sale and had a month to brood about it.

Thanks for the reply and comparison, that is basically what I figured. I think I'll keep the XZ-2 for close shots, indoors, low light and wait and see what the upcoming 2/3-1" new cameras that are expected to come out by the end of this year. I just need something that has more reach than 112mm and slightly better high ISO capability, at least to 1600. The XZ-2 is OK up to about ISO 800 and I like the handling, but need at least 200mm for a real travel camera, even if it's a bit larger and heavier. I'm hoping the rumored Nikon P8000 is introduced with its specifications which would be perfect for my needs. If not, any camera with similar specs would be OK with me. Only time will tell.

Hi Gary. These are all from the Stylus 1 - all are OOC JPEGs ISO 1600, Noise Filter OFF and no post processing for noise. I think they say a lot for what this camera can do - but my tolerance for ISO Noise might be less than a lot of other people (comes from growing up with ISO400 Film Grain I guess).

I'd apply a little noise reduction in #1 and #3, but I'm used to shooting RAW.

If I was making prints for someone - or even sharing the files with others - sure. But Gary was concerned about how the Stylus 1 would handle ISO800 and higher, and "applying a little noise reduction" would defeat the purpose of the post. What I do like is that when I get a shot that I feel needs that little extra work, the noise in the Stylus 1 files clean up very nicely without must loss of detail

The Stylus came in today. To my delight, my version of ACR can handle the RAW files. Following the traditions of the forum ;) the first shot is a flower:

newflower-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The raw files do seem to clean up well. Of course, as a longtime Olympus user and EM5 owner, the menus were obvious and the camera feels familiar. Fingers crossed pending further experience . . .

Back