Leica M goes to London's Borough Market

Mixalis

Rookie
Name
Mike Evans
An outing for my M and 35mm Summilux at London's ancient Borough Market earlier today. The market dates back to "at least" 1014 and is now the foremost food market in London, with the strong emphasis on gastronomic delights from around the world. See my full review at Macfilos Photo.

Attachments

• M1000514.jpg
    M1000514.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 418
  • M1000536.jpg
    M1000536.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 382
  • M1000547.jpg
    M1000547.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 393
  • M1000572_HDR.jpg
    M1000572_HDR.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 456
  • M1000634.jpg
    M1000634.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 384
I like Borough Market. In fact I think I've photographed this same guy in your last picture in the Spanish shop ;) I just got an M too and took it to Ascot Races today. I only have the 50mm Summilux and found it too short for my needs. Managed to get a few keepers but I can't help feeling it was the wrong tool for the job today :(

I like Borough Market. In fact I think I've photographed this same guy in your last picture in the Spanish shop ;) I just got an M too and took it to Ascot Races today. I only have the 50mm Summilux and found it too short for my needs. Managed to get a few keepers but I can't help feeling it was the wrong tool for the job today :(

Time to start thinking about a 90mm, then. The 90mm 2.5 Summarit is quite nice for not so much money (in Leica terms).

I have revisited the scene with both 75mm APO-Summicron and 90mm APO-Summicron and I have to say I have more keepers with the 35mm. It's not that the longer lenses aren't sharp--the 75mm is one of my favourites--it's just that the angle of view doesn't seem to suit the close and busy market a much as a wider lens.

Nice set of images. I was there last week. Great place to visit and take the camera.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/13920091315/player/" width="1024" height="683" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/13920526814/player/" width="1024" height="683" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice series, Andy. Borough Market really is one of my favourites but there are so many nice welcoming markets in the East End. Sometimes, though, there are more photographers and tourists than serious shoppers.

Nice series, Andy. Borough Market really is one of my favourites but there are so many nice welcoming markets in the East End. Sometimes, though, there are more photographers and tourists than serious shoppers.

Hi there
What other markets would you recommend in London ?
Best Rgds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like Seattle's Pike Place Market. During the week it's a fully functioning market. Some of the best times of my life were when my wife and I lived a few blocks north of the market and I worked several blocks south, and I'd stop there nearly daily on my way home from work and grab some fish and veggies for dinner.

But on a weekend, all of the touristy vendors show up and the place is so over-run with tourists you can't even walk through the place, much less use it as a functional place to buy essentials. I haven't actually been back in a few years and it might be almost as bad during the week now, but when I was last there, the difference between weekdays and weekends was still pretty huge...

-Ray

Hi there
What other markets would you recommend in London ?
Best Rgds

I can recommend Brick Lane, Broadway (Hackney), Camden Lock, Camden Passage in Islington, Roman Road (Mile End) and Maltby Street Market which is near to Borough Market. There are dozens of them which you can find by googling London Markets. Most are good for people watching and street photography.

Mike
www.macfilos.com

Back