Street Street photography (Image thread)

Here's one to get things started:

picture.php

5th Ave, NY. Ricoh GX100

A really nice collection of photographs is building in here and it's great to see the variety that makes up street photography, too.

Wouter, I appreciate so much the way yours shows a fleeting moment and your eye for the movement, the lines, repetitive shapes and strong textures. I'd be really interested to know which camera and lens you used for this one. How many times have most of us been in a similar environment and missed the beauty before us.

christilou, you really nailed the expressions on the two faces of those men and the camera angle you shot from with the bettor's back facing us and his face, while not showing we can still sense his vulnerability. I'm guessing you were holding the camera down low or had knelt down to take it?

Here's one of my favorites. A photograph taken on a cold winter evening in Jaipur, India, with a Canon PowerShot A640 at ISO 400, hand held. I think the heavy grain (I'd call it grain in this case), almost fog-like, helped to accentuate the effect of a cold evening.

jaipur-cyclerickshawatdusk.jpg

I'll call it grain, too, and I agree it works well. My only wish is that I could see this photograph in a larger form. Is it on your Flickr stream, which I've just accessed, by the way.;)

Wouter, I appreciate so much the way yours shows a fleeting moment and your eye for the movement, the lines, repetitive shapes and strong textures. I'd be really interested to know which camera and lens you used for this one. How many times have most of us been in a similar environment and missed the beauty before us.

I took the photograph with a Ricoh GX200 set at (I think) 35 mm. I do however believe that the camera is not really relevant. For me the camera I feel most comfortable with and can rely on is the one that will serve me best. It is all about observing, taking the time. We all act in patterns. The split second is when everything comes together, but it doesn't happen once. It happens all the time.

BBW, thanks for your kind words. The size I posted here is the largest version I optimised for the web. It's on my Jaipur photoblog and not on Flickr.

I'll call it grain, too, and I agree it works well. My only wish is that I could see this photograph in a larger form. Is it on your Flickr stream, which I've just accessed, by the way.;)

... I do however believe that the camera is not really relevant. For me the camera I feel most comfortable with and can rely on is the one that will serve me best. It is all about observing, taking the time. We all act in patterns. The split second is when everything comes together, but it doesn't happen once. It happens all the time.
Wouter, I agree with you about the camera, perhaps it is better if we don't always know. Interesting observations regarding us all acting in patterns, and the coming together in a split second. Thank you for your thought provoking comments. I find them quite inspiring.

Mayank, thanks for pointing me in the right direction towards your jaipur blog!

Back