The new Nikon Df is beautiful

The first time I was ever introduced to this place called New Jersey was when I went to see the film 'Cop Land' starring Sylvester Stallone many years ago. I remember watching the 'making of' special on TV too and the way they described New Jersey didn't really make it sound like it was a privileged suburb.

[apologies for taking this thread far afield of its intent]

I don't know what this means.

I grew up under the impression that Australia was a penal colony of the British Empire.

The first time I was ever introduced to this place called New Jersey was when I went to see the film 'Cop Land' starring Sylvester Stallone many years ago. I remember watching the 'making of' special on TV too and the way they described New Jersey didn't really make it sound like it was a privileged suburb.

Like any other place, there are parts of New Jersey to stay away from and parts to enjoy and cherish. Cop Land was the former.

I grew up under the impression that Australia was a penal colony of the British Empire.

Like any other place, there are parts of New Jersey to stay away from and parts to enjoy and cherish. Cop Land was the former.

Australia was indeed a penal colony but it would be remiss to generalise an entire country based on this. A single suburb though ... there are rough neighbourhoods/suburbs with very little to enjoy and cherish.

My earlier comment about NJ was more of a dead pan comment in jest.

New Jersey has a bad reputation and small (but heavily populated) parts of the state probably deserve it, but there are large parts of Joisey that are very very nice. We go out to the shore there almost every summer and it's wonderful. I didn't get that, having grown up out in the desert southwest, where we only heard bad things about the place. But my wife grew up going to the beach there and she took me when we were young adults and I fell it love with the place too.

There are crummy parts of every state or country I've ever been to, and nice parts as well. Jersey, on the whole, doesn't deserve it's bad reputation. There are many places there I'd happily live if I didn't live right across the river from it...

And a lot of camera companies seem to have offices and repair facilities there, which isn't a BAD thing...

-Ray

Australia was indeed a penal colony but it would be remiss to generalise an entire country based on this. A single suburb though ... there are rough neighbourhoods/suburbs with very little to enjoy and cherish.

My earlier comment about NJ was more of a dead pan comment in jest.

I was trying to deadpan your deadpan, but I guess that didn't work out so well. Lets call the whole thing off.

All Snooki's fault!

Snooki designed the Df??!!

In this part of the world, new jersey is what I might get for Christmas...

That said, I saw the Rat Pack Christmas Show at the theatre last night, so I *think* I understand some of your banter!

Glad we are all gettin' along :cool:

Sent from another Galaxy

I purchased a lightly used Df off the FM forum and it arrived today. It's in no way compact. But I really like what Nikon has done with this camera. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Holy COW! I just assumed it WAS compact. I decided to plug in my fave "serious compact" (the X100) which I also would NEVER describe as compact......it looks like a toy compared to the Nikon.... Compare camera dimensions side by side

I more often compare it to the X-Pro, which was my favorite "compact" for a couple of years. And THAT comparison doesn't look bad at all for the Nikon:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

And I use prime lenses for the Df that tend to actually be SMALLER than most of Fuji's excellent prime lenses, so the overall difference just doesn't end up mattering much. Compared to a GR or Nikon A or RX100, yeah, they're huge. But so's anything else. And compared to the GM1 with a 14mm f2.5, they're still pretty big. But compared to an EM1 with a 42.5 Pana-Lecia or an X-Pro 1 with a Fuji 23 or 56, not such a big difference. Unless you get into high quality full frame Nikon or Canon zooms, in which case, yeah, you're carrying a damn bazooka around... But I don't do that, so I still count it as compact-ish... I'm going into Philly today with the Df, a couple of primes, and the Nikon A, and it's all going in an Ona Bowery, which is my acid test. Anything I can fit in an Ona Bowery or even a Turnstyle 10 I don't mind carrying all day...

I don't think the Df is a particularly beautiful camera, though, getting back to the initial subject of the thread. The silver one looks downright cartoonish to me - my black version mitigates that but only to a point....

-Ray

I don't think the Df is a particularly beautiful camera, though, getting back to the initial subject of the thread. The silver one looks downright cartoonish to me - my black version mitigates that but only to a point....

-Ray

Hey now....don't take Ray's word for everything!
I happen to think that my silver Df is just as gorgeous as my old silver x100 was....:tongue:

Disclaimer: I'm a biased silver Df owner...:D

11157042355_f86b9bb6a0.jpg
My Nikon Dƒ Side-by-Side With My Fuji X100 by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

LoL! :tongue:
Actually, size isn't an issue for me at the moment. I just retired from 24yrs of military service last year & I'm still in good shape. I keep up on my exercise & training & if I'm blessed, I hope to look half as good as this 60+ year old individual when I hit 60 ;) (which is in 10 years)....

8346-robert-irby-9_final.jpg

Maybe, maybe not:)
Compare camera dimensions side by side

Much better looking one:) Canon rumors is saying Canon will be making smaller dslr cameras, don't know why! All the big bazookas are coming in Canikon mount:
Sigma announces two 150-600mm F/5-6.3 DG OS HSM zooms

Back