The new Nikon Df is beautiful

From dpreview, Nikon DF, an oversized F3:
For a camera aimed so squarely at lovers of 'traditional' photography, it is a shame though that the Df's focusing screen is fixed and cannot be replaced by a split prism for manual focusing.

I've read all the "nays" in this thread, and must add my "yea"! I've not seen the E-m5 in person, but was thrilled when it was announced. I had been wanting the OM-1 in digital. The E-m5 wasn't it, to my specs. But the Nikon, at a glance, looks to strike that balance of the fine photographic machinery of old, with the practicality of the digital. Only one thing stops me from owning this "new/old" camera, with a "nifty fifty" attached. Lack of resources.

No split focusing screen option

From dpreview, Nikon DF, an oversized F3:

For a camera aimed so squarely at lovers of 'traditional' photography, it is a shame though that the Df's focusing screen is fixed and cannot be replaced by a split prism for manual focusing.

To this statement: I have to totally agree

I like the black one. I normally like silver, but this one doesn't work as well for me. They should just stick a sensor and an LCD on a traditional body with only manual control and see how it does. The right price and i bet you'd have a viable market.

Joe McNally didn't really tell me much (or show me much) about what it's like to use the camera. I learned a lot about Joe, and very little about the Df, except the well-documented loud shutter clack.

He also wasn't convincing that he really liked the camera. To me, he came across as someone who is a real Nikon supporter, and felt he needed to find something good to say about it. He even referred to it as "lightish" as in "is this relatively unobtrusive lightish camera going to keep up with me in the field" starting at about 3:15. Hardly a recommendation as a field camera.

Another comment "so, that was like another moment. <snaps fingers> OK, this is working"

"adequate" is what comes across to me in his review.

Joe McNally didn't really tell me much (or show me much) about what it's like to use the camera. I learned a lot about Joe, and very little about the Df, except the well-documented loud shutter clack.

He seemed strangely reluctant to talk about the camera. Must not like it very much.

It should be really easy to make a straight-forward positive endorsement video of a camera like that. Either they're letting the "art direction" get in the way of the message, or ... they're having trouble getting people to say the right things without literally scripting it out for them.

well, it's a curious choice to use him anyway.
Isn't he known for always using the latest and greatest modern stuff? Programming those complicated flash setups and all that computerized voodoo that I'll never understand? :)
He's the last one I'd imagine asking for a "low-tech" camera...

If indeed Nikon took 4 years to create this camera than all I can say is they are far too conservative. They need to pick up the pace and innovate a little bit - the camera market is changing. A super-retro DSLR will only go so far.

McNally was reading a script. Most of his Nikon endorsements are about him, not the camera. Nothing new here.

The Nikon folk are going to bash this camera severely.... and then buy it anyway. Compared to the dozens of black lumps on the shelves in the stores, this one will get attention. Just like the silver EM5 and Silver EX1 do.

I hope this camera does really well. I like cameras with tactile controls that I can read without a screen. And I think Nikon is brave being the first major to try this. People on forums have being bitching about "paying for video, I'll never use" since the D90. Now watch the same bunch bitch that we're paying more for less features.

If I were a Nikon shooter, I'd be all over this. It'd look cool shooting this at a wedding. Plus I like pretty cameras. That's almost exclusively what makes me buy them in the first place.

Gordon

Ming Thein's got some good thoughts on the DF Retro for the sake of retro: thoughts on the Nikon Df

He's entitled to his thoughts but I (who has also not handled the camera and who is also taking a wild wild guess) have to dissagree. It's pretty simple. Nikon is making a camera that is a desirable object. If that makes people buy it, it's good for Nikon. If that makes people want to shoot more, that's good for photography. And if it makes them happy doing it, it's good for their souls.

All good.

Gordon

I saw the Nikon Df today at my trusted camera shop. Herewith a comparison between the x-pro and the Df. I was able to hold it and try it a few minutes. My apologies for the comparison shots. They were taken with my iphone and I could not get a good angle and lighting. But you'll get the idea.

First impressions:
1. surprisingly lightweight, also with the new 58mm 1.4 lens. There is a lot of rubber, so the x-pro1 feels more sturdy. The camera looks much bigger than the x-pro1 but it does not feel bigger.
2. shutter sound: very acceptable. Not like the D800. You hear it but it's not disturbing.
3. handling: it feels very comfortable in the hand (better than the x-pro with grip). The grip is tiny though. Controls are intuitive. Changing shutter speed and PASM settings can be done without taking your eye of the viewfinder. Changing ISO and exposure compensation cannot.
4. The big button on the right front side of the camera (next to the Df sign) is actually a wheel to choose aperture. I prefer aperture on the lens
5. AF muuuuuuuuch faster than the x-pro and less noisy. Very snappy. But I would not expect anything less for a D4 in a smaller body.
6. Viewfinder: mmmah.
7. Looks: a matter of personal taste. I'm not sure yet.

Is it a "serious compact"? Don't know but it definitely is a lot smaller and lighter than the Nikon D800. To me this camera is a serious alternative for the x-pro1. But then again, the A7/A7R is an alternative as well.

BTW: the 58mm looks like a fantastic lens with a surprisingly low weight.

View attachment 79825

p437695562-5.jpg

p471773496-5.jpg

]View attachment 79826

Back