Animals Show "Horses"

I am so sorry to read and see how badly your horse was injured! I certainly hope that he or she is going to be OK! Your processing is very intense in some and worked out really well. It's good to see a few happy looking images of your beautiful horse. Please let us know how things go. I will certainly be hoping for good news.

flysurfer, please stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum and say hello and tell us a little about yourself. Many thanks for your involvement!

Yep, self-inflicted injury after biting open his first post-op wound after successfully removing a splint bone, resulting in degenerative arthritis. After 10 weeks he's not looking so bad, though it would be a major miracle if anyone could ever ride on him again. But he can still have a happy life in his herd. I basically bought him to save him from his previous owner, who wanted to get rid of him.

He's beautiful and so are your girls. How wonderful that you were able to save him. Please keep us apprised of his recovery - and I hope to see more of all of your horses. I loved my own horses from many years ago.

Your processing is very intense in some and worked out really well.

Yep, this is obviously a very personal project that I usually do not present in photography forums. Hence the processing entirely reflect my personal feelings here. This is as far away from any detached commissioned project as it gets. Sometimes it was a bit like taking pictures of your own child while it receives a life-or-death operation with bleak chances of survival or recovery. It all started out as a totally routine thing, but for whatever reason I had a pretty bad feeling about all of it and, trusting my intuition (while at the same time hoping to be wrong) decided to document the whole ordeal with my then new X100.

I'm glad you did things the way you did and one can feel the concern and fear...but I'm also relieved for the follow up photos showing him in his better days and that you do feel he is going to be OK.

The more I do of my own photography the more I feel compelled to allowing my own personal feelings show through more intensely. I appreciate your sharing these with us very much.

A girl and a horse

Statue at the Fountain Hills Park with various versions

DSC08446.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC08446-1.JPG

DSC08446-2.JPG

Lovely statue and well captured. If I were pressed to pick my favourite treatment I'd opt for #2 - the 'straight' B+W...not sure whether you used a light selenium tint or not hence why I'm hesitant to call it 'straight'...but by-the-by, nicely done.

after

Lovely statue and well captured. If I were pressed to pick my favourite treatment I'd opt for #2 - the 'straight' B+W...not sure whether you used a light selenium tint or not hence why I'm hesitant to call it 'straight'...but by-the-by, nicely done.

The first is the original, the second and third were done in post production.

I redid them a bit, tried to bring out the dark areas a bit.

DSC08446-13.JPG

DSC08446-11.JPG

DSC08446-12.JPG

Well the 2nd, or 1st of the PPs, is my preferred. On closer inspection I think I know why, the 'selenium' brings out the toning of the horse v dress v hair (girl's)
a lot stronger than the sepia.

Well mate if that's the work of a novice then I'm impressed. Great treatment the both, just voicing a preference for the former.....looking forward to seeing more as you 'progress'! (y)

Back