Micro 4/3 Panasonic Lumix GM1 Anybody?

Initially, I ignored this camera as it seemed too much like an entry level m43 camera, "purse sized" to boot. But then I read a review by Andrew Reid of EOSHD, who said that the video quality at ISO 3200 is even better than the GH3! That hit me like a thunderbolt, as I try to avoid raising the GH3 ISO to anything higher than 1600. Since then, I've been trawling the net to see what others say about the GM1.

A GM1 with a set of pancakes or other small lenses could be an very flexible travel combination. Lenses like the Oly 12/2, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, Panasonic 14/2.5, 15/1.8, 20/1.7, and maybe the Voigtlander 25/0.95, could be very useful.

A person could pair a Ricoh GR and the 21mm adapter with the GM1 and the 17/1.8 and 45/1.8, and have pair of cameras that weigh next to nothing and yet cover most day to day or travel situations. The video quality of the GM1 means you could leave the Oly 17/1.8 or Pana 15/1.7 on it and handle very low light video in a pocket sized camera.

The potential for this camera appeals to me greatly, as I am becoming increasingly tired of a chunky bag of heavy gear on my shoulder every day. Even a Leica M9 and a few primes is darn heavy if you're walking around with it in a messenger bag. Ditto for an EM-5. I just bought the new Lowepro Streamline 250 in an attempt to force myself to carry smaller and lighter cameras, and the GM1 seems perfect for this setup.

We shall see what coming months will bring!

So far after a couple weeks of use and trying everything I can, I have not been able to get videos to adjust to lighting conditions. All of the little cameras I have had do that automatically, but not the GM1. In dim light, the videos are very dark. I've tried other than 'P' on the dial to no avail. In strong lighting the videos are perfect.

So far after a couple weeks of use and trying everything I can, I have not been able to get videos to adjust to lighting conditions. All of the little cameras I have had do that automatically, but not the GM1. In dim light, the videos are very dark. I've tried other than 'P' on the dial to no avail. In strong lighting the videos are perfect.

Have you checked if you have the ISO on auto or max limited?

I've got a rental GM1, and I'm loving it so far in spite of the challenging ergonomics due to its size. I totally see the GM1in my bag after the rental period is over. If and when Panasonic delivers the 15/1.7 ... wow ... we could have the best ever IQ-volume ratio of an interchangeable lens camera!!

In dim light, the videos are very dark. I've tried other than 'P' on the dial to no avail.

Hey man, you got some user error going on. My advice: Switch over to movie mode on the dial and...

1. Your display will accurately represent the exposure. And then...
2. You can then manually adjust the fstop, shutter speed, and ISO for whatever exposure you demand.

MANUAL. Shoot video using manual settings. Control the light. That's the shooter's job.

Now, if you want to shoot and let the camera do that job, just make sure your exposure compensation meter is balanced and you'll be fine. RTM. Good luck!

With m43, you can use a smaller aperture to get similar DoF to the Nikon 1, so that partially negates the faster shutter speed of the Nikon 1 for comparative purposes.

That doesn't make 1/16000s unimpressive, though.

Except that 32/1.2 has exactly the same DOF as 45/1.8 on Micro 4/3. And good luck shooting at 1/4000, ISO 200 and f/1.8 on a sunny day — more likely you will have to stop down to f/2.8 or even f/4 to avoid overexposing.

Hey man, you got some user error going on. My advice: Switch over to movie mode on the dial and... 1. Your display will accurately represent the exposure. And then... 2. You can then manually adjust the fstop, shutter speed, and ISO for whatever exposure you demand. MANUAL. Shoot video using manual settings. Control the light. That's the shooter's job. Now, if you want to shoot and let the camera do that job, just make sure your exposure compensation meter is balanced and you'll be fine. RTM. Good luck!

I have no interest in pro-quality videos. I just want as good as my other $200 digicams do automatically in low light, and despite trying the mode dial and other things you mentioned (except for manual settings, which make no sense on a camera like the GM1), it just doesn't work.

I have about 30 replies on several forums so far, and the one constant is, nobody wants to admit that the GM1 just can't do low-light video automatically like an average $200 digicam.

I expect to get more replies that don't address the issue, and instead make diversionary suggestions to use another camera. But, if the GM1 can't adjust to low light for video, then someone should step up to the plate and admit it.

I have no interest in pro-quality videos. I just want as good as my other $200 digicams do automatically in low light, and despite trying the mode dial and other things you mentioned (except for manual settings, which make no sense on a camera like the GM1), it just doesn't work.

I have about 30 replies on several forums so far, and the one constant is, nobody wants to admit that the GM1 just can't do low-light video automatically like an average $200 digicam.

It would be very peculiar if it did not. Even the GH3 and GX7 will fully automate video shooting if you press the red Record button, as opposed to turning the mode dial to video. I sometimes do this for non-work related video and it turns out well on the GH3. For the GM1 to not have this ability would be mystifying. Wish I could tell you myself!

It would be very peculiar if it did not. Even the GH3 and GX7 will fully automate video shooting if you press the red Record button, as opposed to turning the mode dial to video. I sometimes do this for non-work related video and it turns out well on the GH3. For the GM1 to not have this ability would be mystifying. Wish I could tell you myself!

It is most peculiar. I've tried everything, and read the manual backward and forward looking for a clue. But the still photos are marvelous, so I don't suspect a defect. Maybe a firmware upgrade will fix it.

I just shot (automatic) low light video with the GM1 for a documentary I'm making. It worked fine. Better than fine. It worked great. My guess is you may have initiated some feature that's messing up the exposure. Try reseting the cam and see what it does when in the initial default mode.

But really, try to shoot manual, man. It's easy and so much more productive. Good luck!

It's a nice idea and looks good and it's quite an achievement squeezing all that into a tiny body. But I can't see it as anyone's one and only camera and it's $750.

This is the CSC problem - too many are far to expensive relative to the DSLR's they are trying to compete against and whose market share they need to eat into if they are to succeed. Of course if your DSLR competition is selling ten times as many cameras it's going to have an impact on pricing, but CSC makers are going to have to take a hit in order to compete on price against the established brands.

Right now, high end compacts, low-mid range DSLRs and low-mid range CSC's are all competing in the same price bracket. It's a tough place to be.

That said CSC's are doing better in the Asian market, which is already the biggest and fastest growing market, and where smaller is more appreciated. So perhaps Panasonic's real target with the camera is that market rather than those of us in the US and European markets with our penchant for big, clunky, safe cameras.

I have the little devil, one of those little cameras after the Ricoh style all configuration and fun. I think that if anyone had a good close look at what this camera offered they would have another look at their big clunky safe cameras carried about in big clunky safe vehicles. This little camera is not a pocket camera as the first take on its size might suggest - it is a pocket rocket.

Just out of morbid curiosity I have attached it to an Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4 M42 mount lens via a new RJ M42M4/s focal reducer. According to my calculations this is a 77mm f1.0 equivalent. And it all weighs in at 651 gms - most of this is the "clunky" lens.

Tom

Still tempted to get a GM1 as a pocket/fun/backup addition to the m43 system. The thought of a GM1 with a few primes like the Panasonic 14/2.5, Olympus 17/1.8 and 45/1.8 is quite intriguing. It would fit with my desire for the best video quality in the smallest hybrid camera, too. We shall see.

I've just been talking about maybe getting the GM1 with a 45mm (and later a 17mm) to compliment my Ricoh GR. Can anyone confirm how auto ISO works? Can you set min shutter speed?

There is no setup for min shutter speed w/ m43 cameras. The min shutter is 1/100sec for 45mm and 1/60 for shorter (wider) lengths. So I ended up w/ S priority when I took the shots of Chinese new year at the mall.

I've just been talking about maybe getting the GM1 with a 45mm (and later a 17mm) to compliment my Ricoh GR. Can anyone confirm how auto ISO works? Can you set min shutter speed?

Philippine Team "Gilas" vs NBA stars at the Araneta Coliseum. Unfortunately there was no game, only practice drill and exhibition. I was able to use my GM1 + 20 + 35-100. The 20 was important for those tight shots with the NBA stars. The limitations of electronic shutter played a factor. I got some photos at high shutter speed (above 1/500 where electronic shutter automatically engages) that revealed banding under mixed lighting inside the coliseum. Was also very limited in my position and framing, where various obstructions were present. But overall, I am still satisfied on how this little camera managed to get in the arena, and performed amidst the swarm of Canons and Nikons all around sporting 70-200 and some super telephoto lenses. Thanks to GM1 and the MFT system, I think I would have met some problems bringing in the GH3, all the more a DSLR. And 35-100 was just useful in this type of shoot, imagine if it was a 70-200 2.8, I don't have a clue how to hide it. :D

Here are some of my poor attempts:

Air Elite Dunkers (Exhibition):
_1000562_NBA_072014.jpg

_1000572_NBA_072014.jpg

_1000556_NBA_072014.jpg

_1000542_NBA_072014.jpg

Japeth Aguilar (Philippines, Gilas Team):
_1000594_NBA_072014.jpg

DeMar DeRozan over Kyle Lowry (NBA):
_1000606_NBA_072014.jpg

Terrence Ross (Slam Dunk Champion, NBA):
_1000599_NBA_072014.jpg