Sony Showcase Sony A7 and 7r Image thread

Spitalfields in London. Must say I am beginning to like the FE24-70 - especially the OSS - with the A7r. This was shot at 1/40 and f4 and certainly in the centre is very sharp.

_DSC0068-Edit-2.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fat pixels (A7S) and the Elmarit 90/2.8. Quite a challenge to get the focus spot on - which it is in the first photograph and only slightly out in the second. That said I think the second has more character even if it isn't pixel perfect.

_DSC1184.JPG

_DSC1190.JPG

Fat pixels (A7S) and the Elmarit 90/2.8. Quite a challenge to get the focus spot on - which it is in the first photograph and only slightly out in the second. That said I think the second has more character even if it isn't pixel perfect.

_DSC1184.JPG

_DSC1190.JPG

Oddly (and I'm not sure why) I find slightly OOF full frame shots to be not as jarring as OOF shots from smaller sensors.

nice cat!

Usually I find the rf lenses easier to mf with their shorter mf throw compared to slr lenses. With Contarex CZ 50mm planar:

original.jpg

original.jpg

First samples from the new Sony FE 2.9/90 Macro G OSS lens that I purchased yesterday.

NOTE: in each one of the samples you can click through to a full-sized jpeg. These may take some time to load.

Nice colours

f2.8 iso200
_DSC0027.JPG

Not too sure about the bokeh in this one. A bit too swirly, I think.

f2.8 iso200
_DSC0050.JPG

The main purpose for including the next shot is to demonstrate the incredible sharpness of this lens. Take a look at the passenger on the top deck of the bus in full size mode.

f8 iso320
_DSC0058.JPG

This is where it gets really interesting. Take a look at the full size of this image and at the face of the performers in the next two photographs. Considering this is wide open I think it is pretty damn good.

f2.8 iso400

_DSC0071.JPG

f2.8 iso400

_DSC0076.JPG

An example for landscape purposes. Lots of detail even up to the edges (you can see how the pigeons on the left have found a convenient place to shelter).

f8 iso64

_DSC0088.JPG

I took this final one in manual focus mode focused on the knot of shanks at a relatively slow speed. I think it demonstrates how easy it is to manually focus the lens and also the value of inbuilt OSS stabilisation.

f8 iso400 1/50

_DSC0113.JPG

Bottom line, this is a very sharp lens, with very nice colouration. It compliments my A7R very well and I suspect it will also be very good on the upcoming A7RII. The AF to Manual override is very well thought out, you pull back the focus ring and it engages the distance scale. The scale itself is not only very clear but shows both the distance and the macro magnification factor (e.g. 1:1, 1:2 etc). The focus throw is large and very accommodating for macro purposes. The focus is very smooth but in my opinion not stiff enough. This means it is easy to overshoot your target but I expect with practise I will become more accurate. Viewfinder magnification and focus peaking are automatically engaged when manually focussing (although the magnification is a preference set in the camera and can be turned off).

From these samples I cannot fault the image quality, the colouration or the ergonomics of the lens. But beware it is a very big object and will take up the space equivalent to a large zoom lens in your camera bag.

LouisB

PS Quick addendum of a not very good shot taken on my desk of a size comparison between the 90, 24-70 and 55 FE lenses. I told you. It is a BIG lens. I can't believe how it dwarfs the 24-70 which I consider to be a big lens.

_DSC0001-2-2.JPG

Nice colour and contrast. The Foxglove pic, yes a little swirly but I don't think it's as intrusive as some I could mention! Very nice set. I'm thinking about trading the A7R for A7II for the IBIS and quieter shutter. A7RII is too expensive for me!

Nice colour and contrast. The Foxglove pic, yes a little swirly but I don't think it's as intrusive as some I could mention! Very nice set. I'm thinking about trading the A7R for A7II for the IBIS and quieter shutter. A7RII is too expensive for me!

Thanks. I would wait a little. After the main demand slows down, early next year I reckon the price will drop significantly, just like the A7R which can be bought (relatively) for peanuts, now. I actually bought my A7R s/h for a knock-down price. It serves me well but I would like the better high-iso performance of the A7RII.

I thought I would put some more samples in this thread of macro photography using new Sony FE 90/2.8

The more I use the lens the more I realise what a damn fine piece of kit it is. Sure, it is heavy but I have now understood the various feature a lot more. The focus limiter and the OSS are excellent and make hand held macro photography worthwhile.

I have mainly been using my A7S with the lens because hand held I can jack the iso up to 3200 and stop the lens down to f22 and get high speeds and good results. Once again the A7S proves why it is the high iso king.

I've done very little to these photos other than crop them in Lightroom and export them as jpeg.

I'm not saying any of these images are anything special but this is a lens which I feel will reward me over time the more I get used to it and once I settle down and (a) use a tripod which I really should do, and (b) invest in a flash of some kind. In the meantime... some bug piccies.

_DSC1892.JPG

_DSC1886.JPG

_DSC1911.JPG

_DSC1943.JPG

_DSC1914.JPG

_DSC1950.jpg

_DSC1986.JPG

Back