the Cemetery image thread....

Some from a few years ago. The first one is a 5 minute exposure in a VERY dark cemetery. The orange glow on things is from distant sodium vapor lamps.

6238325657_ff6ca9ac53_b.jpg

Cemetary at Night, Todmorden by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And these are from an abandoned pet cemetery (shades of Stephen King) that is actually in the middle of a disc golf course.

A random one for a cemetery near where I worked:

4038630808_cf7ba51fd8_b.jpg

Death Casts a Long Shadow... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And one that implies that all is not peaceful perhaps in the afterlife...

This thread will get so long so quick, I only left 2 for reference, but they're all marvelous. I wish we could go shooting cemeteries together! I've been blessed with two husbands who like to read the tombstones, so I always have all the time I want, but you have such a good eye!

Speaking of shades of Stephen King - "Tod morden" is German for "Death Murder." Count on that to jump out at me!

The pet cemetery ones are lovely and touching. I've heard of them, but never actually seen a pet cemetery.

"Death casts a long shadow" reminds me of one of the first pictures I took with my first, fixed focus camera - in a cemetery, golden foliage, low sunlight. So nice to see it done well!

I have a new "theme" going. I'm looking for markers that are also words, like "Work." So again, the same but different. It's so nice to fit in for a change!

This thread will get so long so quick, I only left 2 for reference, but they're all marvelous. I wish we could go shooting cemeteries together! I've been blessed with two husbands who like to read the tombstones, so I always have all the time I want, but you have such a good eye!

Speaking of shades of Stephen King - "Tod morden" is German for "Death Murder." Count on that to jump out at me!

The pet cemetery ones are lovely and touching. I've heard of them, but never actually seen a pet cemetery.

"Death casts a long shadow" reminds me of one of the first pictures I took with my first, fixed focus camera - in a cemetery, golden foliage, low sunlight. So nice to see it done well!

I have a new "theme" going. I'm looking for markers that are also words, like "Work." So again, the same but different. It's so nice to fit in for a change!

Thanks!

And just to take the thread a little further in the "dead" and "murder" direction, there is a place called "Sweeney's of Tod" in Todmorden, lol...

UK-2011-1-68.jpg

I posted this one in the thread I started for the specific cemetery on which I'm working a project, but thought it wouldn't hurt to cross post. Since the thread of the San Jose del El Rosario cemetery is so far along now, and as it is going to be a work in progress, I guess I'll leave it be, and put some here also. Decisions decisions.

_SDI0408-Edit-X2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've been looking to get a shot of these simple metal markers for some time, but could come up with nothing that demonstrated how touching I think they are. These two similar shots move me in the right direction, at any rate. They are taken from the back, which is where I stood when the shape of the memorials made struck me. Though they once held names or pictures, or both, that personal information has long since been lost, making them signs of the anonymous but once remembered, like most who have walked the earth at one time or another.

_SDI0390-2%20copy%20-X2.jpg

_SDI0389-2-X2.jpg

It certainly is, and perhaps that's some of them!

In a different cemetery nearby, we found the graves of the exact people we had found on the deeds of our house from the mid 1800s. Creepy.

Beautiful photo! These are slate, aren't they? I believe Lawrence A. mentioned slate being used in New England. Are these the backs of the markers, with the mason's marks visible, or the fronts, weathered to be illegible?

Lucille, you must have felt me thinking of you. We met my late husband's family for Thanksgiving at the fellowship hall of my brother-in-law's church, and I had a few minutes to explore the cemetery before dark. I saw the back of this tombstone and took a few photos, thinking, "I wonder if the woman who took those wonderful photos of the classic cars would be interested in this." So here it is!
Let me go on record as saying that I think that individualized headstones such as this are lovely tributes from loving family who understand how important the things depicted were to the deceased.

11217145244_90d46433a8_b.jpg

Headstone at St John's Lutheran Church, Stringtown Rd., Lohman Mo. by rubyj29, on Flickr

11217178464_4dd6d06034_b.jpg

Detail by rubyj29, on Flickr

Beautiful photo! These are slate, aren't they? I believe Lawrence A. mentioned slate being used in New England. Are these the backs of the markers, with the mason's marks visible, or the fronts, weathered to be illegible?

They are the backs. I was actually after the blue and green and shadow and light combo. I wasn't thinking about the actual markers at the time.

Here are some taken a while ago from the same cemetery. These are both from Revolutionary war veterans.

11219754833_038a4ecee2_c.jpg

20091231-20091231-IMG_1666 by wt2100, on Flickr

11219633765_0a960621e0_c.jpg

20091231-20091231-IMG_1663 by wt2100, on Flickr

"They prefer to live in the cemetery" Joan Manuel Baliellas
Google Translate
The differences between Western culture and Eastern were one of the main incentives for Joan Manuel Baliellas decided to settle in Bangkok. The former chief photographer for The World in Barcelona worked for two years in Southeast Asia as a stringer for AFP, covering almost the entire subcontinent. In his spare time he tried on his own and in greater depth issues such as the Manila North Cemetery a singular inhabited cemetery, a city within a city. Baliellas portrayed a peaceful, very different to everyday life that permeates the streets of the Philippine capital.

So interesting and so much more "inclusive".

I've always enjoyed graveyards, as I call them. Used to live nearby one in my college days of yore.

I really like your picture, serhan.

Back