the Cemetery image thread....

Lucille

Veteran
Cemetery's can be interesting, I don't know why, but I love shooting them..........

If anybody else does, please contribute to this thread...

Here are a few from Wagon Mound NM.

1118-1.jpg

1114-3.jpg

Hi BB.....I find the image of the cemetary rather dreary..I know you are making the effort to make it deadly with HDR but honestly, I really don't care for HDR but I did see it on your flicker in colour and I thought it was much better!!

I love cemeteries. Parenthetically, so do birders - often in an urban environment, the cemeteries will be the best places to go bird watching.
I know I'm garrulous but I'd say at least 3/4 of my earlier photos are about the "why" not about the photo itself. I'm going to start off with this one from Pinckneyville, Perry County, IL. Civil War graves aren't uncommon in So. IL but neither are they common. Generally, enlisted men were buried on or near the battlefield, and only officers' bodies were transported home for burial, so when I saw several graves together of soldiers who all fell on the same date, I took a photo of one as a quick note. It turns out this was the date of the fall of Fort Donelson, the Union victory where Grant earned his nickname of "Unconditional Surrender" Grant. http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/This Day/thisday0216.htm

11192616945_a360d48fd5_b.jpg

Pinckneyville, Perry County, IL by rubyj29, on Flickr

Like Arnold, I'll be back!

Hi BB.....I find the image of the cemetary rather dreary..I know you are making the effort to make it deadly with HDR but honestly, I really don't care for HDR but I did see it on your flicker in colour and I thought it was much better!!

Nope, no HDR my friend. Just Silver Efex. I'm glad you liked the color version.:D

Good to see you here my old pal - and sorry to have been so out of touch!:redface:

Lucille: great images and a great idea. Maybe I should move my San Jose cemetery shots here -- as long as it doesn't mean reposting it all. I'm so fascinated by the place that photographing it has become a long term project, even if not a very systematic one.

Thanks for your shots and for starting the thread.

Some from a few years ago. The first one is a 5 minute exposure in a VERY dark cemetery. The orange glow on things is from distant sodium vapor lamps.

6238325657_ff6ca9ac53_b.jpg

Cemetary at Night, Todmorden by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

6241652760_da761f185b_b.jpg

Cemetary, Old Lumbutts Methodist, Todmorden, UK by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And these are from an abandoned pet cemetery (shades of Stephen King) that is actually in the middle of a disc golf course.

6968145528_0eb57da925_b.jpg

Pet Cemetary: Poopsie by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

6968146618_68258022c8_b.jpg

Pet Cemetary: Pretty Girl by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

A random one for a cemetery near where I worked:

4038630808_cf7ba51fd8_b.jpg

Death Casts a Long Shadow... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And one that implies that all is not peaceful perhaps in the afterlife...

7436793872_20b7752193_b.jpg

No Peace In Death?... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

I like going to cemeteries, and have often taken photos there. They tend to be calm places; their beauty, on the other hand, varies tremendously. Salzburg's cemeteries, for example, are one of the main touristical attractions of the city. I shall try to find some of the pictures I took there, in the days BDP (Before Digital Photography). Cemeteries also offer a glimpse of the past, even if only the so-called "petite histoire". A few years ago, I was surprised to find the stones of buried Portuguese and Spanish sailors in a very small Welsh cemetery, not far from Aberystwyth and Aberaeron.
Until the mid-nineteenth century, portuguese people were usually buried in or around churches (in for the illustrious and important, around for the commoners). A law then instituted the cemeteries, and the interdiction of burial in churches. This gave rise to a strong movement of popular revolt, but in the end it was accepted. Nowadays land for cemeteries is limited, especially in the big cities, and a lot of people opt for cremation.
@Ripleysbaby: I at once thought your picture depicted Glasgow Necropolis. I have been only once to Glasgow, so I was happy to recognize it. The news of the helicopter crash in Glasgow, this week, were saddening.

Back