Micro 4/3 GM1 is SMALL (and impressive)!

Oly needs to get off their butts and make an answer to the GM1. And top it with phase detection and good tracking. I'll empty my wallet for that!!! Maybe even sacrifice my J1 too.

What a great thread... and wonderful images. The GM1 and 12-32 look to be such an awesome and exceptionally convenient pairing. Add in lenses like the 12/2, 15/1.7, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, 45/1.8... wow! Makes for such joyous image-making!

I'm surprised to see that the 12-32 provides such exceptional image quality for such a small and reasonably priced lens. That's REALLY great!

I have a GM5 and 12-32 on pre-order and viewing this thread makes the wait seem soooooo long. I've already sold my E-M5 and E-PL5 in favor of my most used body, the GX7. I do keep the E-P5 and VF-4 around for times when it seems most applicable. But really, having a GM1/GM5 body and a GX7 body seems like a pair of bodies that will meet nearly all of my m4/3 needs. The compactness of m4/3 remains the primary reason I keep the system around. The GM and GX bodies aim directly to this wonderful quality!

When I step up in body size, it is to gain more resolution and performance better suited to large wall prints. (When I say large, I mean 40+").

GM1, 15mm 1.7, 45mm 2.8:

xdayv_1030125_XNGNHK.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

xdayv_1020802_XNGNHK.jpg

xdayv_1020562_XNGNHK.jpg

xdayv_1020378_XNGNHK.jpg

xdayv_1020717_XNGNHK.jpg

xdayv_1030292_XNGNHK.jpg

xdayv_1030390_XNGNHK.jpg

xdayv_1020927_XNGNHK.jpg

xdayv_1020633_XNGNHK.jpg

xdayv_1030168_XNGNHK.jpg

xdayv_1030236_XNGNHK.jpg

The image with the person sitting painting - it shows colors and contrasts like the theoretical perfect Kodak Moment - but without any over-saturation or bleed - it just looks amazing.

So... are we all perfectly satisfied with the GM1 and have no need for the GM5? I think, for the GM1's intended use, I might be.

I've had it for less than a (cold) day but my first impression is that the GM1 is a point-and-shoot on steroids. It's not a camera for those that want traditional controls but may be fine for those willing to let the camera do some of the work. The revised rear dial of the GM5 may be the ticket for those that want more traditional controls, but the used prices for GM1s are hard to resist.

From a usability standpoint, I still prefer the Pentax Q and according to DXO and my limited experience the only place where it lags behind the GM1 is in low light. With enough light, the two cameras stand toe to toe.

I've had it for less than a (cold) day but my first impression is that the GM1 is a point-and-shoot on steroids. It's not a camera for those that want traditional controls but may be fine for those willing to let the camera do some of the work. The revised rear dial of the GM5 may be the ticket for those that want more traditional controls, but the used prices for GM1s are hard to resist.

From a usability standpoint, I still prefer the Pentax Q and according to DXO and my limited experience the only place where it lags behind the GM1 is in low light. With enough light, the two cameras stand toe to toe.

I agree with you completely. So it's good that I have both the GM1 and Q-S1. :). And both can be jacket pocketable.

Back