Micro 4/3 GM1 is SMALL (and impressive)!

Armanius

Bring Jack back!
Name
Jack
Panasonic GM1 is SMALL! When I made comparisons with the EPM2 in Camerasize.com, I didn't think the GM1 was that small. Now that I am holding one, wow, it's REALLY small. The body of the GM1 is actually less wide and thinner in depth than the Sony RX100. I definitely need a grip for the GM1. Like the RX100, the buttons are too small for my fingers, and it requires careful use. However, unlike the RX100, it has a touch screen that can make one's life easier.

I rented the GM1 from LensRental, because I need a "silent" camera for some limited situations in my Paris/Rome trip. I also bought a Panasonic 45-150 lens that will serve as my only telephoto lens in the trip. I took some photos in the house with the GM1 set on "silent" and the 45-150 at full zoom (which is equivalent of 300mm). I was able to get sharp photos at 1/15 speed using the GM1's e-shutter and the OIS of the lens. That's impressive! And the ISO 3200 actually looks pretty good as well.

The multi-shot noise reduction feature (called handheld night shot by Panasonic) is pretty effective. IMO, it's more effective at reducing noise while keeping a good detail level than the Sony A7's multi-shot noise reduction. Strangely, I recall the Sony A55's multi-shot noise reduction as being more effective than the A7 (and RX100ii) as well.

No final verdict on the GM1 yet. But I really like it so far, and think it'll make a perfect compliment to the A7 for travel purposes.

No, no gm1 sucks, no more GAS:)

So how do you find the e-shutter, any problems w/ indoor lighting? I only use e-shutter w/ gx7 as I said. It is a good camera with small Oly/Pana primes. Hopefully Oly comes w/ that rumored small 25mm 1.8 lens next Feb so it can be small 50 also...

I shot mixed light w/ gx7 and only time I saw a problem was in NY Times Square w/ big lcd signs... Even that was in a few shots...

Pics with it? Or pics of it? How about pics of it (via iPhone camera)?

ImageUploadedBySeriousCompacts1386895431.500278.jpg

ImageUploadedBySeriousCompacts1386895444.149218.jpg

ImageUploadedBySeriousCompacts1386895456.167253.jpg

Hey Kyle! You can't control the minimum shutter speed. All you can control is max ISO limit.

The shutter speed that the GM1 picked, when using aperture priority, is weird. Using the 12-32 kit zoom, it just picks 1/60 no matter what, until you hit 32mm. Then it picks 1/80.

That sounds like Sony nex/A7(R) with min 1/60sec shutter until it reached to the further tele zoom. I used 12mm f2 w/ gx7 and it was doing the same (1/60sec min shutter) even though it has IBIS. I should test the Olympus cameras and see what they do with their IBIS. RX1 has 1/80sec with no evf+IBIS... Sony RX100 has 1/30sec which shows more movement in street shots w/ people...

The shutter speed that the GM1 picked, when using aperture priority, is weird. Using the 12-32 kit zoom, it just picks 1/60 no matter what, until you hit 32mm. Then it picks 1/80.

Hey Kyle! You can't control the minimum shutter speed. All you can control is max ISO limit.

Thanks a ton for the info! It was driving me nuts that I couldn't confirm this anywhere.

That sounds like Sony nex/A7(R) with min 1/60sec shutter until it reached to the further tele zoom. I used 12mm f2 w/ gx7 and it was doing the same (1/60sec min shutter) even though it has IBIS. I should test the Olympus cameras and see what they do with their IBIS. RX1 has 1/80sec with no evf+IBIS... Sony RX100 has 1/30sec which shows more movement in street shots w/ people...

Olympus cameras assume no IBIS for picking their minimum shutter speeds in Auto ISO.

Why on earth don't all cameras work that way??

Yeah, that would be nice, wouldn't it? :)

Some of the Nikons seem to be on the "cutting edge" of auto ISO implementation nowadays. Which is not all that cutting edge! They use the 1/EFL rule, and also allow user to adjust for faster or slower variations of the 1/EFL rule (Pentax K5 does too). Nikons also allow for setting of minimum shutter speed in addition to setting low and high ranges for auto ISO limits.

I know firmware can be tricky, but really, all that you said above, and the ability to use +/- EV in M mode with auto-ISO (in this case, the EV would adjust the ISO). Sheesh. How can they all not know this, lol.

I know firmware can be tricky, but really, all that you said above, and the ability to use +/- EV in M mode with auto-ISO (in this case, the EV would adjust the ISO). Sheesh. How can they all not know this, lol.

I really would love to know the reasoning on why most manufacturers have not provided more control for the user when it comes to auto-ISO. Or at least, use the 1/EFL rule. Surely it can't take up that much processing power in the camera!

Just got a used GM-1 today. I know many others have pointed this out already, but it is amazingly small, looks like my old Canon S100. It makes my E-M5 with the grip look like a giant DSLR, and the E-PL3, which was my former "Compact" m43, look oversized. Having the GX-7 sensor in it makes it a truly serious compact.

P8660472.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

wow.....that's crazy. The OMD is about as small as I'd ever want to go. I would think that how small-centric many here are that they'd all have one. I think many WANT small cameras until they start to use them. How are the ergos, Ed? Is it comfortable in use?

Luke - for my fairly small hands, the ergonomics of the GM-1 are pretty good. Of course, i had no problems using the Canon s100 as well, just for reference. I was specifically looking for a pocketable replacement for the S100, and was considering the Fuji XF-1 but decided to go with the GM-1 for the bigger, better quality GX-7 sensor. I think the GM-1 would definitely benefit from a grip, either the Flipbac or Franiec, but the minimalist controls are okay for someone like me who pretty much shoots on Aperture priiorty and just needs the EV compensation dial.

Back