Nikon Showcase Post Nikon Df Photos

I wonder if that tall structure has any prey-bird nests in it. I saw something very similar in Ohio that falcons were nesting in.

A nearly pancake lens for the Df

Seeing this photo reminds me of the things I have to get to on my little GM1 that aren't readily accessible, or require programmable buttons. The Df and GM1 have been no. 1 and 2 for a long time now at DPR. Somebody is paying attention. Reichmann at LL says the Fuji is still his favorite small camera, but that's a fixed lens. So there should be a new generation of cameras coming that borrow from the Df and GM1, odd as that may seem, to finally replace those fixed-lens cameras that I've had a couple of and ultimately gave up. I really liked my Coolpix 'A', but the fixed lens didn't do it for me - never mind the lack of external controls.

Throw it at it and it does it, without a sweat. Almost scary, this Df sensor. Oh and the AF whe compared to mirrorless cameras is a joy to use. Not faster than the newest generation mft, but it nails it, again, without a sweat. Some high iso shots up to 12800 with no noise reduction applied.

The drift back to DSLR's - I like that and I always expected it anyway

what does the Df do that the D610 cannot - or indeed in DX mode that the D300S/D7100 cannot

also what's it like with long Tele's

OK it's got the same (low light) sensor as the D4 but, it seems expensive? - so why not buy a D610 and save, a load of money?

I always used/use my old Nikkor F mount lens on my D300 and D7100 - they are easy to use, (focus confirm), and dial in, (using the menu) - is the Df supposed to be better or easier to use with MF glass than the D300/D700, D600, D610 and D800?

Can you put a catz-eye focusing screen on it? - i.e. can you change the focusing screens?

What's all the fuss about? - is it because it looks like my old FM or F3 and is smaller than the current range of Nikon bodies - I thought that it was the size of the D610, which is a little smaller than the D700/D300

- I just need educating as I'm a Nikon fan.

But I still long for a D4 - "proper" body!

"size does count"

I'll now go off and say 3 hail mary's and ask Nikon to forgive me for my outburst

The drift back to DSLR's - I like that and I always expected it anyway

what does the Df do that the D610 cannot - or indeed in DX mode that the D300S/D7100 cannot

also what's it like with long Tele's

OK it's got the same (low light) sensor as the D4 but, it seems expensive? - so why not buy a D610 and save, a load of money?

I always used/use my old Nikkor F mount lens on my D300 and D7100 - they are easy to use, (focus confirm), and dial in, (using the menu) - is the Df supposed to be better or easier to use with MF glass than the D300/D700, D600, D610 and D800?

Can you put a catz-eye focusing screen on it? - i.e. can you change the focusing screens?

What's all the fuss about? - is it because it looks like my old FM or F3 and is smaller than the current range of Nikon bodies - I thought that it was the size of the D610, which is a little smaller than the D700/D300

- I just need educating as I'm a Nikon fan.

But I still long for a D4 - "proper" body!

"size does count"

I'll now go off and say 3 hail mary's and ask Nikon to forgive me for my outburst
For me the sensor is almost the whole story, and the reason I'm likely buying a Df rather than a D610. It's both lower resolution and better in low light / high ISO. It enables me to comfortably use the cheaper "D" primes which I'm thinking might well start showing their warts on the higher resolution D610 and D800. You're right that the Df isn't much smaller than the D610 - I think it's almost the same size other than the smaller grip and just weighs slightly less. You can change the focussing screen - I've seen accounts of those who've done it, but I'm not sure who exactly is making replacement screens specifically for the Df.

Not sure about long teles - one of the biggest criticisms from longtime DSLR users is the lack of large grip as a detriment to using it with larger lenses. I don't have any desire to shoot with any large lenses and am staying with my m43 gear for long and ultra-wide, more because of the size of full frame teles than the lack of grip on the camera. I tried an 85mm on it briefly and I like the face detection focus accuracy of the EM1 more than what I could manage with the Df trying to focus on specific parts of the face.

I think clearly if your emphasis is on resolution you'd either spend about the same and max out with the D800 or you'd save some money and go for the D610. But if you're more interested in the low light capability of the D4 and want to shoot mostly with smaller older lenses, the Df becomes the way to get this sensor in a much less expensive body.

Your questions / concerns seem to be the crux of the criticisms from many longtime Nikon users who don't get the appeal of the Df. But most who've tried the Df seem to like it (going on the small but larger than here sample size of the DPR forums) and it's clearly pulling some people in who are NOT longtime Nikon users or even DSLR users. I'm a very good example of the latter - haven't shot with an SLR since the film days and this will be my first DSLR. But because of the size issues (the Df is the largest camera I've ever shot with but still not too large to feel comfortable) I only want one to shoot with a handful of small primes, and the Df seems a great choice for those lenses and gives me the tradeoffs that work for me. The looks I sort of prefer to the lump of plastic look of most modern DSLRs but is not a deal maker or breaker - I still think it's a basically ugly camera, just a bit less ugly than a lot of modern cameras. The "retro controls" don't do a thing for me - I pretty much never use two of the three dials on the top of the camera and I don't much like the location of the one (exposure comp) that I do use...

-Ray

What Ray said, plus for me the control dials suit my preferences. Again, using "D" lenses I can set up the camera for what I think I am about to shoot before even turning it on. If this sort of thing and the best low light sensor don't matter, then get a 610 or an 800.
I shoot a wide variety of subjects. You can see this on my Df365 day project where I am posting a new photo taken with the Df that same day for 365 days (God willing and if the creek don't don't rise). I have completed just over the first month. You can see it here; www.danwrayphoto.com/nikon-df/

Some Bangkok street: 28mm ais zone focused (as were all the others posted above), f8, min shutter speed 1/500, auto iso 12800.

Exactly the settings I'd use, except I've been shooting with a 24mm, rather than 28 thus far. I accidentally set it all the way open at f2.8 for some low light shooting (I meant to have it at about f4) and still got a frightening percentage of in-focus shots. I generally use a focus distance of about 2 meters and it just works for almost everything.

-Ray

To go a completely different (and less pleasant) direction, B&W of MORE and MORE and MORE snow.... Two shots taken about 15 minutes apart. This stuff was really pretty in December, but by now it's nothing but oppressive. And one of my wife, a teacher home on yet ANOTHER snow day, pushing her summer vacation back for more than a week at this point...

View attachment 85720
More snow-8-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 85721
More snow-3-2-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 85722
More snow-5-2-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

I wish it was something we rarely saw here in SE Pennsylvania Dan. At least this winter, snow and icicles have lost all of their charm. A few more this morning while the snow is still arguably pretty, before it all turns to overwhelming piles of grey slush...

12523604883_f7a203c4c1_b.jpg

More snow-13-Edit-2 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

12523974864_9e55a5f844_b.jpg

More snow-26-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 85824
More snow-61-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 85825
More snow-28-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 85826
More snow-72-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

Back