OS X Mavericks with "one free upgrade" announced

The point that I was making, really, was that Snow Leopard is a very useful OS to have. I have been trying to source an older Mac Mini over here (plenty around, but stupid prices) because I want a machine that still runs SL. My current mini does not.

You don't need an older Mac to run Snow Leopard. It'll run just fine on your current mini. Install parallels and run Snow Leopard in a window.

I know this, too. I happen to WANT a separate machine.

I prefer VMWare.

That was hard to tell since you said that you wanted an older machine since Snow Leopard wouldn't run on your current machine. If you want a separate machine then why does it matter or not if it runs on your current one?

im on 10.9.1 on a first gen retina mbp 15"
i upgraded right off the bat, i havent had any weirdness that i can think of
nothing feels slower or faster for me really, either

I've been using macs since 2004.

And i think their os was great up to snow leopard, everything that came after that, was just full of bells and whistles trying to make their computers work like an iphone or ipad. I had problems when installing new software or running old stuff ever since.

Im currently running mavericks, it seems to work fine or better than mountain lion to me, yet when it comes to install drivers for peripherals is nothing but headaches. In fact, installing a canon selphy printer a couple of weeks ago, involved in going to terminal and changing lines in the installer script...WTF? it was like a windows 95 sort of experience. I will personally stay away from any osx upgrade until all the software i need for work works fine.

Im using a MBP 15" i7 mid 2010 or 2011 with 8g ram, OWC SSD.

I've decided to delete all my responses with regard to why I might want Snow Leopard, and how I might achieve that. Its irrelevant and I don't even know why it became a discussion at all, and I am really sorry I even bought into it. A pity I cant do anything about the quotes.

No need to apologise and delete, Sue. I believe you had a good reason to bring it up. Upgrading for the sake of upgrading isn't always a good thing.

Peter

I've decided to delete all my responses with regard to why I might want Snow Leopard, and how I might achieve that. Its irrelevant and I don't even know why it became a discussion at all, and I am really sorry I even bought into it. A pity I cant do anything about the quotes.

I'm on a new MBP i7 16Gb on 10.9.2 and it is a dream. But as a precaution I have a small partition on my drive with Leopard installed on it in case I run into any problems. Been going 6 months so far without any though.
I'm most pleased that my CS3 illustrator will still load so that I can open and convert old Freehand files which CS6 can then work with.

If you are running any windows programs using the Parallels desk top application, just watch out as every time a new OS comes out the "old" Parallels application (may) need upgrading at a cost of £50 in the UK, maybe $50 in the States

I need a new iMac with more "crunch" but it looks like a new Ride on grass mower will take precedence - I'm not a happy man £1,500 + just to keep the lawn tidy!!!

If you are running any windows programs using the Parallels desk top application, just watch out as every time a new OS comes out the "old" Parallels application (may) need upgrading at a cost of £50 in the UK, maybe $50 in the States

I need a new iMac with more "crunch" but it looks like a new Ride on grass mower will take precedence - I'm not a happy man £1,500 + just to keep the lawn tidy!!!

I stopped at Parallels 6 and now use Virtualbox instead. It may not be as well featured as Parallels or VMware but it does me :) And, its all free.

As for a new Mac, I've upgraded my Mini RAM to 16GB, plan to add a couple of SSDs, but I secretly (or not so secretly) harbour a desire for a 13" macbook pro with a retina screen. (and the next iphone, and new flooring, and a new fridge, and someone to come and paint the interior of my house, and an extension and verandah at the back and side and split system or ducted a/c. really... on a pension... and want all that. ROFL!!!)

Back