pinhole photography discussion (and images)

ReD

Hall of Famer
On the road

I'm thinking I'll enlarge the hole in the card then cover & pierce to nearer the right size

I see fibres interefering at moment through the hole - but its quite amazing that I can see through the viewfinder as it is

By my calcs this should give me close to 35mm wideangle

View attachment 83825

No I have 70mm or close Focal length with about 0.4mm hole - yes the photo shows hole of about 1mm -

to get the 0.4 I use the tip of the tapered needle so its all guesswork
the card is about 1.2mm thick & now has a chamfered hole external with black insulating tape inside pinpricked - I may change this to foil but there is a bit of experiment to do

I used Pinhole Designer formulas

It'll be interesting to see your results.

I started a "proper" pinhole thread ages ago, in "Herman's Genres", but it never really took off. Perhaps people are not inclined to mix DIY and Digital ?

I think it's got to be worth banging out a few frames even with "incorrect" pinhoel diameters just to see what the results look like. In fact I might do that myself come to think of it. I've got a nice Zenit (M42) and some M42 macro choobs that I can use, if I can find them.

These guys will sell you nice acid-etched pinholes (at a nice price too of course) http://www.pinholesolutions.co.uk/pinhole_factory.html, by the way

Yes I have the M42 Chewbs too
8mm 16mm 32mm - pinhole mounted on middle size 16mm
gives me variation of Focal length 56mm 42deg /72mm 34 deg /104mm 23deg with exposure times are halved if I remove the 8mm & doubled if I use the 32mm

I need to check the pinhole for cleanliness & then its proof of the pudding

I just dug out the Zenith to have a play, and managed to find the tubes, but found "B" wasn't working; then I cocked it twice and the shutter broke. SO that little project's gone flying down the toilet almost as soon as I thought of it.

F (as the children say) FS ...

Can't offer anything myself but I often meet & hear of people that have old cameras given to them - met a student over xmas who had about 8 film cameras all of which were aspirational to me

Maybe you will get lucky

I got that one off Freecycle a couple of years ago for nothing so no great loss. Pity though as I liked the c'lack it made when it fired.

Funny this but note the white vignetting on the photo above - similar to my complaint on the Cosina C1 photos

Here is a scan of the negs from my Epson flatbed scanner - The negs are clear & a reversal shows no such vignetting

I conclude its down to my Veho Scanner

View attachment 83919

But you've got some lovely diffraction patterns (or what looks like diffraction patterns anyway) on the flatbed scan :D

In the centre frame, on the standing figure around the top of the thighs and lower-midriff, just above the child's head - some interesting swirly concentric patterns that I initially though were Newton's rings.
20140108-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All adds to the character dontchaknow

Regarding the pinhole sharp focus maybe worth playing with adjusting the screw ins (outs in this case). Lengthening the focus a smidge. reckon I could add another 2- 4mm that way & tape around the ring joints.

Finding a suitable material to pinprick
Card leaves fibres to block the hole - I changed this to one of my biz cards which was thinner 0.35 thick & plasticised so gave a cleaner cut hole
Next up I will likely use the off cut from the film spool - blacked out with marker pen 0.1 thick - should give a clean cut

Visual gauging the hole diam size is my only option for DIY - Using the Biz card 0.35 is a useful gauge aid
Feeler Gauges are another option - I just remembered I had these

Could also sacrifice one of the thinner feeler blades to use as the material - stiffer totally opaque

Another from Roll 1 - this printed by Tesco & scanned on my flat bed

proves bleach out down to Veho scanner (seen similar complaints)

2 different light sources overhead GU10 & uplit with LED torch hence colour change & shadow

1 minute exp

Well I might make a quick pinhole out of a drilled body cap and some tinfoil or black electric tape (and a pin) and see if its something I enjoy before investing in fancy pinholes. If anything is worth sharing I'll be sure to share it here.

Back