sadness of the trees

Without trying to be too philosophical… :) Impermanence and the passage of time stares back at me from the mirror every day :eek:
Oh please let's not degenerate into selfies on this thread…:laugh1:

You're right, that head reflected back at me in the mirror is less and less mine each day and more and more some old stranger that the 'real' me would shake his head at….
But thank the Lord that us guys mostly only need a 'shoulders up' mirror….as I think this trunk is certainly growing by more than a single growth ring per year :blush:

Over a century this tree has grown over this person's monument. Sad but some celebration of renewal

Tree of Sadness by donlaw200, on Flickrwww.flickr.com/photos/epsilon_rubicon_photos/12513501285/]
12513501285_5803f0ee6c_b.jpg
[/url]
Tree of Sadness by donlaw200, on Flickr

Two trees grow old together:
twotrees-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The root of the one on the right going across the other one at the bottom, looks like a tentative embrace. The tree on the right looks dead, so that could be creepy, but I don't think it is -- a kind of sad acceptance, rather.

Hey All,

Lots of sadness here:

Why is there sadness here? Seriously - why?

Have you ever stood in a harvested wheatfield? It too is a clearcut - are you sad when you see a harvested field? Why is that one ok and not this?

Should humans ever harvest a tree? If so then the harvest of one tree is a hole in the forest - just like the pic above is hole in the forest - why the fuss about the size of the hole?

Does mother nature kill trees? Why is it ok for her but not man?

I think it is a nice really well done image and look forward to a seeing new crop of trees in this block just like I would look forward to a new crop of wheat. Please go back in 3 or 4 years and take another pic.The biggest issue I see here is the need for a low intensity fire to remove some of the hazard.

Scaling things to human lifetime extent is irrelevant.

Not meaning to offend but sometimes you see a teachable moment. If this post is politically incorrect on this site please do delete it.

-Ed-

Sometimes things we see evoke feelings of sadness. We may project those feelings onto things that probably don't feel like we do, but the feelings are very real. It's another way people think about their place in the universe relative to everything else. I'm not vegetarian, but I do feel a bit sad when I see a little calf on my walk that will probably be dinner some day. I also acknowledge the inevitable flow of material and energy in the biosphere. We're all a mix of scientist and poet, pragmatist and idealist, and our photography is one way we explore those relationships.

Hey All,

The second image is absolutely outstanding!! Shades of Howard Hawkes. A little less corner darkening and i'd love looking at it on a wall or a monitor every day.

-Ed-

Back