Fuji X-T1 Thoughts & Samples

Thanks for your input. I've been surprised that there hasn't been any discussion of this camera over here - while over on FujiXspot there's quite a bit of interest.

Could this finally be the "weather proof" camera that people have been clamoring for? It looks good to me, although I'm not in the market for a new camera just yet.

is a weatherproof camera sans weatherproof lenses effective as a weatherproof tool?

you have a point Tony, although there are 3 weather-resistant stabilized zooms on their roadmap. So unless a shooter is above using a zoom lens, there will be options for them to take their camera out in the rain shortly.

If one's main goal is WR, there are better options. But if one is already invested in the Fuji system, they can soon add WR as an option.

Nothing special yet but the weather was too good to stay inside yesterday morning. All shot with X-T1 and nikon 105mm 2.8 (sorry, was in vignette mood so don't blame the camera for the vignetting). Files converted via LR, so all jpegs:

The more I learn about the camera, the more I like it. Manual focusing is much easier than focusing with the x-pro1. It's fast and it's easy to turn the wheels w/o taking eye off camera. The EVF is a treat, even in bright light for glass wearers.

One remark about the lens. I think the X-T1 deserves a lens like the Zeiss 135mm APO Sonnar for these type of shots. Would have made the shots more 3D-like.

p250964901-5.jpg

]View attachment 87031
View attachment 87032
p420079587-5.jpg

View attachment 87033
p512570094-5.jpg

PS: also posted at fujixspot.

We have had a few through the shop so have had a chance to play with it. It's a really lovely camera. Looks like a proper film camera and the results are superb. Focus is fast and the view finder a joy to use. It feels solid and worth every penny. I desperately want one but will wait.

I'm just finishing up a week in the Bay Area with mine and have posted tons of shots in a thread on the Xspot forum, here. I'll include a few samples here. Short story, I'm loving it. I have the 14, 18, and 23 lenses, will add the 56, and have been using a 55-200 that I may or may not keep. I sold the RX1 (to buy the Nikon Df, which I didn't end up doing) and ended up buying the XT1 and just going back to Fuji instead. The 23mm lens has almost made me forget about the RX1 - it's extra stop of aperture just about equalizes with the RX1 in terms of DOF and low light. The only fly in the ointment is DR - in really crazy DR situations, I could always seem to recover more from the RX1 than the Fuji, but that's really only messed up a couple of shots from this week that I assume the RX1 would have handled better. But overall, I'm really enjoying the XT1. It even works about as well for street work as the Nikon A since Fuji's improved it's auto-ISO implementation with the XE2 and XT1. So for the first time in a while, I'm really comfortable going out with ONE camera and a few lenses in the bag, to handle everything. Here are a few:

12867768784_71cc71db1f_b.jpg

San Francisco by ramboorider1, on Flickr

12891970624_b881b50c1c_b.jpg

San Francisco Day 2-15-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

12938753543_7257fe6f5a_b.jpg

San Francisco Day 4-356-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

12938748443_db70e14327_b.jpg

San Francisco Day 4-81-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

12961244283_0a42e0a18c_b.jpg

San Francisco Day 5-106-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

12980579523_fe086a8663_b.jpg

San Francisco Day 6-667-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

12981776953_a6daf4688e_b.jpg

San Francisco Day 6-190-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

Good lord. EXCELLENT shots, Ray. It's bonus season at work... You probably know enough about me to answer this, I would think. If I were to spring for an addition to the X100, and were teetering between the XE-2 and the XT-1, is the T worth the extra $400? I should say that contrary to common sense I am thinking I don't want the kit zoom. I've played with one on an XE-1 and I just like fast primes better. What I lack now that I want from another setup (and in this order) is:

1. Something wider than the 35 equiv I have now, and I mean wider than a 28 ideally, for interior shots and often in low light
2. Something in the 50's length that's fast as hell
3. Something in the 80's

So I clearly want that 35 1.4 lens for #2. On the wide end for #1 there seem to be a lot of tradeoffs. There's the BIG 14 2.8 with mixed reviews. There's the fast but not-quite-wide-enough (but fantastically tiny) 18 f2 with good reviews. There's the forthcoming 10-24 f4 zoom that, while not fast, has OIS, and covers the entire range I'd want up to the X100's 35mm equiv, but costs a grand by itself.

Egads.

I'd likely order the 18 f2 pancake, and the 35 1.4. Given that, is the T worth another $400 to you, Ray? I prize portability pretty highly. The T doesn't SEEM to be monstrously bigger.

Good lord. EXCELLENT shots, Ray. It's bonus season at work... You probably know enough about me to answer this, I would think. If I were to spring for an addition to the X100, and were teetering between the XE-2 and the XT-1, is the T worth the extra $400? I should say that contrary to common sense I am thinking I don't want the kit zoom. I've played with one on an XE-1 and I just like fast primes better. What I lack now that I want from another setup (and in this order) is:

1. Something wider than the 35 equiv I have now, and I mean wider than a 28 ideally, for interior shots and often in low light
2. Something in the 50's length that's fast as hell
3. Something in the 80's

So I clearly want that 35 1.4 lens for #2. On the wide end for #1 there seem to be a lot of tradeoffs. There's the BIG 14 2.8 with mixed reviews. There's the fast but not-quite-wide-enough (but fantastically tiny) 18 f2 with good reviews. There's the forthcoming 10-24 f4 zoom that, while not fast, has OIS, and covers the entire range I'd want up to the X100's 35mm equiv, but costs a grand by itself.

Egads.

I'd likely order the 18 f2 pancake, and the 35 1.4. Given that, is the T worth another $400 to you, Ray? I prize portability pretty highly. The T doesn't SEEM to be monstrously bigger.
Getting on a plane in a couple of minutes - will respond for real later...

Kyle, have you considered an X-E1? The used market is literally choked with them and they're pretty much always mint.....with the money you save, you could definitely pop for that WA zoom. That's just my 2 cents.

Back