off to Africa!

Enjoying your blog and pics Bart :). I've been to Fes too and found the Souk horribly claustrophobic and yes, predictably we got lost! However we did manage to find a young man who insisted on accompanying us back near the hotel and refused any money so I guess there are some good people there! We took the train from Fes to Marrakech, some 6 hours or so as I remember and although the train was very basic, the scenery was spectacular. Only problem was that it was Ramadan and hence no refreshments to be had on the train which meant six of us sharing a small bottle of water and two cereal bars :).

That's good to hear, Christina! Sounds like a thirsty train ride! My own ride to Marrakech wasn't without its challenges either.

Marrakech has completely surpassed my expectations; the presence of tourist hordes has made the place much more accessible than Fes, and the fact that there’s a central square where all the action is focused on also helps. But especially at night, it still remains a place by Moroccans for Moroccans, with a very thick sauce of wonderful, partying weirdness added to it.

Here we are now, entertain us!

13712356394_5d2f8eab16_b.jpg

Jmaa el Fna by bartjeej, on Flickr

13708535624_72f5efa17c_b.jpg

Siesta by bartjeej, on Flickr

13712483904_bc5c723e1a_b.jpg

Berber musicians / showmen by bartjeej, on Flickr

It must be wonderful trip, Bart.
And...congratulations with your graduation!!
Peter
Ps: i am sorry for missing your thread.

Crossed the Atlas Mountains for my first taste of the Sahara desert. . I’m absolutely amazed by the sparseness of the landscape, the way the mountains turn into plains with zero vegetation, which turn into blue-purple mountains again on the horizon. I hadn’t expected this part of the country – so close to the green Atlas mountains – to feature exactly the kind of epic desert landscapes I had been dreaming about. And then to experience all the blossoming life of an oasis in the middle of this harshness, as wel as the warmest and friendliest people in the streets I've met so far, really make this one of my favourite places in Morocco.

High and dry

13713948893_8f67beed90_b.jpg

Blossoming tree and knowledge by bartjeej, on Flickr

13846480245_77db49ae3e_b.jpg

Atlas, meet Sahara. by bartjeej, on Flickr

13708229584_bd564d4b92_b.jpg

The grass is greener in Skoura by bartjeej, on Flickr

13238894655_f8dc56c34d_b.jpg

SAM_1097_1 by bartjeej, on Flickr

Thanks Dave!
Long time no updates, but I'm still alive.

I've been skirting the edge of the Sahara, sometimes in the desert, sometimes on fertile land. Booked a five day hike around Tafraoute. The first part, to be honest, has been somewhat of a disappointment (apart from the Jebel L’Kest climb), partially due to the guides not being what I expected and partially due to the inherent character of a guided tour; I’m starting to see that, if possible, I really prefer being able to wander around without any pressure to go in this direction or that. In a way I’m happy to discover that the second part of my five-day hike will happen without a guide since I won’t be able to get lost, or so they say…

A short guide to rock(s)

13708400794_48dd14131d_b.jpg

Ameln valley sunset by bartjeej, on Flickr

13925698963_10811268e0_b.jpg

Mirrored curve by bartjeej, on Flickr

13708096243_e0b47bf80f_b.jpg

Chleuh berber music group by bartjeej, on Flickr

In terms of instruments, pretty similar, although they managed to make the string instrument (the rebab) sound like a flute. In terms of vocals, it was more of an african call-and-response thing

True! The blog is a good bit behind real events, i'm currently in Senegal. I find the Saharan music styles appeal to me more than most of the Senegalese music I've heard to far, it's just a bit sparser and less frenetic while still having lots of soul and a sound that's clearly related to, among others, blues

Hi all!

As you might know the blog was a good bit behind on real events (about 2.5 months by the time of my previous post). About a month ago, just as I was about to enter Guinea Bissau, my journey was cut short when my grandfather became gravely ill (he has since passed away). I have since gotten a few requests from friends and family to finish the blog, and I think it'd be nice for myself too. It'll be a while until the whole trip has been covered, but anyway, here's the beginning of the end!

The gorges and oases of Afella Ighir form a 40+ km loop, and it's probably the most beautiful and peaceful part of Morocco I've seen. Met some very nice people, both fellow tourists and locals, and saw some incredible landscapes. Food was delicious too. If you ever go to Morocco and want a less touristy alternative to the Dades gorge, this is the place to be.

Between a rock and a dry place

14206166417_5098e6a7f6_b.jpg
overlooking Ait Mansour by bartjeej, on Flickr

14205990608_6229dfbb4b_b.jpg
water is life by bartjeej, on Flickr

14220046340_539bf89eb4_b.jpg
rolling waves of stone by bartjeej, on Flickr

13711955523_7af30cc534_b.jpg
Friendly gentleman by bartjeej, on Flickr

14388022876_b24f3c5f50_b.jpg
Dusty desert by bartjeej, on Flickr

14388009816_46a348ed5c_b.jpg
Tiouadou sunrise 3 by bartjeej, on Flickr

Bart, I just saw this post over on the Xspot. I will offer my condolences here, as well, on your grandfather's passing. I am so sorry for you and your family.

This trip of yours has been so amazing to me, and although I haven't been following your blog lately, I do plan to read it completely. I've been reading about this "part" of the world for a number of years...and to see your photographs is wonderful. You're a good writer and I have plans to sit by the fire with a good cup of coffee or strong tea (which would be more appropriate?) and read your blog in full this winter. This is a part of the world I know I will never have the good fortune to visit in person and it is so foreign to my personal experience... Can't thank you enough for your photographs and your words - they are great gifts.

Thanks BB, both for your condolences and your compliments. Both are very much appreciated! :flowers_2:

As for the appropriateness of tea or coffee, that's a tea by... A number of country miles. In Morocco they drink a fair amount of coffee, but a lot more tea. In the other countries I visited (Mauritania in particular), tea was so ubiquitous that I got tired enough of it to feign an allergy for it (also because of the ludicrous amounts of sugar making me lightheaded). Senegal does have a bit of a coffee culture, but tea is still number one.

Green tea with mint leaves and a sensible amount of either palm sugar or honey will do nicely as a reading accompaniment though!

Green tea with mint leaves and a sensible amount of either palm sugar or honey will do nicely as a reading accompaniment though!
I will definitely take you up on this suggestion, especially during the long winter afternoons several months from now.

Good thinking about the allergies!;)

Time for a new blog post...

Ramble on

... in which I meet someone who might be even clumsier than me, see some very old and some modern architecture, drink Snickers soup and get my first ever motorcycle ride (without a helmet, don't tell my parents ;) )

Some pics (didn't take many during these days, many many more to come in the next post):

14099061234_1e4cb16135_c.jpg
Agadir girl by bartjeej, on Flickr

14095469551_de22d761e8_b.jpg
Kasbah Tizourgane by bartjeej, on Flickr

14494892984_7688295be2_b.jpg
pebbles by bartjeej, on Flickr

Back