off to Africa!

Life and general laziness kept me from updating the blog for the past >3 months, but here's another update. In this episode...

Magic Carpet Ride

... I do the most awesome thing I've ever done, followed by the most dangerous thing I've ever done. Looking back at it, I'm quite lucky to have survived, and the third reason that this blog post took so long is that, for a long time, I didn't have the courage to tell my parents just how dangerous this situation was. Anyway, here're some pics from the blog; more inside!

14624258177_82aeb08c3b_b.jpg

Scary? by bartjeej, on Flickr

14624161478_55eed9ec87_h.jpg
All aboard! by bartjeej, on Flickr

14900388905_c116605d34_h.jpg
Dragon dune by bartjeej, on Flickr

PS this episode, and particularly the magical night parts of it, is why I'm considering getting one of the Sony a7 series cameras; good results at super high ISO combined with small size and weather sealing.

Just a short little update, this blog post:
The best job in the world

... features no life-threatening situations (not for me, at least!), but does have an observation on daily life in Mauritania, some musings on the state of affairs with regard to religion, and a very exciting invitation.

Not many pics, but here're two, of a girl and her van...
15834714666_2f37ec9170_h.jpg
Anja @ bab sahara by bartjeej, on Flickr

15240877603_83d45596ae_h.jpg
Anja's trusty Mercedes van @ bab sahara by bartjeej, on Flickr

The girl, Anja, is one of the more interesting people I met in Africa, and one of only two female solo travellers I met South of Morocco...

I'm with Luke. Nothing much else happening today :)

I'm reading backwards on the blog and glad to see theres more to come. You know... theres a book in the blog, its so well written and interesting, it might be worth seeing if a publisher would take it on. Its worth a try, its also worth more than self publish but that might be a go, as well.

Luke and Sue, you guys are making me blush! :blush: :cloud-9-039:
I'm planning to print the whole thing on high quality paper once it's finished, just to have a physical record to one day show my kids in case the internet collapses... I haven't given publishing much thought yet... I'll consider it. Whichever way it goes, Thank you for your comments! :flowers_2:

Luke and Sue, you guys are making me blush! :blush: :cloud-9-039:
I'm planning to print the whole thing on high quality paper once it's finished, just to have a physical record to one day show my kids in case the internet collapses... I haven't given publishing much thought yet... I'll consider it. Whichever way it goes, Thank you for your comments! :flowers_2:

lets put it this way... its actually something I would buy. I have enjoyed reading so much :) Its a read it again thing, for me.

A new job and a new girlfriend have conspired against me working on the blog, but here's an update. In this one...

1/5th of a tourist horde

... I go deeper into the desert, and back in time to one of the most important caravan towns of the Sahara, and Mauritania's closest thing to a tourist trap - which sees far fewer tourists per year than the Eiffel tower does per second.

15678551849_c1fb9205be_h.jpg
Dunes 1, Chinguetti 0 by bartjeej, on Flickr

15871733132_6268e131a4_h.jpg
old mosque, chinguetti by bartjeej, on Flickr

15252713643_b0a667a46d_h.jpg
boubou by bartjeej, on Flickr

Took me a long time to write this one, but I think it's been worth it... in this post...

Echoes of songs

... I experience one of my highlights of the trip: a 5 day, 100 kilometer trek through the desert, and everything that entails.

16241669135_20f106409e_h.jpg
Walkabout by bartjeej, on Flickr

16308296172_6c68c1da32_h.jpg
Counting camels by bartjeej, on Flickr

16317877626_38f4a29acf_h.jpg
Neck deep / thorny issue by bartjeej, on Flickr

15835587613_d99d1bb6c9_h.jpg
Curves and camels, II by bartjeej, on Flickr

16222510249_19a72671d9_h.jpg
Tanouchert street by bartjeej, on Flickr

I think some of my best images of the trip were shot during these 5 days... plenty more inside the blog ;)

Just been reading your blog and thinking about a short trip to Mauritania, but I've got a job to finish, dang...
How are your camera and your lenses dealing with all that fine sand? I certainly wouldn't take any of my dust suckers there.

Happy trails,
Ken

Thanks, all! Ken, my main camera was a fuji x100, chosen partially because the lens doesnt extend. i added a filter, and copious amounts of electrical tape to the buttons, to increase its dust resistance. my other cameras were either waterproof, ir carried in ziploc bags and used as sparingly as possible.

i can wholeheartedly recommend mauritania, it's a truly amazing place. all of my best adventures took place there. not always the easiest place to travel, but just so, so beautiful!

Yeah, gotta take care with the Fujis, mine are a bunch of greedy dust suckers :D Heck, I live just around the corner but probably have to wait until next winter for the trip. What a fascinating part of the world! Any plans to visit Mali?
Anyway, good luck and keep the gang updated.

I've been back home for a while now, finishing the blog bit by bit. But yes i have been to Mali. I shouldn't say that all my best adventures were in Maritania, Mali was pretty awesome too (and so was Morocco). Didnt get to see everything I would've liked due to security and money constraints, but definitely worth going. It's more varied than Mauritania for sure, and I think you could spend a month there and not get bored.

The x100 performed flawlessly throughout the trip, although i did keep it in the bag during the cargo train ride and the dust storm that created. It's a solid thing, but I dont know how it wouldve fared without the filter and the tape...

I spent the better part of my life travelling, 6 years in the Himalayas and so forth but nortwest Africa is a white spot on my map. High time to change that and to look for a compact rugged camera system with adequate sealing. I certainly wouldn't take my current snappers there.
Anyway, always good to hear of fascinating spots on the planet that are not overrun by tourists.

Yet another post that's been a longggg time coming, but I finally got around to it! In this one...

Of women, bandits and a fake tan

I ruminate about the role of women, drug smugglers and oil companies in Mauritanian society, explore a caravan town, and make some more observations about daily life in this unique country.

17117975578_c61298ece2_h.jpg
Ouadane Ksar / oasis
by bartjeej, on Flickr

16746142401_826876577a_h.jpg
Silent afternoon
by bartjeej, on Flickr

16435337977_b7f5759bc9_h.jpg
Ouadane old mosque arches
by bartjeej, on Flickr

16683275184_46ff658604_h.jpg
Purple / Lime / Blue - Adrar plateau
by bartjeej, on Flickr