off to Africa!

bartjeej

Hall of Famer
Hi all!
As some of you might know, I've been planning a backpacking trip to West Africa as a graduation present to myself. Since i've never backpacked before and have never really been outside of europe except for an all inclusive resort in Turkey, it's quite exciting for me (and my family)!

Currently I'm in Tanger, Morocco. I'm writing a blog about the whole thing, in english to accommodate my international friends. Link to the first blogpost is here:
Mad dash through Europe

The photography hasn't been great yet, partially due to the rush, but alas. Here're a few pics, more in the blog post.

12325827874_460c6a17fc_b.jpg

eiffel tower by bartjeej, on Flickr

12342254784_317b8e6c78_b.jpg

st louis by bartjeej, on Flickr

Thanks all! Yes I will be careful, my family is mostly worried about kidnappings or terrorism in the sahara / sahel regions, personally I'm more worried about traffic accidents, but I'm definitely having fun so far! New blog post should follow in the next day or 2, internet situation permitting.

Good luck Bart - have a GREAT time. I spent about six months on the road in Europe and Mid-East (including going pretty deep into Egypt for my only taste of Africa) about 33 years ago and my family was worried every second. I had a few minor scrapes but nothing really dangerous and it's one of the defining periods of my life, in retrospect. I'm sooooo glad I did it. Good luck to you - I expect that Africa will teach you things you wouldn't learn any other way.

I've got the blog up on a tab in my browser and it'll stay open as I follow your adventure...

-Ray

Fes is not an easy city to get the most out of, and the people in the tourist business can be impossibly pushy or downright unpleasant... but I know it has plenty more sights to offer, and I haven’t really taken the time to deliberately get lost in the non-commercial streets either. I'd love to go back there.

We don’t need scorpions here

13238878035_48ef14fdab_b.jpg

DSCF0918 by bartjeej, on Flickr

12678273624_0fa6ee05a7_b.jpg

Metalworkers by bartjeej, on Flickr

Back