Sigma Sigma DP Series Image Thread

I had a DP1m for a little while. Amazing IQ, but the camera overall was just too big a PITA to live with (and the paucity of PP tools). But these few images I often return to for the sheer delight of their quality. Mono shots in particular have a fantastic rendering to them. Maybe I should buy another!

21890717640_4c26e91829_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Trees & Furrows by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

14963300415_79a9425b3f_o.jpg

Scottish Kirk by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

14870647080_f438d183cb_o.jpg

Man’s Best Friend by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

DP2M
9572198985_ab8f576940_k.jpg
9141497872_b3d9c3edc7_k.jpg
36092473880_7bc65eaa64_k.jpg

Spent the day with the DP2. I've not used it much. Post production is a bit limited, SPP doesnt seem to offer noise reduction for these older camera's , so i exported a tiff and applied some adjustments in DxO.

The camera is painful to use in many ways - the biggest failing imo is the LCD screen, in any sort of daylight it's almost impossible to see properly, especially for focus. But for a 6mp camera, there's a sense of clarity and bite that is hard to describe but comes through in the photo's when you see them on a decent screen.

SDIM0044dxo.jpg

SDIM0051dxo.jpg

SDIM0058dxo.jpg

SDIM0081dxo.jpg

SDIM0059dxo.jpg

SDIM0046dxodxo.jpg

SDIM0065dxo.jpg

SDIM0053dxo.jpg

SDIM0073dxo.jpg

SDIM0085dxo.jpg

SDIM0072dxo.jpg

SDIM0082dxo.jpg

Last edited:
Spent the day with the DP2. I've not used it much. Post production is a bit limited, SPP doesnt seem to offer noise reduction for these older camera's , so i exported a tiff and applied some adjustments in DxO.

The camera is painful to use in many ways - the biggest failing imo is the LCD screen, in any sort of daylight it's almost impossible to see properly, especially for focus. But for a 6mp camera, there's a sense of clarity and bite that is hard to describe but comes through in the photo's when you see them on a decent screen.
These are beautiful...!
Love the color of the rust... and the original DP2 (and DP1) handles photographing against the sun quite nicely too

These are beautiful...!
Love the color of the rust... and the original DP2 (and DP1) handles photographing against the sun quite nicely too

Interestingly, I have a couple of shots into the sun that are ruined by what I assume are the photo sites reflecting back onto the lens and bouncing around.

It seems the learning curve on the original DP's are quite high. Some shots simply don't work, the lighting is clearly wrong for the sensor and it's all a bit flat. Sometimes the focus is way off and you don't know until later. And then sometimes it all comes together and there is a look to the image that is difficult to define but just looks amazing. Sometimes it's wasted, lol! The garden tap shot is certainly nothing special as a scene, but the clarity and "pop" on monitor is simply stunning, and the green patina on the brass is more beautiful than I remember "live". Another curiosity is learning how to process them. I can see more detail in the under-bridge shot in the XF3 raw file than has made it through to the final jpeg that I processed. So, there's a learning curve there too.

I've been weighing up a full frame camera in the current sales. There are some great deals ATM. But part of me is thinking I should find a Merrill instead. I probably have the temperament for the undoubted frustrations these cameras come with, and my MFT gear can handle the fast moving work.

Here's the one with what i assume are internal reflections off the sensor.
yes, those things are an issue with the DPs... I've seen this also happen to some degree on other cameras - but on those original DPs they could be pretty severe (as seen in your example)

Depending on the amount/strength of the issue one solution to minimize the effect is with a HueCorrection (targeting the reds). Not a "100% solution", but sometimes enough to make it acceptable :)

SDIM0103dxo.jpg

SDIM0105dxo.jpg

SDIM0106dxo.jpg

SDIM0109dxo.jpg

SDIM0111dxo.jpg

SDIM0112dxo.jpg

SDIM0107dxo.jpg

SDIM0114dxo.jpg

Back