News Leica mirrorless camera

53/5.6! no aperture ring! nuff said. this aint cutting edge red badge boys--its dull edge. ): i was hoping for better than reused x vario silliness. like presidential elections, i personally have to stop putting any hope for relevance in leica.

Looks like a Samsung, but Samsung is doing waaaay more interesting stuff with lenses than these two. Not to say Leica won't at some point, but this is quite a Nex-like start if that's it...

-Ray

It looks similar to Samsung/Sony nex-3/5 series with the nex-7 tri-navi. Even the lens changing button is at the same place with Sony and comes with 16MP (Sony?) apsc sensor. At least it is not Sony Hasselblad:) 23mm lens size is nice, esp for apsc/f2...

Fake. Say what you will about the X1/X2 and X-Vario, but they are exquisitely made cameras that flaunt their lineage. I suspect the new T (if it does exist) will not be unlike an X-Vario with interchangeable lenses. Besides, the M adapter looks cheap and why would anyone at Leica (presumably the only people with access to a prototype) be using a Zeiss lens to test a new camera?

I guess I was wrong after all...

Stated as being consumer/prosumer, not enthusiast. I can see that. It does not look like a serious APS m-mount camera (chi-chi looking (yes, Samsung) and no grip).

I wonder what will happen to the X line - I assume that will remain available as the "enthusiast" line. The X Vario is phenomenal and every now and then it sparks an interest in me in the X2, but the Ricoh GR remains my go-to all-around single focal length camera.

In any case, I don't think this new "T" camera is aimed at us "serious" compactors.

Leica T 701 camera website is now live - Leica Rumors
Leica T type 701 mirrorless camera announcement tomorrow - Photo Rumors

Leica-T-type-701-mirrorless-camera-with-23mm-lens.jpg

Leica-T-type-701-mirrorless-camera-with-18-56mm-lens.jpg

LEICA-T-DETAILS-ALLES-AUF-SCHIRM_teaser-480x320.png

Leica-T-type-701-mirrorless-camera-black.jpg

Leica-T-type-701-mirrorless-camera-accessories.jpg

First hands-on:
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2014/04/leica-t-test/

They are certainly doing their best to show it as a system, not just a new body and a couple of lenses. The M adapter makes gives it access to a complete line of excellent lenses, and the assorted bits and pieces like multiple colours, cases, holsters, bags, a flash and a viewfinder round it out.

Not sure if I would buy one, though! If I was in the market for an aps-c body that will take M lenses and also have its own lens system, I might be tempted by the new Sony A6000. The A7 seems like a bit of a bust for RF lenses, particularly wider ones, so aps-c might still be the way to go for now.

And this is one problem that the T will face with photography enthusiasts. It will come into competition with the Sony A series which is quite mature, has an inbuilt EVF, more bells and whistles, and an existing lens system (albeit not much bigger). The T seems more for the fashion conscious crowd that wants a 'Leica', but attempts to cater to the RF lens crowd, too.

It might be a great camera. Certainly, it will be well built and feel like an absolute gem due to the unibody construction. The touchscreen interface and dual controls could work really well, or be a bust for those who want dedicated dials and buttons. We shall see!

One glance at my camera to know its settings in a fraction of a second as I`m raising it to frame, compose and take the shot is what I want. And Leica shows up with a red batched screen controlled soap bar and lenses without aperture rings. :(

Y'know what? There are some really good ideas in play here... BUT the killers will be the price, handling and lack of a VF. I don't care how beautiful the bokeh on the outputs, if it is not enjoyable to use, it won't get used - it's as simple as that.

My first impressions are that it seems pretty darn good. I'm not going to talk about prices because that is a very individual thing. Just finished looking at Steve Huff's video and reading his review.

Though I'm certainly not sending in an order now, I will remain focussed on the feedback and reviews here and on other sites to come. Am assuming (though we know how foolish assumptions can be) that one can make one of the two dials control exposure compensation.

P.S. Thanks for those links, serhan - now I can procrastinate my daily life even more by more reading!:D

Jono's article - which I'm in the middle of reading - answered my contols question:
The two dials function depending on the Mode chosen:
P mode - the left dial is user configurable (and sticky) the right dial is program shift
A mode - the left dial is user configurable (and sticky) the right dial is Aperture
S mode - the left dial is user configurable (and sticky) the right dial is Shutter Speed
M mode - the left dial is Aperture, the right dial Shutter speed

This varies slightly with M lenses attached via the adapter, more about that later.
Configuring the left hand dial is done simply by tapping it’s icon and choosing from a list.

Even though it's easy for me to see that this is *not* the camera for me, it's actually a lot more interesting than I thought. I could even live with most of the pricing scheme as far as the camera itself and the lenses are concerned (I wouldn't buy the zoom anyway - so I'd end up with something around $3600 or so for body and 23mm f/2 - not cheap, but not too expensive for what appears to be a real Leica in spite of the body design). But what really turns me off is the pricing of the accessories - the attachable EVF for $600? The M adaptor for $600? That's really offending considering what you actually get. You know, I'd understand $400 each (which would still be overpriced, but sort of bearable - Leica premium and all), but given the fact that the whole camera doesn't make a lot of sense *unless* you buy those to accessories (at least if you're going to enjoy the whole Leica experience), it's almost offensive. But I have to admit that the camera itself appears to be way more appealing than I thought, given the specs.

Anyhow, it's almost a relief that this camera is what it is - so I can go back to using the gear I have and reserving my GAS for lenses until something comes out that really ups the ante on handling by leaving out most of the gadgetery that has crawled into digital cameras over the years. I'd really like something affordable that handles like a *real* camera instead of a Gameboy ... Well, actually, I don't think the T handles that badly from what I've seen so far - I'm just really fed up with touchscreens, menus and multi-functional buttons, keys and dials; give me the important stuff like an aperture ring on the lens, a shutter speed dial *and* a true viewfinder that deserves that name (not just a hole with lenses in it), along with a couple of dedicated buttons and a menu I only have to use when setting up the camera (once!), and I'm going to be truely happy. Given the way things are going, this will probably never happen (mainly because of the "affordable" part - if I had money to throw away, I'd know where to look).

M.

... so I'd end up with something around $3600 or so for body and 23mm f/2 - not cheap, but not too expensive for what appears to be a real Leica in spite of the body design). But what really turns me off is the pricing of the accessories - the attachable EVF for $600?.

I know this is beating a dead horse (i.e. Leica and pricing), but hard for me to figure out the market for this (outside of a Hasselblad Lunar-like play) when you can get an RX1 with viewfinder new for $3200, not to mention, a nice Fuji XT-1 with 23/1.4 and great zoom for $2600 (not counting any lens rebates). Both of those competing options seem to be more Leica-like in their controls, etc. :confused:

Back