News Leica mirrorless camera

I know this is beating a dead horse (i.e. Leica and pricing), but hard for me to figure out the market for this (outside of a Hasselblad Lunar-like play) when you can get an RX1 with viewfinder new for $3200, not to mention, a nice Fuji XT-1 with 23/1.4 and great zoom for $2600 (not counting any lens rebates). Both of those competing options seem to be more Leica-like in their controls, etc. :confused:

I have to agree - specifically since both your suggestions seem more Leica-like than this Leica. But again, this *is* a nice camera - just not one geared for enthusiasts, as most of us seem to have hoped.

M.

EDIT: All this might actually mean that people like the ones here on SC aren't considered a major market - and that's not entirely improbable :rolleyes:

New Leica T Camera System For The Smartphone Generation <- behold the title!

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that between us, we own more cameras than the much larger group of "average" or "amateur" users ...

They will be many that just won't open their wallet for one of these but what most will overlook is what Leica has done differently than all the rest.

1. No battery door to break.
2. Built-in 16gb of RAM
3. Touch screen that works like your phone
4. Phone app to control the camera remotely
5. With App instantly move files from camera - phone - social media
6. M adapter from the get go

Whether these things matter, Leica has decided through their research that these things do matter. I think they got some advice from Jonathan Ives while he was designing a Special Edition M.

Looks like an interesting product. It's certainly more compelling to me than the X-Vario. The pricing of the lenses bites me. No matter how optically perfect these lenses might be, as a matter of personal opinion, I don't think I can ever plunk $2000+ in a slow zoom lens.

Looks like an interesting product. It's certainly more compelling to me than the X-Vario. The pricing of the lenses bites me. No matter how optically perfect these lenses might be, as a matter of personal opinion, I don't think I can ever plunk $2000+ in a slow zoom lens.

This Leica is not meant for me either, but neither are any of the other Fuji, Sony, or Olympus cameras. I'm saving for a 75 Lux. :tongue:

They will be many that just won't open their wallet for one of these but what most will overlook is what Leica has done differently than all the rest.

2. Built-in 16gb of RAM

Whether these things matter, Leica has decided through their research that these things do matter. I think they got some advice from Jonathan Ives while he was designing a Special Edition M.

No offense Duane, but any list that starts with "no battery door to break" is a bad joke. And while the 16GB internal memory is a nice idea, a decent SD card is hardly a burden for any of us. I won't go on.

This particular Leica looks like a nod to style more than anything, and that's fine by me. Folks with more disposable income than I will ever have certainly have a right to buy pricey cameras. The irony in that, if you believe DPRs initial comments, is that the JPEG output is not so good, so it would probably take an enthusiast-type user who shoots raw and doesn't mind processing to really get the most out the T.

It is interesting to read the comments around the Internet about the T. Cue up the usual responses... "overpriced", "no tilting LCD", "slow", "no weatherproofing" (really, folks? are ya going to take that thing out into a blizzard)...

But what's really interesting to me is that most people don't really seem to be able to think outside of themselves and what they want in a camera. Or as if they simply want to join the chorus and claim, "oh yeah, I think this is a silly camera too..."

But take a step back. The Leica is a little confusing as to who it's for, but it probably is more of a statement piece than anything else. Billet aluminum, clean lines, precisely styled design and components, full mobile-like touchscreen... while so many new cameras overtly scream "retro" the Leica T is anything but. It is pure modern design and forward-thinking technology (outside of IQ). This, from a company sometimes considered an anachronism. It also expresses the capabilities of their factory in Germany - production becomes a part of the camera design. There's a story there; anyone see the video about how the aluminium case is precisely manufactured for the new Mac Pro...? It's not just another camera.

Nice camera, not for me, and that's just fine.

2. Built-in 16gb of RAM

Nos. 3 through 6 aren't really unique features though.

No offense Duane, but any list that starts with "no battery door to break" is a bad joke. And while the 16GB internal memory is a nice idea, a decent SD card is hardly a burden for any of us. I won't go on.

This particular Leica looks like a nod to style more than anything, and that's fine by me. Folks with more disposable income than I will ever have certainly have a right to buy pricey cameras. The irony in that, if you believe DPRs initial comments, is that the JPEG output is not so good, so it would probably take an enthusiast-type user who shoots raw and doesn't mind processing to really get the most out the T.

I think that built-in memory makes perfect sense in a modern digital camera (in truth, a mini computer), although I would also include an SD card slot for larger capacity. But having 8-16 GBs of internal memory is very convenient, and in regards to the Leica T it goes right along with the design ethos.

I've never broken a battery door, but I did learn that the Nikon Df battery door is designed to automatically pop-off if stressed, which I thought was a good design.

The comments from other reviewers, such as Sean Reid, imply that the JPGs are actually pretty good.

This camera is not for me either as I see its not yours. However, I admire those that are willing to think outside of the box. It seems the Asian camera manufacturers if they had room would add even more buttons to the back of their cameras if they could.

I only shoot RAW so the JPG thing is a non issue. I'd rather be the one making my processing decisions not an engineer. But for a quick image to quickly share its still hard to beat my iPhone.

I think that built-in memory makes perfect sense in a modern digital camera (in truth, a mini computer), although I would also include an SD card slot for larger capacity. But having 8-16 GBs of internal memory is very convenient, and in regards to the Leica T it goes right along with the design ethos.

As far as I've read (I think it was on Steve Huff's site, but I may be mistaken), there actually *is* an additional SD card slot - but anyhow, the on-board storage, while not a first (Nikon S01), is a nice touch.

And regarding Duane's take on the whole, I think he's got a very vaild point in that this is very much the enthusiasts camera if you're into the smartphone paradigm of taking pictures ... I am not, but many might be.

M.

I was referring to the way they have implemented those features that may not be unique but are easier to use than what others have done in the past.

Wifi connectivity with regards to using a remote viewfinder or image transfer to phone tablet is a very quick and easy process on current Samsung and Olympus cameras, and I can't imagine that Fuji, Panasonic, Canon et al are a struggle either.

Well, actually, I don't think the T handles that badly from what I've seen so far - I'm just really fed up with touchscreens, menus and multi-functional buttons, keys and dials; give me the important stuff like an aperture ring on the lens, a shutter speed dial *and* a true viewfinder that deserves that name (not just a hole with lenses in it), along with a couple of dedicated buttons and a menu I only have to use when setting up the camera (once!), and I'm going to be truely happy. Given the way things are going, this will probably never happen (mainly because of the "affordable" part - if I had money to throw away, I'd know where to look).

M.
How is this fantasy camera of yours different than a Fuji X-Pro, XE1, XE2, or XT1 with two or three of their excellent primes?

No touch screens. Aperture rings, dedicated shutter speed dials, exposure comp dials and, in one case, ISO dial. A few programmable buttons such that once you set it up to your liking you rarely have to mess with the menus at all. And pretty much anything you'd need to go into the menus for available in one easily available quick menu. And a real OVF in the Pro and real EVFs in the others.

-Ray

I like the look of it, but if I had the money to buy the body and lens. I think I would use that money toward the new Sigma Quattro,s. And I know nothing about those cameras yet.
My new iphone does a great job of video and snap and share.

Hmmm ... so for those who want a "mac-like" experience, with Leica-IQ as the output.

I dunno, from what I see of BB Wylie Walden's iPhone shots, I don't see a problem with IQ on the iPhone for images - it's all about the person taking the snap and doing the processing. :)

This camera is unique in its constellation of features. Aluminium unibody construction, highly simplified and yet very customizable user interface, and performance at least on par with the competition. Plus, it looks gorgeous. I'd be more inclined to buy the T and zoom lens than the X Vario, as I would be able to use a wide range of lenses on the T.

I'll have to add this to the 'stuff to buy later' list, because right now, I'm still very happy with the Ricoh GXR, and I've got money earmarked for the Panasonic GH4. 4K video in the GH series form factor is a perfect upgrade for me.

So they put the usual and slightly old in the tooth 16MP Sony aps-c sensor into an Apple inspired soap bar shaped Aluminum unibody and borrow Samsung`s touch screen controlled UI to call it a USD 1900 Leica body sans EVF. Where is the technological innovation, Leica? The one we enjoyed with the M9, the first FF compact, the X1, the first aps-c jacket pocket solution?

Back